Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Call blockers

On 1/8/2016 2:22 PM, sms wrote:
On 1/8/2016 11:16 AM, Frank wrote:

snip

I, too, have gotten calls from myself.

Wife gets mad at me because I often pick up and become a loose cannon.

Never know myself what I might say.

She tells me I could go to jail for asking to speak to a white person or
something like that.

I tell her that if they come after me, I will be called a national
hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIVfrBFc5og

Funny but sounds like a set-up prank. I've heard a lot of these on you
tube.

Most callers here have poor English and are not even in the USA.

Mentioned elsewhere that I learned a few choice words in Hindi and use
them. I can recognize an Indian accent and one actually called me back
to ask me why I called him a ****ing Indian
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 8, 2016 at 4:17:56 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 11:48:44 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
I got a Pro Call Blocker and found it lacking. Very poor instructions.
Erased contacts without my telling it to. Wouldn't pass calls to telephone
system when in series. Many other problems. I sent it back today.

Any suggestions for a better one?

I may be wong but I'm afraid these gadgets may not be as helpful as we
would hope. I would think the computer programs telemarketers use would
change their fake caller id if a call was blocked until it goes through. I
would think life would be much better if the No Call List was enforced and
phone companies protected against fake caller ids and perhaps blocked ids.

What do you think?

I dumped my landline and put my cell phone on "airplane mode" at
bedtime.

Cindy Hamilton

Is that the poor man's version of the Mile High Club? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 8, 2016 at 10:06:03 PM UTC-6, sms wrote:
On 1/8/2016 11:16 AM, Frank wrote:

snip

I, too, have gotten calls from myself.

Wife gets mad at me because I often pick up and become a loose cannon.

Never know myself what I might say.

She tells me I could go to jail for asking to speak to a white person or
something like that.

I tell her that if they come after me, I will be called a national hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIVfrBFc5og

The last time I was home and received a call from a telepest, I'd answer to phone as a crazed Asian man. I'd scream at them and asked who told them they could use my phone and on and on until I threatened to blow up their house. I also answer as a stroke victim with extremely slurred unintelligible speech. I had a lot of other fun messing with them. Me and my brothers go nuts on them with my baby brother being the worst. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Phone Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 8, 2016 at 10:08:45 PM UTC-6, Frank wrote:
On 1/8/2016 2:22 PM, sms wrote:
On 1/8/2016 11:16 AM, Frank wrote:

snip

I, too, have gotten calls from myself.

Wife gets mad at me because I often pick up and become a loose cannon.

Never know myself what I might say.

She tells me I could go to jail for asking to speak to a white person or
something like that.

I tell her that if they come after me, I will be called a national
hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIVfrBFc5og

Funny but sounds like a set-up prank. I've heard a lot of these on you
tube.

Most callers here have poor English and are not even in the USA.

Mentioned elsewhere that I learned a few choice words in Hindi and use
them. I can recognize an Indian accent and one actually called me back
to ask me why I called him a ****ing Indian

I had a roommate here for a while who had a knee replacement and I asked him about telemarketers and tech support calls he'd been on where there was a fellow from India on the other end of the call. He was from Southern India and when he spoke Hindi to the person, they told him that they were not allowed to speak any other language except English. There are supervisors listening in on the calls and he could be fired for breaking the rules. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Support Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dee Dee is offline

KenK wrote in
:

I got a Pro Call Blocker and found it lacking. Very poor
instructions. Erased contacts without my telling it to. Wouldn't
pass calls to telephone system when in series. Many other
problems. I sent it back today.

Any suggestions for a better one?

I may be wong but I'm afraid these gadgets may not be as helpful
as we would hope. I would think the computer programs
telemarketers use would change their fake caller id if a call was
blocked until it goes through. I would think life would be much
better if the No Call List was enforced and phone companies
protected against fake caller ids and perhaps blocked ids.

What do you think?

TIA

I get maybe one or two unwanted calls a month, mostly from area codes I
haven't blocked yet.

I bought an Ooma Telo and subscribe to their Premier service which
includes NoMoRobo as well as custom blacklisting using wildcards for
number (but not name/C-ID). The Telo was $120 (now $110 on Amazon),
and the Premier service is $14/month ($10 + $4 taxes).

Dee

Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Per Dan Espen:
nomorobo works for me.

Visit www.nomorobo.com.

They probably tell you on the web site, but just to prime you....
NoMoRobo requires that you have two extra-charge features on your phone:
CallerID and Simultaneous Ring.

Actually, not extra charge with FIOS.
The service is free.
The sign up process checks to see if your phone is suitable.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Dan Espen:
Actually, not extra charge with FIOS.

I think that is because those services are already in the FIOS package
you have.

I have plain-vanilla FIOS ($13.65/month for the phone) and so not have
either service.
--
Pete Cresswell