Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I like projects and I like wood.

It's a thought. I like projects and I like wood. I'm not artistic
enough to make furniture with curves and furniture with only straight
lines can be unappealing. And I have enough furniture, and no
children that I can make feel guilty if they don't want to inherit and
keep the home-crafted furniture I made, so it would just go to
strangers.

In addition, they charge a fortune for commercially-made coffins. So
it's something I could use. And I could use it for storage until I
really need it. But before I thought too much about this, I realized
I still had no room for it, not even in the basement, and it would be
too big for convenient storage of my junk, until I die.

But some of you guys might enjoy a fancy wordworking project.

Fancy Coffins to Make Yourself (Schiffer Book for Woodworkers)
Paperback
http://www.amazon.com/Fancy-Coffins-.../dp/0764312499

Do It Yourself Coffins for Pets and People: A Schiffer Book for
Woodworkers Who Want to Be Buried in Their Work Paperback
http://www.amazon.com/Yourself-Coffi...HSE2DF G78HZ5
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Micky" wrote in message

In addition, they charge a fortune for commercially-made coffins. So
it's something I could use. And I could use it for storage until I
really need it. But before I thought too much about this, I realized
I still had no room for it, not even in the basement, and it would be
too big for convenient storage of my junk, until I die.

I did see a few years back that some were using them as a coffee table in
the living room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 18:53:02 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Micky" wrote in message
.. .

In addition, they charge a fortune for commercially-made coffins. So
it's something I could use. And I could use it for storage until I
really need it. But before I thought too much about this, I realized
I still had no room for it, not even in the basement, and it would be
too big for convenient storage of my junk, until I die.

I did see a few years back that some were using them as a coffee table in
the living room.

You can buy a coffin and/or Urn at Costco. Don't let funeral homes
sell you a marked up item. Me? Cremate me in a cardboard box and
scatter my ashes off the Sanibel Lighthouse on high tide.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2015 04:38 PM, Micky wrote:
Fancy Coffins to Make Yourself (Schiffer Book for Woodworkers)
Paperback
http://www.amazon.com/Fancy-Coffins-.../dp/0764312499

I think that Amazon's grouping of 'Frequently Bought Together' includes
'Images You Should Not Masturbate To', and that book gets a lot better
reviews says it all.

It also reminded me of Faulkner's 'As I Lay Dying' when Addie sits at
the window and watches her son build her coffin out in the yard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 18:38:24 -0500, Micky
wrote:

[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

I like.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2015 05:28 PM, Oren wrote:
You can buy a coffin and/or Urn at Costco. Don't let funeral homes
sell you a marked up item. Me? Cremate me in a cardboard box and
scatter my ashes off the Sanibel Lighthouse on high tide.

That was my brother's wishes and the original game plan. Then one of his
sons brought up the environmental impact of dumping ashes off the beach
without the necessary permits and so forth. Plan 2 involved hiring a
boat to go out to sea a ways. I don't recall the details but that fell
through perhaps because assembling all the family members was a
logistical problem. Plan 3 was similar, but involved an airplane. The
pilot who was rumored to be okay with dumping ashes proved to be harder
to find than Waldo.

It's not really my business and I have no intention of asking my sister
in law when I call over the holidays but afaik he's still parked on the
shelf.

Moral: cultivate at least one family member who can get things done and
isn't some sort of environmentalist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 19:52:07 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

[...]

Mom, sisters and me put our brother's ashes in the Gulf of Mexico. We
took a gambling boat out of Ft Myers (his desires) after 9/11. The
ship mate at the entrance ask my sister "what is in the bag", "my
brother", she said. Twelve miles out we spread his ashes.

There are federal laws about burial at sea. What mom wants and what I
want will not conform. She will be at the end of the beach and I'll
be around the corner, near the lighthouse on Sanibel Island.

IIUC, sea burials inside the 12 mile limit require a "permit". I'll be
an outlaw
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Micky" wrote in message

In addition, they charge a fortune for commercially-made coffins. So
it's something I could use. And I could use it for storage until I
really need it. But before I thought too much about this, I realized
I still had no room for it, not even in the basement, and it would be
too big for convenient storage of my junk, until I die.

I did see a few years back that some were using them as a coffee table in
the living room.

You can buy a coffin and/or Urn at Costco. Don't let funeral homes
sell you a marked up item. Me? Cremate me in a cardboard box and
scatter my ashes off the Sanibel Lighthouse on high tide.

My FIL was cremated and had a ceremony in Hawaii where they were allowed
to spread his ashes over the sunken Arizona that was downed when Pearl
Harbor was attacked. He was a crew member of the Arizona, but wasn't on
it the day it was attacked. He'd been discharged a few weeks prior to
the attack, but was still there working in the shipyard when the attack
happened. He was amongst the men who used blow torches to try and save
men who'd been trapped in sinking ships.

My husband said they close the memorial around 5pm and then allow
prearranged ceremonies like that for former crew members of the Arizona.
When they dumped his ashes into the water a black tear rose up from the
ship. They said it was a very touching moment.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I hear someone explaining to the authorities ... "Honest officer! I
tripped and the thing flew out of my hands while I was talking to my
brother! I'm SOOOO upset! What am I going to tell the rest of the
family, now??"

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 6:28:39 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 18:53:02 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Micky" wrote in message
.. .

In addition, they charge a fortune for commercially-made coffins. So
it's something I could use. And I could use it for storage until I
really need it. But before I thought too much about this, I realized
I still had no room for it, not even in the basement, and it would be
too big for convenient storage of my junk, until I die.

I did see a few years back that some were using them as a coffee table in
the living room.

You can buy a coffin and/or Urn at Costco. Don't let funeral homes
sell you a marked up item. Me? Cremate me in a cardboard box and
scatter my ashes off the Sanibel Lighthouse on high tide.

I'm thinking of donating my body to a medical school. I could still teach young people after I die. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Corpse Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles submitted this idea :
wrote:

"Micky" wrote in message

[...]

I worked with a feller who's father died on the Arizona December 7,
1941. His name was Harold Soens, and His Son was also Harold Soens Jr.
His name is on page 40 of the casualty list.
http://ussarizona.org/index.php/feat...harold-mathias
Posted to alt.home.repair

I got some "wood" for you right here in my trousers.
LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote in message

I got some "wood" for you right here in my trousers.
LOL

You crazy-assed crackers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 22:42:54 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

My FIL was cremated and had a ceremony in Hawaii where they were allowed
to spread his ashes over the sunken Arizona that was downed when Pearl
Harbor was attacked. He was a crew member of the Arizona, but wasn't on
it the day it was attacked. He'd been discharged a few weeks prior to
the attack, but was still there working in the shipyard when the attack
happened. He was amongst the men who used blow torches to try and save
men who'd been trapped in sinking ships.

My husband said they close the memorial around 5pm and then allow
prearranged ceremonies like that for former crew members of the Arizona.
When they dumped his ashes into the water a black tear rose up from the
ship. They said it was a very touching moment.

Oil has been leaking form the Arizona since it sank -- 74 years. If
you ever get the chance, visit the Arizona memorial and the USS
Missouri (BB-63) Battleship (allows tours). The deck has a medallion
exactly where the Japanese surrendered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b4mVfTZ-XI
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 04:31:55 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

I'm thinking of donating my body to a medical school. I could still teach young people after I die. ?(•?•)?

[8~{} Uncle Corpse Monster

That should have quite a bit of entertainment value :-\

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 22:55:50 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

There are federal laws about burial at sea. What mom wants and what I
want will not conform. She will be at the end of the beach and I'll
be around the corner, near the lighthouse on Sanibel Island.

IIUC, sea burials inside the 12 mile limit require a "permit". I'll be
an outlaw

I hear someone explaining to the authorities ... "Honest officer! I
tripped and the thing flew out of my hands while I was talking to my
brother! I'm SOOOO upset! What am I going to tell the rest of the
family, now??"

"Res gestae"

Essentially statements made in a moment of excitation that can be used
against you in court. "Officer, I didn't mean to run over the kid on
the bicycle." Basically, an admission that you did "run over the
kid". Keep your mouth shut

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Res_gestae#Res_gestae_in_American_hearsay_law

.... I stole the Lindbergh baby
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2015 09:43 AM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
I got some "wood" for you right here in my trousers.
LOL

I prefer to work with birch, maple, or walnut, no softwoods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 08:25:02 -0800, "Eagle"
wrote:

[...]

The Arizona memorial will have his name engraved on a marble (?) wall
there. A site to see, if you get to visit there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren used his keyboard to write :
wrote:

[...]

I went to the memorial in 1995. The experience was heart wrenching. It
was something I'll never forget.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 12:39:22 -0800, "Eagle"
wrote:

The Arizona memorial will have his name engraved on a marble (?) wall
there. A site to see, if you get to visit there.

Oren,
I went to the memorial in 1995. The experience was heart wrenching. It
was something I'll never forget.

Yes. The memorial tells us what our parents lived through. Only 9/11
exceeded the similar tragedy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren presented the following explanation :
wrote:

The Arizona memorial will have his name engraved on a marble (?) wall
there. A site to see, if you get to visit there.

Oren,
I went to the memorial in 1995. The experience was heart wrenching. It
was something I'll never forget.

Yes. The memorial tells us what our parents lived through. Only 9/11
exceeded the similar tragedy.

After 9/11 Bush made the speech about this nation going to war against
terrorism, and that there will be fighting in every corner of the
world, some reported, some not. I thought to myself [and I bet most did
the same] how do you fight a war against a religion with over two
billion members? How do you keep sepparate the jihadists and the
peaceful muslimers?
Give Me a 7.62 weapon and don't let Me hear "allah hu akbar" EVER.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

aahhh! I'll remember that! Thanks.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm thinking of donating my body to a medical school. I could still teach young people after I die. ?(€¢?€¢)?

[8~{} Uncle Corpse Monster

That should have quite a bit of entertainment value :-\

Hell, parts of me could wind up in jars of formaldehyde and be around for centuries. \(—¦'Œ£'—¦)/

[8~{} Uncle Specimen Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Micky" wrote in message

[...]

My FIL had survivors guilt for a long time I've been told. I can't
imagine...

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I didn't get to go to the funeral on the Arizona, but when it was
described to me they mentioned the same thing about oil leaking from it
for that long.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm thinking of donating my body to a medical school. I could still teach young people after I die. ?(•?•)?

[8~{} Uncle Corpse Monster

That should have quite a bit of entertainment value :-\

Hell, parts of me could wind up in jars of formaldehyde and be around for centuries. \(?'?'?)/

[8~{} Uncle Specimen Monster

Our local paper just had an article about penis transplants for
wounded veterans. Diagrams and all. You could donate for a good
cause.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2015 03:32 PM, Oren wrote:
Yes. The memorial tells us what our parents lived through. Only 9/11
exceeded the similar tragedy.

Ever see the Moving Wall or the real one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2015 03:54 PM, Eagle wrote:
After 9/11 Bush made the speech about this nation going to war against
terrorism, and that there will be fighting in every corner of the world,
some reported, some not. I thought to myself [and I bet most did the
same] how do you fight a war against a religion with over two billion
members? How do you keep sepparate the jihadists and the peaceful
muslimers?

Britain never exactly won going up against the IRA. The IRA really
didn't have that many active members and Irish Catholics only blow
themselves up by mistake.

To continue the analogy, Bloody Sunday in 1972 was the best recruiting
tool the Provos ever had. It says a lot that it took the Brits until now
to arrest one of the Paras:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-34775466

That whole 'we'll fight them over there so we don't have to fight them
here' was a pipe dream.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm thinking of donating my body to a medical school. I could still teach young people after I die. ?(€¢?€¢)?

[8~{} Uncle Corpse Monster

That should have quite a bit of entertainment value :-\

Hell, parts of me could wind up in jars of formaldehyde and be around for centuries. \(?'?'?)/

[8~{} Uncle Specimen Monster

Our local paper just had an article about penis transplants for
wounded veterans. Diagrams and all. You could donate for a good
cause.

Who'd want a Vienna sausage? Well, it is weiner length when inflated. \(—¦'Œ£'—¦)/

[8~{} Uncle Sausage Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

After serious thinking rbowman wrote :
[...]

Who said that?
The war on the terrorists will go on and change the idea of 'freedom'
irreversably. It's a shame, but that is the price this war will cost
humanity. Islam has been a thorn in the foot ever since the monkey
mooohamerded was born some 1400 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman used his keyboard to write :
On 12/20/2015 03:32 PM, Oren wrote:
Yes. The memorial tells us what our parents lived through. Only 9/11
exceeded the similar tragedy.

Ever see the Moving Wall or the real one?

Yep, the real one. I have several school chums on the wall. :/
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
On 12/20/2015 03:32 PM, Oren wrote:
Yes. The memorial tells us what our parents lived through. Only 9/11
exceeded the similar tragedy.

Ever see the Moving Wall or the real one?

They brought the Moving Wall to Memphis a few years ago . A very emotional
experience . We did a mini-Rolling Thunder ride from the local Harley dealer
.. When we got there the lanes into the cemetery were lined with flags and
people saluting us . A much better reception than the one we got when we got
home ... very few dry eyes among those in the crowd ... and the riders .

--
Snag
Tonkin Gulf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2015 06:00 AM, Eagle wrote:
Who said that?
The war on the terrorists will go on and change the idea of 'freedom'
irreversably. It's a shame, but that is the price this war will cost
humanity. Islam has been a thorn in the foot ever since the monkey
mooohamerded was born some 1400 years ago.

I don't know if Bush II ever uttered the exact phrase and if he did, it
didn't originate with him:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/white...rrorism_05-24/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 19:11:10 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 12/20/2015 03:32 PM, Oren wrote:
Yes. The memorial tells us what our parents lived through. Only 9/11
exceeded the similar tragedy.

Ever see the Moving Wall or the real one?

The real wall at Pearl Harbor.

You could hear a pin drop amongst the visitors.