Posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default New California Driving Laws take effect January 1st, 2016

On 1/3/2016 8:31 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per .:
[Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris.

That's pretty good...

Where did it come from ?

Ayn Rand. An imperfect person, as are we all, but in many
ways a sage and seer of our bleak world. She tried for
extreme melodrama but now we're way beyond even her cynical
dystopia.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

rbowman has brought this to us :
On 01/02/2016 12:55 PM, Eagle wrote:

VERB

1.(in music and film) move without interruption from one song, melody,
or scene to another:
"allowing one song to segue into the next"

NOUN

1.an uninterrupted transition from one piece of music or film scene to
another.

Huh? lol

Okay, okay, Segway to you sir! Anyway users of the device commonly referred
to as a hoverboard tend to seque from standing to lying on the ground
moaning. Ignore the clauses in the definition of seque that talk about a
smooth transition. Ain't nothing smooth about it.

OH! SEGWAY! lol
I almost bought one last month and decided I didn't need one.
Posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 07:32:01 -0800
"Eagle" wrote:

rbowman has brought this to us :
On 01/02/2016 12:55 PM, Eagle wrote:

VERB

1.(in music and film) move without interruption from one song,
melody, or scene to another:
"allowing one song to segue into the next"

NOUN

1.an uninterrupted transition from one piece of music or film
scene to another.

Huh? lol

Okay, okay, Segway to you sir! Anyway users of the device commonly
referred to as a hoverboard tend to seque from standing to lying on
the ground moaning. Ignore the clauses in the definition of seque
that talk about a smooth transition. Ain't nothing smooth about it.

OH! SEGWAY! lol
I almost bought one last month and decided I didn't need one.

How in the **** would you get your walker on a Segway???

LOL Put down the pipe!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/03/2016 03:38 AM, Micky wrote:
Most of them. It's so that when I see one with lights, especially a
flashing red light, I'm really impressed.

In town, a bicyclist without lights at night will get stopped by the
cops. The first time they get a warning and a free set of lights. The
next time, a ticket.

There was a recent case where a bicyclist was stopped. Apparently the
bicyclist was a tweaker and thought a methedrine powered bike could
outrun the cops. When finally apprehended there was a little more than a
no-light warning involved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/03/2016 02:05 PM, Microsoft Bob wrote:

Corn is not a good food to eat. However, BigMed and BigPharma sure love
their corn/carbohydrate cash-cow.

Masa harina, the flour used for tortillas, is a slight improvement. The
dent corn is processed with slaked lime, freeing up the niacin, similar
to hominy.

BigAg likes their corn too. You'd have to go back to Earl Butz to see
the turnaround in US agricultural policy that radically increased corn
production in an attempt to keep food cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 4:47:06 AM UTC-6, Micky wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 18:55:29 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 6:30:52 PM UTC-6, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 11:15:34 -0500, burfordTjustice
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 07:19:27 -0800
"Eagle" wrote:

AMuzi laid this down on his screen :
On 1/2/2016 8:42 AM, Mark Bannon wrote:
Just to prove that the state is filled with wackos, starting
January 1st, 2016, California DMV offices will begin issuing
driver's licenses to people in the country *illegally*.

Under AB 60, applicants must prove who they are, that they
live in California and, surprisingly for California, they
must also pass a driving test.

A new law will also provide access to auto insurance.

DMV officials say they expect about 1.4 million *illegal*
cheaters to apply for a driver's license in the first three
years.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...=201520160AB60

The last time I had "access to auto insurance" it was $300 cash or
certified check, in person at their offices, for a 30 day policy..
Wonder what these guys will pay, if anything..

I don't think issuing Cali drivers license to illegals will attract
many illegals. That would mean they would have to get legal and buy
insurance or have their ride confiscated and them jailed for no
insurance. You can't jail the buggers because of being in country
illegally, so off they go....on foot.
Put down the pipe and back away.
You stupid ****ing dope head.
They already drive!

Yes. This is just the liberals making their life easier by giving
ILLEGALS a LEGAL ID. Try this in Mexico and see how far you get as an
American down there illegally....

Being an illegal alien in Mexico is a felony. Mexico puts illegals in prison when they are caught sneaking in from South America on their way to The U.S. I wish The U.S. would adopt the immigration laws of Mexico.¯\_?_?_/¯

I"m glad to hear that. Because your description of their law, if it
was ever true, is not true for the last 5 1/2 years.

"The new law guarantees that foreigners and Mexican nationals will
receive equal treatment under Mexican law and decriminalizes
undocumented immigration, reducing it to an administrative infraction,
punishable with a fine of up to 100 days' worth of minimum wage.[1]
Under this equality principle all immigrants, regardless of status,
nationality, or ethnicity, are granted the right to education and
healthcare and are entitled to due process. Elements aimed at
promoting family unity were also added. Moreover, before the
government takes action (e.g. deportation) with respect to migrant
children and other vulnerable individuals (women, seniors, the
handicapped and victims of crime), their specific needs must be
prioritized and adequate services must be provided....."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illega...tion_to_Mexico

Well crap! That's what I've always read about Mexican immigration law and the felony. Back in the 1980's I spent some time in Mexico and was warned that I must buy Mexican auto insurance if I planed on driving there because having an auto accident in Mexico was a felony. Perhaps Mexico has Liberal politicians who now go easy on criminals? Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Corrected Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/04/2016 03:11 AM, Micky wrote:
They didn't invent heart disease and there's evidence it has nothing
to do with diet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-what-to-eat/

Well then, that settles it.
One can enjoy their McJunkFood as long as they take their blood pressure meds and their cholesterol meds and their insulin shots.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 04:22:53 -0500, Euell Gibbons
wrote:

On 01/04/2016 03:11 AM, Micky wrote:
They didn't invent heart disease and there's evidence it has nothing
to do with diet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-what-to-eat/

Well then, that settles it.
One can enjoy their McJunkFood as long as they take their blood pressure meds and their cholesterol meds and their insulin shots.

As luck woudl have it, I got my first prescription for Lipitor 3 weeks
ago. I tried, but not very hard, to cut down on fat before the blood
test, so I asked the doctor, a board-certified cardiologist/internist:
In the future, how will you know if my low fat level is from my
changing my diet or from the drug, and he said, You can't change your
diet enough to make much difference.

I don't know if that applies to everyone or not, but he's only known
me for 4 years. So maybe you're right!
Posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 01/04/2016 01:05 AM, Micky wrote:
No, you have it wrong. The price was much lower. If ethanol had any
effect, any increase, it was small compared to the lowering effect of
the corn imported from the US.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news...s-food-prices/

http://www.actionaidusa.org/press/us...r-fuels-hunger

http://www.ase.tufts.edu/gdae/policy...ostMexico.html

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philp...s-global-south

http://www.sfgate.com/business/artic...in-2623910.php

Would you like some more links?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 14:42:55 -0000 (UTC), Mark Bannon
wrote:

Just to prove that the state is filled with wackos, starting
January 1st, 2016, California DMV offices will begin issuing
driver's licenses to people in the country *illegally*.

Under AB 60, applicants must prove who they are, that they
live in California and, surprisingly for California, they
must also pass a driving test.

A new law will also provide access to auto insurance.

DMV officials say they expect about 1.4 million *illegal*
cheaters to apply for a driver's license in the first three
years.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...=201520160AB60

Do they go ahead and register to vote then too?

FWIW, the Fed motor-voter law was signed in 1993. Anyone can register, but supposedly non-citizens are rejected by the Reg of Voters.
http://www.justice.gov/crt/about-nat...gistration-act

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Bannon" wrote in message ...
AB 208, Bigelow. Vehicles: highway: lane use.

Existing law (2015) requires, on a 2-lane highway where passing is
unsafe due to specified reasons, *a slow-moving vehicle* behind
which 5 or more vehicles are formed in a line to turn off the roadway
at the nearest place designed as a turnout or wherever sufficient
area of a safe turnout exists in order to permit the vehicles
following it to proceed.

This bill (2016) requires, on a 2-lane highway where passing is
unsafe due to specified reasons, *any vehicle* proceeding upon
the highway at a speed less than the *normal speed of traffic*
moving in the same direction at that time, behind which 5 or more
vehicles are formed in line, to turn off the roadway at the
nearest place designated as a turnout or wherever sufficient area
for a safe turnout exists.

"slow moving" vs "any vehicle at less than normal speed"
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201520160AB208

Makes sense to me. The speed limit on these kind of grades is pretty low already.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Bannon" wrote in message ...
Hoverboard legislation starts January 1st, 2016.

AB 604 defines a hoverboard as an "electrically motorized board"
which means riders must be 16 or older and wear a helmet while riding.

The law also restricts use to specially designated bikeways or highways,
which means hoverboards are no longer legal in public places.

Full text:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201520160AB604

My guess would be some hoverboard marketing person brought this to his legislator to write the bill. Free advertising.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Bannon" wrote in message ...
Another new crime!

It's already illegal for car drivers, but if you're on a bicycle,
it's now illegal to use a headset, earplugs or earbuds in both
ears while operating your bicycle.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201520160SB491
It's in there - buried deep down within the wholly unrelated crap.

(11) Existing law prohibits a person operating a motor vehicle or a
bicycle from wearing a headset covering both ears, or from wearing earplugs
in both ears, subject to certain exceptions.

This bill would also prohibit wearing earphones covering, resting on,
or inserted in, both ears. Because a violation of these provisions would
be a crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.

I'd vote for that one. Similar law passed for drivers. It's dangerous for anyone in traffic to have both ears blocked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Bannon" wrote in message ...
Just to prove that the state is filled with wackos, starting
January 1st, 2016, California DMV offices will begin issuing
driver's licenses to people in the country *illegally*.

Under AB 60, applicants must prove who they are, that they
live in California and, surprisingly for California, they
must also pass a driving test.

A new law will also provide access to auto insurance.

DMV officials say they expect about 1.4 million *illegal*
cheaters to apply for a driver's license in the first three
years.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...=201520160AB60

A driving test has always been required for first time applicants. Proof of residency & auto insurance has also been mandatory for many years. I thought that first time applicants had to show a birth certificate or passport, but I could be wrong about that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

is it legal to eat Mexican tortillas,
while navigating your Hoverboad,
in the far right [freeway] lane,
after having taken Lipitor?

just asking

marc

Posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 1/2/2016 6:52 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/2/2016 8:42 AM, Mark Bannon wrote:
Just to prove that the state is filled with wackos, starting
January 1st, 2016, California DMV offices will begin issuing
driver's licenses to people in the country *illegally*.

Under AB 60, applicants must prove who they are, that they
live in California and, surprisingly for California, they
must also pass a driving test.

A new law will also provide access to auto insurance.

DMV officials say they expect about 1.4 million *illegal*
cheaters to apply for a driver's license in the first three
years.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...=201520160AB60

The last time I had "access to auto insurance" it was $300 cash or
certified check, in person at their offices, for a 30 day policy.
Wonder what these guys will pay, if anything..

The alternative to not issuing drivers licenses is to have them drive
without licenses, or insurance.

State governments don't have the power to deport anyone. The federal
government doesn't want to act for several reasons. First, illegals pay
far more more in federal taxes than they receive in federal benefits.
Second, the companies that employ illegals in large numbers, corporate
agriculture, meat packing, hotel chains, etc. would be in big trouble if
the supply of low-cost exploitable labor dried up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Just to prove that the state is filled with wackos, starting
January 1st, 2016, California DMV offices will begin issuing
driver's licenses to people in the country *illegally*.

Under AB 60, applicants must prove who they are, that they
live in California and, surprisingly for California, they
must also pass a driving test.

A new law will also provide access to auto insurance.

DMV officials say they expect about 1.4 million *illegal*
cheaters to apply for a driver's license in the first three
years.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...=201520160AB60

Do they go ahead and register to vote then too?

FWIW, the Fed motor-voter law was signed in 1993. Anyone can register, but supposedly non-citizens are rejected by the Reg of Voters.
http://www.justice.gov/crt/about-nat...gistration-act

It is not working. Our TV station had no problem finding plenty of
aliens who were registered to vote. Nobody in the government seems to
think that is a big enough problem to follow up on it..

It is the classic problem with investigating voter fraud. The losers
have little power to actually do much investigating because they are
shut out of the government and the winner has no interest in
questioning the validity of their victory.
Posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Scott Dorsey:
What else are you going do to? Put them in jail? Believe me, living
in an American jail probably beats living in Tegucigalpa these days.
Until it's actually safe to live in Central America and people are able
to make a living doing honest work there, we're going to continue to have
a problem.

I keep hearing that the net Mexico-USA migration is towards Mexico now.

First of all, anybody who gives you actual numbers is basing them on
insufficient information. The guys on the right point to the guys on the
left as having made-up numbers. The guys on the left point to the guys on
the right as having made-up numbers. They are both right. Undocumented
immigrants are just that, undocumented, and all of the numbers you see are
based on basic statistics.

Secondly, in addition to the normal flow of illegal immigrants and the recent
new flow of refugees, we also have a lot of seasonal workers that come across
the border to work the harvest and then go back to Mexico before the winter.
These people aren't immigrants, and the number and direction depends on what
time of year you try to measure it. So if you look in the late fall you will
always see "migration towards Mexico" even though the people moving are not
doing so for immigration purposes.

But... if you go down to the southern border of Mexico, you can see a huge
number of people trying to get into Mexico from Honduras and Guatemala,
Nicaragua and El Salvador, because the situations there are even worse than
they are in Mexico. Many of those people are on their way into the US, but
some of them stay in Mexico.

If that's correct, are the numbers over-ridden by immigration from
Central America ?

There is a whole lot of that going on right now, and it's something you never
saw a decade ago. Until there is some degree of stability in central america
and people are able to live their lives with some degree of security rather
than live under the thumb of drug lords, this is going to get worse rather
than better.
--scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

+100 gov't inaction

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 09:24:54 -0800, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

[...]

What should be done about deaf people?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Ashton Crusher:

What should be done about deaf people?

I remember reading an interview about a deaf person who had died.

The interviewer's question: "How did he die?".

The interviewee's answer: "The same way most deaf people die: hit by a
car.".
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Good question. Also, if a funeral is at night, do you drive with your lights off?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 4:31 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message ...
I'd vote for that one. Similar law passed for drivers. It's dangerous for anyone in traffic to have both ears blocked.

What should be done about deaf people?

Good question. Also, if a funeral is at night, do you drive with your lights off?

Perhaps if the driver, or the deceased is blind?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't think I"ve ever been to a funeral at night. Is there such a
thing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eagle" wrote:

[...]

[8~{} Uncle Alien Monster

The reality is not quite what that paints.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/sho...n-the-us-does/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eagle" wrote:

[...]

I'll bet Mexico's immigration control authorities do it with less money than what's spent by one ineffectual regional U.S. Border Control division. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Immigrant Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 9:44 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 8:05:57 PM UTC-6, Ashton Crusher wrote:

The reality is not quite what that paints.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/sho...n-the-us-does/

I'll bet Mexico's immigration control authorities do it with less money than what's spent by one ineffectual regional U.S. Border Control division. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Immigrant Monster

I noted that border crossing into Mexico is
a felony. The do take it seriously, yes?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

No silly, one either flashes their lights on & off rapidly or uses candles
on the fender or sets the little funeral flags on fire.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't know, but if there was one, it would be easy to miss with their lights off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
On 1/6/2016 9:44 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 8:05:57 PM UTC-6, Ashton Crusher wrote:

The reality is not quite what that paints.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/sho...n-the-us-does/

I'll bet Mexico's immigration control authorities do it with less money than what's spent by one ineffectual regional U.S. Border Control division. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Immigrant Monster

I noted that border crossing into Mexico is
a felony. The do take it seriously, yes?

I think it depends on whether a particular Mexican border guard needs some spending money or not.

On an unrelated subject.... The braking news station says Mexico is willing to extradite drug kingpig El Guano to the US. So first, he'll have to take a driving test so he can get a US drivers license.