Posted to alt.home.repair

Default why high current ac plugs harder to remove?

Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC
plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of
its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone
know why?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 8:02:04 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:
Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC
plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of
its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone
know why?

TIA

All things being the same (receptacle/same type plug)..."your imagination"!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Jan 2016 14:01:59 GMT, KenK wrote:

Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC
plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of
its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone
know why?

TIA

Do you mean the plug was easier to remove before the current went
through it?

Or do you just mean the big plugs capable of high current are harder
to remove?

Sort of related: I've found that no one sells the female end of
extension cords that have 3 outlets and go on simple lamp wire. Now
everything is heavy-duty, and the only one meant for lampcord has only
one outlet. Are light-weight extension cords a violation of code or
FTC rules or something?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/04/2016 11:41 AM, KenK wrote:
Micky wrote in
:

On 4 Jan 2016 14:01:59 GMT, KenK wrote:

Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC
plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of
its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone
know why?

TIA

Do you mean the plug was easier to remove before the current went
through it?

Yes

The higher current may have heated the contacts a bit and expanded them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 8:02:04 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:
Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC
plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of
its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone
know why?

TIA

The heavier duty plugs have a u-shaped ground prong that is harder to pull out than plugs with round ground prongs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 8:02:04 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:
Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC
plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of
its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone
know why?

TIA

Heavier-duty outlets tend to be manufactured with thicker copper that is "stiffer" than the thinner copper used in Walmart type outlets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Jan 2016 14:01:59 GMT, KenK wrote:

Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC
plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of
its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone
know why?

TIA

If you run too much power thru an outlet and cord, you can actually WELD
the cord's prongs to the outlet contacts. Then you may never remove it.
I've seen this happen several times. The only solution is to replace
both the outlet and the cord (or the plug on the cord).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 23:13:03 -0500, wrote:

Heavier-duty outlets tend to be manufactured with thicker copper that
is "stiffer" than the thinner copper used in Walmart type outlets.

Generally brass, actually

YES. I have never seen copper contacts!
They are always brass.