Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flushing Out a Heater Core

On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 4:12:25 PM UTC-5, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
wrote in message ...
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 11:57:04 -0800, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message ...
Back to the 97 Aerostar again.... It appears that the heater core is nearly plugged. Some heat gets through, but not much.

Heater valve & vacuum work fine. A friend said to pull the valve off and connect a garden hose to the outlet and hit it with some short blasts of from the garden hose. Then connect to the inlet and repeat until it flows free and clean.

But, and this is a big butt, I have done these kind of things before and been sorry later. So I thought I'd ask the online brain center for some (good) advice first. The last thing I want to do is open a leak in the core and hose down the front seat.

---

I finally got some time to spend on this...

First I check the open/close valve that controls coolant flow valve to heater again and it is working properly. Once the engine was hot and valve open, both hoses between valve and heater core were hot.

Inside, the blower speed control is fine. Diverter control sends air to windshield and panel vents OK, but no air flows to floor. Also, with temp control set to hot, air to both windshield and panel vents is cold.

I found this vacuum control PDF for a 98 Windstar and will start again next time. I was planning to dig into this today, but rain's a coming and I have to climb up the pole here at the old Haney place and replace a few shingles that sailed off last week.

This link forwards to vacuum pages of a Windstar manual....
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/atta...acuum-pdf.122/

If that link doesn't work, search for 98 Windstar HVAC Vacuum.pdf

Why the heck are you using a Windstar manual to diagnosw an
Aerostar???
TOTALLY different animals.
Get the right manual, or get someone who knows what the heck is going
on to fix it!!!!!

Thanks!!!! I found the info for 97 Aerostar/Ranger!!!!

http://visualbits.net/Car%20Stuff/Fo...,%20Ranger.pdf
!!!!

I don't know if it is the same but the Ford Taurus had a bypass hose that was in parallel with the heater core and if the core became even slightly restricted, most of the water would flow throug the bypass hose. Flushing the core hepled for a while as well as a pair of vice grips to restrict the flow of the bypass hose. I don't know whay the design had the bypass hose.. It seemed to be an issue. Other cars don't have it. Look at the engine side of the firewall and see if there is any water connection betwen the input and output of the heater core.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It's the same on this Aerostar. It might be to relieve pressure on the outlet side of the water pump until the thermostat opens, or to avoid pressuring the heater core too much (?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's the same on this Aerostar. It might be to relieve pressure on the outlet side of the water pump until the thermostat opens, or to avoid pressuring the heater core too much (?)

No the bypass hose is directly across the in to out of the heater core.