Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairman fixes military wife's broken furnace.

"When a military wife’s furnace broke down, a Pennsylvania repairman
stepped in and fixed the malfunctioning unit at a huge discount.

He charged her $1.

“He said that the $1 was a joke and to thank my husband for his
service,” Bridget Stevens wrote in a since-deleted Facebook post that
has gone viral.

Paul Betlyn of Moon Township’s Betlyn Heating and Cooling said the job
normally would have cost about $150, but he gave Stevens, a mother of
two, a “deployment discount.”"

Story:

https://tinyurl.com/h5md2o2
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/25/2016 10:54 AM, Oren wrote:
"When a military wife’s furnace broke down, a Pennsylvania repairman
stepped in and fixed the malfunctioning unit at a huge discount.

He charged her $1.

“He said that the $1 was a joke and to thank my husband for his
service,” Bridget Stevens wrote in a since-deleted Facebook post that
has gone viral.

Paul Betlyn of Moon Township’s Betlyn Heating and Cooling said the job
normally would have cost about $150, but he gave Stevens, a mother of
two, a “deployment discount.”"

Story:

https://tinyurl.com/h5md2o2

I just read that about 10 minutes before you posted.
It was an extremely decent thing to do, especially
since it is very important to not have problems
back home that would distract the deployed member
and get him killed.

I have a customer who's husband foolishly called her on his
cell phone while on patrol, she said she heard popping
and he said "Honey, I've got to go. They are shooting
at us." He wasn't able to call her back for two weeks.
You have no idea the fear she went through!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/25/2016 01:58 PM, T wrote:
[...]

It's nice to once in a while hear some good news.

When I was drafted into the Army back in 1969 I was pretty shocked that
I often got worse treatment as a GI than when I was a long haired hippie.

There were some good stories though. I still recall that when I got out
in 1971 and had to bring my 1953 Chevy 3100 in for one of the few
repairs I could not do myself, the repairs cost between $1 and $7.50
which even then was way under-priced.

BTW: I just found a Facebook page for my old unit over in Germany and
have gotten in contact with several of my old buddies. Someone even
posted a photo of the compound from 1933 when, as they said, it was
under "previous management"!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo" wrote in message

stuff snipped about furnace repair

It's nice to once in a while hear some good news.

It's also nice to see people doing more than just saying "thank you for your
service" and instead backing it up with deeds. I guess it's now up to us to
back up that sentiment:

“My grandfather was a milkman during the Great Depression and many times
he’d go to the door and the woman didn’t have any money for milk. But the
baby was crying in the background. So he’d put the milk on the table,”
Betlyn told ABC News. “And when I heard about Bridget with her husband being
deployed…I put the milk on the table.”
Betlyn has since started a “Military Deployment Kisses Fund” on
gofundme.com. The aim is to raise money to send families overseas to meet
with loved ones during lengthy deployments. He’s raised nearly $1,500 in
three days.

https://www.gofundme.com/78kd2fuk

(What an unfortunate choice of letters in the autogenned URL!)

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2016 1:54 PM, Oren wrote:
"When a military wife’s furnace broke down, a Pennsylvania repairman
stepped in and fixed the malfunctioning unit at a huge discount.

He charged her $1.

“He said that the $1 was a joke and to thank my husband for his
service,” Bridget Stevens wrote in a since-deleted Facebook post that
has gone viral.

Paul Betlyn of Moon Township’s Betlyn Heating and Cooling said the job
normally would have cost about $150, but he gave Stevens, a mother of
two, a “deployment discount.”"

Story:

https://tinyurl.com/h5md2o2

I hope his is richly blessed for his kindness.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/25/2016 04:34 PM, Robert Green wrote:
"philo" wrote in message

[...]

yeah.

Well I never could forget my father's stories about the Depression, his
father and uncles had a sales route (eggs) and would be gone for several
days at a time.

One day my dad had to go to the store with a dime to get a loaf of bread
but the price had been raised to 11 cents. Until my grandfather returned
there was not one more penny in the household and the storekeeper did
not let my dad "owe" the remaining penny.

He went home crying and without bread.

I think it was about that time that he started trapping pigeons to
supplement the family diet.

Only once in my life was a short on "food money" but I found a lead pipe
and took it to the junk yard and got $1.75 which was added to the two
bucks I already had.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 18:11:02 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Story:

https://tinyurl.com/h5md2o2

I hope his is richly blessed for his kindness.

I'm sure he will be.

I was at the corner store this morning and overheard a story of a
woman that experienced local fraud on her credit card. Then I hear her
mention she "felt like jumping of the bridge". I stepped in and told
my story and what she can do, how to get her money back, etc.. We
later talked outside. She seemed to be in a better mood just by
talking to her. Store clerks also gave her assurances.

When I was a kid, ~ age 8, I complained about a pair of shoes mom
bought me (didn't like them). Mom said, "just think of the man that
has no feet." I'll never forget that lesson to be humble.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2016 6:59 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 18:11:02 -0500, Stormin Mormon
I hope his is richly blessed for his kindness.

I'm sure he will be.

I was at the corner store this morning and overheard a story of a
woman that experienced local fraud on her credit card. Then I hear her
mention she "felt like jumping of the bridge". I stepped in and told
my story and what she can do, how to get her money back, etc.. We
later talked outside. She seemed to be in a better mood just by
talking to her. Store clerks also gave her assurances.

When I was a kid, ~ age 8, I complained about a pair of shoes mom
bought me (didn't like them). Mom said, "just think of the man that
has no feet." I'll never forget that lesson to be humble.

One time when I attended a wedding, Mom gave me a
choice of two pair of shoes. I chose the comfortable
ones, and she INSISTED on the other pair. I should
ought told her to take a flying leap. She spent the
entire day listing (repeatedly) all the men at the
wedding with uncomfortable shoes. I never could figure
out how that made my feet feel better.

You can be humble all you want, I'll never let Mom
do that to me again.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2016 6:59 PM, Oren wrote:
When I was a kid, ~ age 8, I complained about a pair of shoes mom
bought me (didn't like them). Mom said, "just think of the man that
has no feet." I'll never forget that lesson to be humble.

Military treatment to uncomfortable shoes in less than
12 hours. I wonder if there is a speed record for that
kind of drift?

"I played left drift in college."
(Hawkeye Pierce, responding to a General.)

--
..
Christopher A. Young