Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insufficient open cell?

I hired a contractor in insulate my roof deck with open cell foam. My rafters are nominal 10-bys and the contract says 8"-9" subject to variations. The picture below shows what I'm finding so far (they are coming back in two days to finish another part of the house). Is that simply the first of two layers? Or am I in trouble with a potentially dishonest contractor? I hope the former!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3S...ew?usp=sharing

Many thanks in advance!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 15:11:42 -0800 (PST), ST
wrote:

I hired a contractor in insulate my roof deck with open cell foam. My rafters are nominal 10-bys and the contract says 8"-9" subject to variations. The picture below shows what I'm finding so far (they are coming back in two days to finish another part of the house). Is that simply the first of two layers? Or am I in trouble with a potentially dishonest contractor? I hope the former!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3S...ew?usp=sharing

Many thanks in advance!

Sure doesn't look like a consistent thickness to me. Ask him why.
Anything beyond the rafters could be trimmed off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2015 6:11 PM, ST wrote:

I hired a contractor in insulate my roof deck with open cell foam. My rafters are nominal 10-bys and the contract says 8"-9" subject to variations. The picture below shows what I'm finding so far (they are coming back in two days to finish another part of the house). Is that simply the first of two layers? Or am I in trouble with a potentially dishonest contractor? I hope the former!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3S...ew?usp=sharing

Many thanks in advance!

Was this the first job he ever did? Looks like most is in the 8"+ range
but there are some low spots. If the fill them a bit you should be OK
Posted to alt.home.repair

Question:

Will the space under that roof be occupied full-time?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2015 6:11 PM, ST wrote:

I hired a contractor in insulate my roof deck with open cell foam. My rafters are nominal 10-bys and the contract says 8"-9" subject to variations. The picture below shows what I'm finding so far (they are coming back in two days to finish another part of the house). Is that simply the first of two layers? Or am I in trouble with a potentially dishonest contractor? I hope the former!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3S...ew?usp=sharing

Many thanks in advance!

I've seen (on TV) most will over-fill and then when it is cured, use a
saw/knife to cut off the excess to make it even with the room-facing
edge of the joist. I've even done this when filling the area around a
window or door frame, but here you have to be careful. If you
over-over-fill, you might warp the frame causing the door or window not
to close properly.