Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components
Chris W

Default very high current DC switch

Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced ($30 or less)
switch that can handle at least 200 amps at 13.8V?

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components
Peter A Forbes

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:09:48 -0500, Chris W wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced ($30 or less)
switch that can handle at least 200 amps at 13.8V?

Have you thought of contactors?

Car starter solenoids, battery vehicle contactors etc?

Just a thought, DC switches are getting rarer by the year, we use some Schneider
Group switches that are fast breaking but way outside your budget.

Peter
--
Peter & Rita Forbes
Email:
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components
JeffM

a reasonably priced ($30 or less) switch
that can handle at least 200 amps at 13.8V?
Chris W
KE5GIX

http://www.google.com/images?q=Ford+solenoid
Availaible in junkyards even cheaper.

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components
Tim Williams

"Peter A Forbes" wrote in message
Have you thought of contactors?

As I recall, contactors are rape. Hell, the MOSFETs to do that (say, 8 x
IRFZ46N, maybe $10) are cheaper than the $1/amp I recall advertised. YMMV..

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components
Bill Janssen

Chris W wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced ($30 or less)
switch that can handle at least 200 amps at 13.8V?

Don't know about the $30.00 or less but Marine and RV places have a
battery selector switch.

Bill K7NOM

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components
Peter A Forbes

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:55:44 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Peter A Forbes" wrote in message
.. .
Have you thought of contactors?

As I recall, contactors are rape. Hell, the MOSFETs to do that (say, 8 x
IRFZ46N, maybe $10) are cheaper than the $1/amp I recall advertised. YMMV..

Tim

We pay £18 or so for a 180A rated 28V DC continuously rated coil, or
higher/lower price depending on output.

We make large industrial chargers for the rail industry and use these for output
cutoff.

Have a look at Albright International's website:

http://www.albright.co.uk/

We use the SW80, SW180, SW200 and SW201 (SW201 has Change-over contacts)

If any of those meet your needs, we can probably help source some in small
numbers for you or they may have agents over in the USA.

We only use 28V DC continuously rated coils (most other voltages are available)
and have SW80 and SW180 on the shelf in the stores here.

HTH

Peter
--
Peter & Rita Forbes
Email:
Web:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components
Jasen Betts

On 2006-06-14, Chris W wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced ($30 or less)
switch that can handle at least 200 amps at 13.8V?

maybe an old starter switch (from before solenoids/relays were used)

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components
Roy L. Fuchs

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:34:58 -0000, Jasen Betts
Gave us:

On 2006-06-14, Chris W wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced ($30 or less)
switch that can handle at least 200 amps at 13.8V?

maybe an old starter switch (from before solenoids/relays were used)

http://205.243.100.155/frames/Newgap2a.jpg

Hahahahaahahahaa! Thousands of Amps!
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components
Jamie

Chris W wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced ($30 or less)
switch that can handle at least 200 amps at 13.8V?

go to your auto parts store and ask for a
out board starter solenoid.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components
default

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:09:48 -0500, Chris W wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced ($30 or less)
switch that can handle at least 200 amps at 13.8V?

Momentary:
Starter solenoid (they usually have a limited duty cycle)

Sustained contact:
Industrial power contactor (Relay)

Battery Selector switch as used on Boats -(usually four position
Battery #1, Battery #2, Both, Off)

Check an auto parts store for a battery switch - usually designed to
mount on the battery terminal to break contact to prevent loads and
leakage from running down the battery while in storage, or to prevent
vehicle theft.

A Big Old knife switch - scarcer than hen's teeth, but relatively easy
to make.

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components
John

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:09:48 -0500, Chris W wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced ($30 or less)
switch that can handle at least 200 amps at 13.8V?

IGBT transistor rated at 200amps - $30
http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=15539+QT