Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulate Walls or Floors?

I live in an elevated rancher built in 1978. I just removed carpeting
and linoleum from my breakfast room, kitchen, dining room, and living
room, all of which are open to each other. I had 3/4" red oak planking
installed over the existing plywood subfloor.

Winter season has come, and it has been unseasonalbly cold, and I really
notice it in the rooms mentioned above. I don't know if it's because the
wood transfers hot/cold more than what was on the floors, or because of
the really cold weather. I'm in the S.F. Bay area, where winters are
normally mild (40 - 50), and my furnace usually heats the house fine, but
now it takes an hour or so to heat the house (20 year old gas heater,
forced air, below in the garage). When I wake in the morning, the house
is 56 - 60, and overnight temps were mid-30's to low 40's.

I'm considering insulating the crawlspace under the house, under the new
wood flooring. I have good access to all areas under the new wood
flooring, and to all exterior walls. I can walk under the entire area.
The floor joists are 2 x 10 (1 3/4 x 9), and the wall studs are 2 x 4 (1
3/4 x 3 1/2). I've been reading a lot about insulating crawlspaces, and
some say just need to insulate between all the joists, and others say
best to insultate just betwee the studs. Of course, doing just the studs
would be much easier, since it's doesn't have to be 'hung', and less
expensive, since the insulation wouldn't have to be as thick.

Any suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Boris" wrote in message
09.88...
[...]

YOu did not mention the insulation over head. If it is less than about 8
to 10 inches, start there. Then to the walls and last the floors.. Do be
sure that the vents under the house are closed so the air does not just flow
under it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

"Boris" wrote in message
09.88...
[...]

Over head? I think you mean what's in the attic...that blown in pink
stuff, lots of it. So much so that you have to clear it away to find the
ceiling joists.

I've closed up all the vents already.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Boris" wrote in message
09.88...
"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

Over head? I think you mean what's in the attic...that blown in pink
stuff, lots of it. So much so that you have to clear it away to find the
ceiling joists.

I've closed up all the vents already.

Yes, the attic. Not sure how large the joists are, but you need around 8 to
10 inches, more if in a cold area of the country. It is recommended from
one to two feet in the attic of cold weather areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Boris wrote:
"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

"Boris" wrote in message
09.88...
[...]

I'd use rigid high density styrofoam panels between joists under floor.
You can use adhesive. Walls as well or batts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 5:40:01 PM UTC-5, Boris wrote:
[...]

Access to exterior walls, usually that isn't the problem. The problem
is the insulation would need to go in the walls and that doesn't have
good access. Considering it was built in 78, the wall cavity should
already have insulation, no?

I can walk under the entire area.
The floor joists are 2 x 10 (1 3/4 x 9), and the wall studs are 2 x 4 (1
3/4 x 3 1/2). I've been reading a lot about insulating crawlspaces, and
some say just need to insulate between all the joists, and others say
best to insultate just betwee the studs. Of course, doing just the studs
would be much easier, since it's doesn't have to be 'hung', and less
expensive, since the insulation wouldn't have to be as thick.

Any suggestions?

Assuming the studs you're talking about are the exterior wall studs,
how are you going to get easy access to put that insulation in?
Usually putting insulation between the joists in a crawlspace is
trivial compared to getting insulation into wall cavities. No
insulation in those exterior walls already?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery explained :
"Boris" wrote in message
09.88...
[...]

What if you don't have vents under the house, just a concrete slab?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang explained on 12/28/2015 :
Boris wrote:
"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

"Boris" wrote in message
09.88...
[...]

We need insulated concrete here in Cali. It got down to 29 last night,
and is supposed to get down to 20 tonight.
My poor palm trees are going to freeze again!
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote in
:

[...]

Yes, the exterior of all living space is insulated. I'm talking about
exterior walls of the crawlspace. It is defined as a crawlspace, but
it's really tall. As a matter of fact, there's a standard size door that
connects it to the garage, both of which are below the first floor. From
the garage, I walk into the 'crawlspace'. It's a hoarder's paradise
under there. (Me no hoarder.) Anyway, the foundation sill has the
standard 2 x 4 on top of it, and on top of that are the 2 x 4 exterior
wall studs, unfinished (no sheetrock). The exterior is stucco. In some
places, these walls are 4' tall, and in others they are 8' tall. The
house is built on a slope. From the sidewalk view, the left side is
higher, and the land slopes down to the right. The right hand walls are
the taller ones.

I can walk under the entire area.
The floor joists are 2 x 10 (1 3/4 x 9), and the wall studs are 2 x 4
(1 3/4 x 3 1/2). I've been reading a lot about insulating
crawlspaces, and some say just need to insulate between all the
joists, and others say best to insultate just betwee the studs. Of
course, doing just the studs would be much easier, since it's doesn't
have to be 'hung', and less expensive, since the insulation wouldn't
have to be as thick.

Any suggestions?

Assuming the studs you're talking about are the exterior wall studs,

No, these are the unfinished (no sheetrock) exterior walls in the
crawlspace
how are you going to get easy access to put that insulation in?
Usually putting insulation between the joists in a crawlspace is
trivial compared to getting insulation into wall cavities. No
insulation in those exterior walls already?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in
:

Boris wrote:
"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

"Boris" wrote in message
09.88...
[...]

Been looking at those, but the highest R factor I find is 5.89, and 2"
thick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eagle" wrote in
:

Tony Hwang explained on 12/28/2015 :
Boris wrote:
"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

"Boris" wrote in message
09.88...
[...]

Are you built on a concrete slab?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eagle" wrote in
:

Ralph Mowery explained :
"Boris" wrote in message
09.88...
[...]

Vents are to move air to control moisture in dirt crawlspaces. The
moisture comes from the ground. You shouldn't have any moisture issues.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2015 5:37 PM, Boris wrote:

I'm considering insulating the crawlspace under the house, under the new
wood flooring. I have good access to all areas under the new wood
flooring, and to all exterior walls. I can walk under the entire area.
The floor joists are 2 x 10 (1 3/4 x 9), and the wall studs are 2 x 4 (1
3/4 x 3 1/2). I've been reading a lot about insulating crawlspaces, and
some say just need to insulate between all the joists, and others say
best to insultate just betwee the studs. Of course, doing just the studs
would be much easier, since it's doesn't have to be 'hung', and less
expensive, since the insulation wouldn't have to be as thick.

Any suggestions?

You want to insulate both walls and floor. I'd use foam board with
adhesive to hold it on the floor above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heat's first propensity is to rise. Take care
of that first. The United States of America
remains in 2015 the most under and uninsulated
country on earth - residentially.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Boris wrote:
trader_4 wrote

Assuming the studs you're talking about are the exterior wall studs,

No, these are the unfinished (no sheetrock) exterior walls in the
crawlspace
how are you going to get easy access to put that insulation in?
Usually putting insulation between the joists in a crawlspace is
trivial compared to getting insulation into wall cavities. No
insulation in those exterior walls already?

Are there any water pipes in the crawl space ? If t'were me I'd insulate
the walls with batts between studs then add a 1" layer of foam on top of
that . I'd also lay down some poly sheet on the ground to help with moisture
control . They make automatic crawl space vents that open when it gets hot ,
you might want to put some in while you're down there .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2015 4:42 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Be clear about what you're trying to accomplish.
You made no mention of heating cost.
If your problem is that the floor is too cold and/or you'd like
reduced heating cost, insulate under it.
If you plan to inhabit the space, put something over it to contain
the insulation dust.
Look up the historical dewpoint.
You wanna make sure that you don't condense moisture on the underside
of the floor in summer. Vapor barrier may be required.

Now, you've just made the crawlspace colder. If there's anything in
there that's sensitive to cold, like plumbing, you may need to address
that with insulation or pipe tape or ????
Insulating the walls will help. I've lost track of the crawlspace
floor, but you also may need insulation and vapor barrier there too.
Depends on the ground temperature.

I'm in Oregon. If I close the air vents, the temperature under
my house is 55F or thereabouts year round.
My attic and crawlspace were insulated at the same time, so I don't
have any individual measurements of the effect on heating costs.
When I changed from carpet to fake wood floors, they felt colder,
but I'm not sure it made any actual difference in the heat lost/gained.
I fixed that problem with area rugs everywhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote: "On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 17:09:09 -0800 (PST),
Wrong. Hot air rises. Heat energy travels to attempt equilibrium no
matter the direction. If the floor is not insulated properly the heat
will travel to it. "

Ohh STOP NITPICKING. You know
you online ****s love to oppose me
on damn near everything I post here!

It's getting tiring. The original poster
gets the basic point. That's all that
matters, C-3PO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 22:37:21 -0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote in
8

Any suggestions?

The more insulation the better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 8:09:18 AM UTC-5, CRNG wrote:
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 22:37:21 -0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote in
8

Any suggestions?

The more insulation the better.
--

But there are diminishing returns and he's in SF, which has a
moderate climate. Between unfinished basements and the living

Someone else pointed out that some more info on what the real
objective is would be helpful. He said that after replacing
carpet with wood flooring, it takes a lot longer to heat the
house. I don't think that makes much sense. I can see carpet
feeling warmer, but from a heat transfer perspective, I doubt
carpet vs wood is going to make much difference. Also, he says
he has a 20 year old furnace. If heating bills are an issue,
replacing that might make more difference in how much energy
it takes to heat the house than insulating the crawlspace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd get one of those inexpensive hand held infrared thermometers and
start checking for cold spots to plug up. The problem may not be where
you expect it to be.

Steve
73 de N2UBP

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2015 8:09 AM, CRNG wrote:
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 22:37:21 -0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote in
8

Any suggestions?

The more insulation the better.

I've got R-273 in my walls. Sadly, there is only
a six inch walkway through the center of my
trailer.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

After serious thinking Boris wrote :
"Eagle" wrote in
:

Tony Hwang explained on 12/28/2015 :
Boris wrote:
"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

"Boris" wrote in message
09.88...
[...]

No, but My house is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Boris presented the following explanation :
"Eagle" wrote in
:

Ralph Mowery explained :
"Boris" wrote in message
09.88...
[...]

I don't because the slab is insulated from the ground by a plastic
sheet. That doesn't stop the cold though, and that is why I think
concrete should be made with insulating properties.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2015 9:54 AM, Eagle wrote:
After serious thinking Boris wrote :
"Eagle" wrote in
My poor palm trees are going to freeze again!

Are you built on a concrete slab?

No, but My house is.

I've talked to carpet cleaning people
who are truck mounted. That's got to
hurt.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon: "I've got R-273 in my walls. Sadly, there is only
a six inch walkway through the center of my trailer"

Americans... Infathomable creatures.

Refuse to use the brains the Lord they
worship so dearly, gave them. When
Jesus said lay your worries at my feet,
he didn't mean "live in a drafty barn of
a house with the heat cranked up to 90"!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon pretended :
On 12/29/2015 9:54 AM, Eagle wrote:
After serious thinking Boris wrote :
"Eagle" wrote in
My poor palm trees are going to freeze again!

Are you built on a concrete slab?

No, but My house is.

I've talked to carpet cleaning people
who are truck mounted. That's got to
hurt.

They MOUNTED, or ARE mounted?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 08:25:23 -0800
"Eagle" wrote:

Stormin Mormon pretended :
On 12/29/2015 9:54 AM, Eagle wrote:
After serious thinking Boris wrote :
"Eagle" wrote in
My poor palm trees are going to freeze again!

Are you built on a concrete slab?

No, but My house is.

I've talked to carpet cleaning people
who are truck mounted. That's got to
hurt.

They MOUNTED, or ARE mounted?

You are the one with jail time history, you tell us the answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2015 11:25 AM, Eagle wrote:
Stormin Mormon pretended :
On 12/29/2015 9:54 AM, Eagle wrote:
After serious thinking Boris wrote :
"Eagle" wrote in
My poor palm trees are going to freeze again!

Are you built on a concrete slab?

No, but My house is.

I've talked to carpet cleaning people
who are truck mounted. That's got to
hurt.

They MOUNTED, or ARE mounted?

I'm never sure. As you know, most Americans
are simple insane. Maybe both?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Boris posted for all of us...

I've closed up all the vents already.

What vents? They may be very necessary.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 09:06:31 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/29/2015 8:09 AM, CRNG wrote:
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 22:37:21 -0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote in
8

Any suggestions?

The more insulation the better.

I've got R-273 in my walls. Sadly, there is only
a six inch walkway through the center of my
trailer.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Time to start throwing out hose old newspapers you've been "using for
insulation". It's called "hording"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 06:57:06 -0800, "Eagle"
wrote:

Boris presented the following explanation :
"Eagle" wrote in
:

Ralph Mowery explained :
"Boris" wrote in message
09.88...
[...]

Common practice up here in "the great white north" is 4 inches of
styrofoam over the gravel and under the slab.. THAY is an insulated
slab - and it is "warm"