Posted to alt.home.repair

Default igloo replacement fan - py-1225h12s

I have a tabletop igloo ice maker. It has, what I would describe as, a cheap muffin fan. It has failed. The fan is manufactured Power Year, pn PY-1225H12S. I can't find it anywhere. I have messages out to Igloo and others which are still pending. I suspect Igloo will come back with "send it in" as they have no online listings of internal parts.

Anybody have an idea/vendor that could supply this. I found something in China but it looks like I have to purchase 1000.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 12:01:25 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I have a tabletop igloo ice maker. It has, what I would describe as, a cheap muffin fan. It has failed. The fan is manufactured Power Year, pn PY-1225H12S. I can't find it anywhere. I have messages out to Igloo and others which are still pending. I suspect Igloo will come back with "send it in" as they have no online listings of internal parts.

Anybody have an idea/vendor that could supply this. I found something in China but it looks like I have to purchase 1000.

Thanks.

An electronics supply house or someplace like W. W. Grainger will have a large selection of muffin fans and should have something that will fit. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 2:01:45 PM UTC-6, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 1:46:17 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
On 12/19/2015 11:01 AM, wrote:
I have a tabletop igloo ice maker. It has, what I would describe as, a
cheap muffin fan. It has failed. The fan is manufactured Power Year, pn
PY-1225H12S. I can't find it anywhere.

There are things called search engines that can be invaluable in this
regard:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerYear-PY-1225H12S-DC-Brushless-Fan-12V-120mm-x-120mm-x-25mm-H23-/191591493528

I have messages out to Igloo and
others which are still pending. I suspect Igloo will come back with "send
it in" as they have no online listings of internal parts.

Anybody have an idea/vendor that could supply this. I found something in
China but it looks like I have to purchase 1000.

It looks like a standard, ~5 inch square fan, 1 inch thick, 12V DC.
Aside from the (unspecified) air flow capabilities and sound level
(both depend on the design of the blades and speed of the motor),
you should be able to substitute any similar fan (mounting holes
are largely standardized)

If $8 (incl shipping) is too "dear" for you, visit a surplus
electronics store and find one in a scrap pile...

If he has an old computer that he wants to dispose of, he can pull the fan from the power supply. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster

....a case fan may be 5"...most likely not on the P/S!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2015 11:01 AM, wrote:
[...]

Oh, that's right, perhaps those are only 4" fans on the standard PS but I've seen much smaller ones. I think my desktop has two 5" case fans. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Case Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2015 11:01 AM, wrote:
[...]

You must have the touch. I punched in py-1225h12s and got tennis shoes.
Search engines... check.

Any replacement, generally go by current required, and the airflow will be
similar. Dimensions are pretty standardized.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2015 11:01 AM, wrote:
[...]

That's not true (air flow). Some fans are designed to be quieter by
moving *less* air -- a lower speed/flow rate (in addition to the
aerodynamics of the blades).

One crude way of checking is to note the power requirements of the
fan. The air being moved represents the WORK (power) being done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2015 11:01 AM, wrote:
[...]

That is what I gave. The 12 volts is constant. Times current.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2015 11:01 AM, wrote:
[...]

When I was building and servicing business computers, I insisted on using ball bearing fans even though they cost more. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster