Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Insulate Walls or Floors?

Boris wrote:
"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

"Boris" wrote in message
09.88...
I live in an elevated rancher built in 1978. I just removed carpeting
and linoleum from my breakfast room, kitchen, dining room, and living
room, all of which are open to each other. I had 3/4" red oak
planking installed over the existing plywood subfloor.

Winter season has come, and it has been unseasonalbly cold, and I
really notice it in the rooms mentioned above. I don't know if it's
because the wood transfers hot/cold more than what was on the floors,
or because of the really cold weather. I'm in the S.F. Bay area,
where winters are normally mild (40 - 50), and my furnace usually
heats the house fine, but now it takes an hour or so to heat the
house (20 year old gas heater, forced air, below in the garage).
When I wake in the morning, the house is 56 - 60, and overnight temps
were mid-30's to low 40's.

I'm considering insulating the crawlspace under the house, under the
new wood flooring. I have good access to all areas under the new
wood flooring, and to all exterior walls. I can walk under the
entire area. The floor joists are 2 x 10 (1 3/4 x 9), and the wall
studs are 2 x 4 (1 3/4 x 3 1/2). I've been reading a lot about
insulating crawlspaces, and some say just need to insulate between
all the joists, and others say best to insultate just betwee the
studs. Of course, doing just the studs would be much easier, since
it's doesn't have to be 'hung', and less expensive, since the
insulation wouldn't have to be as thick.

Any suggestions?

YOu did not mention the insulation over head. If it is less than
about 8 to 10 inches, start there. Then to the walls and last the
floors.. Do be sure that the vents under the house are closed so the
air does not just flow under it.

Over head? I think you mean what's in the attic...that blown in pink
stuff, lots of it. So much so that you have to clear it away to find the
ceiling joists.

I've closed up all the vents already.

I'd use rigid high density styrofoam panels between joists under floor.
You can use adhesive. Walls as well or batts.