Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DOOR BELL SAGA - PART II

In ,
Kate typed:
On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 11:26:19 AM UTC-8, TomR wrote:
. . . ,
My suggestion is to just buy a whole new hardwired door bell kit --
including the transformer etc. -- that is the type and style that
you want to have. Then, have a handyman/woman-type person install
the new one and completely remove and replace the old one --
including the transformer and all.

Who knows what's wrong with the system that you have now, but unless
you want to become an expert in diagnosing and solving the mystery
of the door bell button light problem, it would make more sense to
just replace the whole system.

Good luck.

Thank you Tom R and all the others who have helped. This group has
always been very helpful, which is why I come back.

I have not spent much money on this doorbell problem. I had the
electrician out once, and he gave me a year warranty on the work.
That year is not up yet. The other doorbell buttons I have replaced
myself. Yes, they were cheap, but the only kind Home Depot had.
Another reason I need to just get a new kit and be done with it. I
know I could do without a light, but I just like things to work like
they should.

While I am quite handy, I know nothing about electrical things, and
am a wimp when it comes to messing with it, let alone using a meter
which I know nothing about.

My plan is just as you suggested: getting an entire new doorbell
kit, along with the right transformer. Right now, I am not sure
where the old transformer is but I have a hunch it is behind my
electrical fuse box cover. I don't even know if that is code. If it
is not there, I don't think I can safely install a second transformer
somewhere else, but I am not sure about this. If we can't find the
transformer, I will have someone wire nut the ends of the wires and
be done with it. I can install a battery operated doorbell myself,
but I think they sound cheesy.

Thanks for all of the help, and I apologize that I ruffled some
feathers.

You didn't ruffle any feathers as far as I am concerned or could see.

It may or may not be easy to find out where the transformer is located
depending on the layout and type of house that you have. For example, if
you happen to have a house with a basement that is not finished and has open
ceilings and an electric panel in the basement, you can probably easily find
the transformer and the doorbell wiring. That's because so most of the
electrical wiring circuits are visible just by looking at the ceiling and
the electric panel. And, if that is what you have, you can probably look
under the front door area in the basement (unless the front door is over a
porch that is not over the basement area) and you may see thinner doorbell
wires coming into the basement under near the door area. You can usually
follow them back to a transformer.

If you Google "doorbell transformer" and then click on Google Images, you'll
see lots of photos of doorbell transformers. Some of the photos show the
transformers attached to the side of an electrical junction box. Often the
transformer is attached to a junction box, and the 110-volt power to the
transformer is coming from inside the box. Coming off of the transformer
are the smaller low voltage doorbell wires.

If you happen to have the above situation, and you can see the transformer
and doorbell wires, then installing a whole new doorbell system will be easy
since all of the wires are visible. Then the handyman/woman, an
electrician, or you (if you are feeling brave) can just switch out the
components of the old doorbell system with the new one using all of the
existing wiring. It eliminates having to run any new wires.

Or, since you said you were able to contact the manufacturer of your
doorbell system, you may be able to try to buy another replacement doorbell
switch that is made by the same manufacturer and try using that and see how
long it lasts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2016 6:21 PM, Don Y wrote:
Of course, they never wanted to deal with that "problem" and would
just cajole me into getting the remaining systems up and running
(so they wouldn't incur performance penalties).

Then, the problem would repeat a couple of months later.

I wonder what they did after I left the firm? :

Hired another repair guy to do what you used to do?

--
..
Christopher A. Young