DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   why high current ac plugs harder to remove? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/388743-why-high-current-ac-plugs-harder-remove.html)

KenK January 4th 16 02:01 PM

why high current ac plugs harder to remove?

Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC
plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of
its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone
know why?

TIA

bob_villain January 4th 16 02:17 PM

On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 8:02:04 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:
Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC
plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of
its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone
know why?

TIA

All things being the same (receptacle/same type plug)..."your imagination"!

micky January 4th 16 02:50 PM

On 4 Jan 2016 14:01:59 GMT, KenK wrote:

Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC
plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of
its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone
know why?

TIA

Do you mean the plug was easier to remove before the current went
through it?

Or do you just mean the big plugs capable of high current are harder
to remove?

Sort of related: I've found that no one sells the female end of
extension cords that have 3 outlets and go on simple lamp wire. Now
everything is heavy-duty, and the only one meant for lampcord has only
one outlet. Are light-weight extension cords a violation of code or
FTC rules or something?

philo January 4th 16 05:48 PM

why high current ac plugs harder to remove?

On 01/04/2016 11:41 AM, KenK wrote:
Micky wrote in
:

On 4 Jan 2016 14:01:59 GMT, KenK wrote:

Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC
plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of
its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone
know why?

TIA

Do you mean the plug was easier to remove before the current went
through it?

Yes

The higher current may have heated the contacts a bit and expanded them?

[email protected] January 5th 16 02:45 AM

why high current ac plugs harder to remove?

On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 8:02:04 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:
Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC
plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of
its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone
know why?

TIA

The heavier duty plugs have a u-shaped ground prong that is harder to pull out than plugs with round ground prongs.

[email protected] January 5th 16 03:20 AM

why high current ac plugs harder to remove?

On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 8:02:04 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:
Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC
plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of
its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone
know why?

TIA

Heavier-duty outlets tend to be manufactured with thicker copper that is "stiffer" than the thinner copper used in Walmart type outlets.

[email protected] January 5th 16 03:59 AM

why high current ac plugs harder to remove?

On 4 Jan 2016 14:01:59 GMT, KenK wrote:

Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC
plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of
its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone
know why?

TIA

If you run too much power thru an outlet and cord, you can actually WELD
the cord's prongs to the outlet contacts. Then you may never remove it.
I've seen this happen several times. The only solution is to replace
both the outlet and the cord (or the plug on the cord).

[email protected] January 5th 16 04:13 AM

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 19:20:38 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 8:02:04 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:
Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC
plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of
its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone
know why?

TIA

Heavier-duty outlets tend to be manufactured with thicker copper that is "stiffer" than the thinner copper used in Walmart type outlets.

Generally brass, actually

[email protected] January 5th 16 04:52 AM

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 23:13:03 -0500, wrote:

Heavier-duty outlets tend to be manufactured with thicker copper that
is "stiffer" than the thinner copper used in Walmart type outlets.

Generally brass, actually

YES. I have never seen copper contacts!
They are always brass.

Tekkie® January 6th 16 09:56 PM

why high current ac plugs harder to remove?

posted for all of us...

On 4 Jan 2016 14:01:59 GMT, KenK wrote:

Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC
plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of
its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone
know why?

TIA

If you run too much power thru an outlet and cord, you can actually WELD
the cord's prongs to the outlet contacts. Then you may never remove it.
I've seen this happen several times. The only solution is to replace
both the outlet and the cord (or the plug on the cord).

What does this tell our esteemed audience?

--
Tekkie