DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   igloo replacement fan - py-1225h12s (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/388215-igloo-replacement-fan-py-1225h12s.html)

[email protected] December 19th 15 06:01 PM

igloo replacement fan - py-1225h12s

I have a tabletop igloo ice maker. It has, what I would describe as, a cheap muffin fan. It has failed. The fan is manufactured Power Year, pn PY-1225H12S. I can't find it anywhere. I have messages out to Igloo and others which are still pending. I suspect Igloo will come back with "send it in" as they have no online listings of internal parts.

Anybody have an idea/vendor that could supply this. I found something in China but it looks like I have to purchase 1000.

Thanks.

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 19th 15 06:09 PM

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 12:01:25 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I have a tabletop igloo ice maker. It has, what I would describe as, a cheap muffin fan. It has failed. The fan is manufactured Power Year, pn PY-1225H12S. I can't find it anywhere. I have messages out to Igloo and others which are still pending. I suspect Igloo will come back with "send it in" as they have no online listings of internal parts.

Anybody have an idea/vendor that could supply this. I found something in China but it looks like I have to purchase 1000.

Thanks.

An electronics supply house or someplace like W. W. Grainger will have a large selection of muffin fans and should have something that will fit. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster

Ed Pawlowski December 19th 15 06:59 PM

On 12/19/2015 1:01 PM, wrote:
I have a tabletop igloo ice maker. It has, what I would describe as, a cheap muffin fan. It has failed.

Why would you need a fan in an igloo? I'd have thought it was cool
enough already, especially in the winter. Of course, an igloo is not a
large structure so I guess it would be good to vent the farts out once
in a while.

bob_villain December 19th 15 07:05 PM

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 12:59:48 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/19/2015 1:01 PM, wrote:
I have a tabletop igloo ice maker. It has, what I would describe as, a cheap muffin fan. It has failed.

Why would you need a fan in an igloo? I'd have thought it was cool
enough already, especially in the winter. Of course, an igloo is not a
large structure so I guess it would be good to vent the farts out once
in a while.

Ed, you're starting to sound like "the Mormon" (or micky)!

Don Y[_3_] December 19th 15 07:46 PM

On 12/19/2015 11:01 AM, wrote:
I have a tabletop igloo ice maker. It has, what I would describe as, a
cheap muffin fan. It has failed. The fan is manufactured Power Year, pn
PY-1225H12S. I can't find it anywhere.

There are things called search engines that can be invaluable in this
regard:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerYear-PY-1225H12S-DC-Brushless-Fan-12V-120mm-x-120mm-x-25mm-H23-/191591493528

I have messages out to Igloo and
others which are still pending. I suspect Igloo will come back with "send
it in" as they have no online listings of internal parts.

Anybody have an idea/vendor that could supply this. I found something in
China but it looks like I have to purchase 1000.

It looks like a standard, ~5 inch square fan, 1 inch thick, 12V DC.
Aside from the (unspecified) air flow capabilities and sound level
(both depend on the design of the blades and speed of the motor),
you should be able to substitute any similar fan (mounting holes
are largely standardized)

If $8 (incl shipping) is too "dear" for you, visit a surplus
electronics store and find one in a scrap pile...

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 19th 15 08:01 PM

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 1:46:17 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
On 12/19/2015 11:01 AM, wrote:
[...]

If he has an old computer that he wants to dispose of, he can pull the fan from the power supply. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster

bob_villain December 19th 15 08:16 PM

On 12/19/2015 11:01 AM, wrote:
[...]

....a case fan may be 5"...most likely not on the P/S!

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 19th 15 10:57 PM

On 12/19/2015 11:01 AM, wrote:
[...]

Oh, that's right, perhaps those are only 4" fans on the standard PS but I've seen much smaller ones. I think my desktop has two 5" case fans. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Case Monster

[email protected] December 20th 15 04:47 AM

On 12/19/2015 11:01 AM, wrote:
[...]

You must have the touch. I punched in py-1225h12s and got tennis shoes. Search engines... check.

gregz December 20th 15 05:59 AM

On 12/19/2015 11:01 AM, wrote:
[...]

Any replacement, generally go by current required, and the airflow will be
similar. Dimensions are pretty standardized.

Greg

Don Y[_3_] December 20th 15 06:09 AM

On 12/19/2015 11:01 AM, wrote:
[...]

That's not true (air flow). Some fans are designed to be quieter by
moving *less* air -- a lower speed/flow rate (in addition to the
aerodynamics of the blades).

One crude way of checking is to note the power requirements of the
fan. The air being moved represents the WORK (power) being done.

gregz December 20th 15 06:31 AM

On 12/19/2015 11:01 AM, wrote:
[...]

That is what I gave. The 12 volts is constant. Times current.

Greg

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 20th 15 12:18 PM

On 12/19/2015 11:01 AM, wrote:
[...]

When I was building and servicing business computers, I insisted on using ball bearing fans even though they cost more. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster