Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components
Peter A Forbes

Default very high current DC switch

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:55:44 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Peter A Forbes" wrote in message
.. .
Have you thought of contactors?

As I recall, contactors are rape. Hell, the MOSFETs to do that (say, 8 x
IRFZ46N, maybe $10) are cheaper than the $1/amp I recall advertised. YMMV..

Tim

We pay £18 or so for a 180A rated 28V DC continuously rated coil, or
higher/lower price depending on output.

We make large industrial chargers for the rail industry and use these for output
cutoff.

Have a look at Albright International's website:

http://www.albright.co.uk/

We use the SW80, SW180, SW200 and SW201 (SW201 has Change-over contacts)

If any of those meet your needs, we can probably help source some in small
numbers for you or they may have agents over in the USA.

We only use 28V DC continuously rated coils (most other voltages are available)
and have SW80 and SW180 on the shelf in the stores here.

HTH

Peter
--
Peter & Rita Forbes