Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default eReader options

SWMBO is complaining that the library is turning more and more to
ebooks (do away with the brick&mortar facilities and let amazon
act as the "library" -- some sort of contract they've hammered out).

She's not keen on giving up look/feel of paper. But, figures there's
no other option for some of these titles (if library has it in *any*
form, they will not process a request to find a "paper copy" at some
OTHER library in the next town, etc.)

I've moved much of my technical library to electronic form (simply
can't afford to keep all that paper on shelves, here!) and do so with
a "tablet PC". It gives me a decent screen size (~12") so that I can
view typical 8.5x11 pages/sheets in full size (assuming there is a half
inch margin on the page -- which the display doesn't need to reproduce!).

Also gives me color, the ability to make annotations with the pen,
support for external media, non-proprietary file formats AND other
utilities -- things that aren't usually present in an eReader (which
tries to be smaller, lighter and run for long periods off battery).

I offered to build her an identical machine but she's not keen on
the size (she's used to reading paperbacks or hard-bound editions
which typically don't have/need the larger page size that the materials
I read require). And, the things she reads tend not to have illustrations,
charts, "color", etc.

So, anyone with a fair bit of first-hand experience willing to share
observations as to what they like/dislike about *their* eReader
(make/model)? ISTR at least one unit only allowed you to put
materials onto it via a wireless link -- to a *vendor*! I'm not
sure how that will work with the library's offerings. Nor how
you can later "backup" those acquisitions onto some other media
(lest your eReader *fail*).

[These are all issues that my "solution" avoided...]