Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New and Improved, or EASY SET... My ass!

I managed to get a mouse in the house. No matter how much I seal all
holes, those damn things eventually get indoors. But this is the first
in almost a year, so I cant complain too much.

So I went and bought a pack of Victor mouse traps. Their so called "Easy
Set" ones. Instead of the metal latch to lock the wire, they now have a
yellow plastic thing with holes in it. I could set the old ones almost
always on the first try. This damn thing took me at least 10 tries, got
my fingers a few times in the process (even though they really dont hurt
too much), but it managed to **** me off trying to set it. I was going
to set at least 3 traps, but once I got one of them to finally latch, I
quit fighting with them, since I had other stuff to do.

EASY SET... My ass!!!!!!!

Anyhow, that one trap caught the little bugger. The funny thing was the
mouse was not IN the trap, it was still alive, but bleeding, and sitting
next to the trap.... I finished it off with a board, and down the toilet
it went.

I suppose later I'll have to try to set at least one trap again, because
there could be another mouse. I'll do this when I'm not busy, so it dont
**** me off again....

EASY SET... My ass!!!!!!!
Why do companies always change stuff that worked fine ???

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paintedcow wrote:
EASY SET... My ass!!!!!!!

Anyhow, that one trap caught the little bugger. The funny thing was the
mouse was not IN the trap, it was still alive, but bleeding, and sitting
next to the trap.... I finished it off with a board, and down the toilet
it went.

I suppose later I'll have to try to set at least one trap again, because
there could be another mouse. I'll do this when I'm not busy, so it dont
**** me off again....

EASY SET... My ass!!!!!!!
Why do companies always change stuff that worked fine ???

yeah! we had a few of those for a short time, they
rapidly broke and went into the recycling or the compost
heap (metal, plastic parts in the recycle, wood in the
compost).

their other ones are not made very well either, but
for a few $ i don't expect much anyways.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

[...]

I have 2 mouse traps with yellow plastic bait holders with holes.
They're at least 20 years old.

They're a little tricky to set, but they get the mouse almost
every time. Sounds like yours just grazed the mouse enough
to kill it.

I killed 4 in a row over a week or so until I found that
one of my screens over a drain wasn't all the way in.
You won't be done with the problem until you find how they're
getting in.

I don't get the part about little things setting you off
though. What's the point of that?

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 23:40:33 -0500, songbird
wrote:

Paintedcow wrote:
EASY SET... My ass!!!!!!!

Anyhow, that one trap caught the little bugger. The funny thing was the
mouse was not IN the trap, it was still alive, but bleeding, and sitting
next to the trap.... I finished it off with a board, and down the toilet
it went.

I suppose later I'll have to try to set at least one trap again, because
there could be another mouse. I'll do this when I'm not busy, so it dont
**** me off again....

EASY SET... My ass!!!!!!!
Why do companies always change stuff that worked fine ???

yeah! we had a few of those for a short time, they
rapidly broke and went into the recycling or the compost
heap (metal, plastic parts in the recycle, wood in the
compost).

their other ones are not made very well either, but
for a few $ i don't expect much anyways.

Like you said, none of them are made real well. But I used to just toss
them anyhow, since I cant stomach touching a mouse. But lately I use a
paper towel and a jam a stick under the spring to release it. But these
are so hard to set compared to the old ones. What I also dont understand
is that the package says, "Pre-baited". What the heck does that mean? I
still have to put peanut butter in the slot....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Go to a website called
http://www.catchmaster.com/

They sell glue pads that when mice run across them they stick to the pad. You can also get them from Amazon and EBay. They work great. I put them in corners and under things where mice like to go. I caught a large field rat in the garage the other day.

--
Usenet Reader for Android
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 00:35:40 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

I have 2 mouse traps with yellow plastic bait holders with holes.
They're at least 20 years old.

I never saw thm till about a year ago.

They're a little tricky to set, but they get the mouse almost
every time. Sounds like yours just grazed the mouse enough
to kill it.

It did get the mouse, but sure was a pain to set. It should take a
minute, not a half hour.

I killed 4 in a row over a week or so until I found that
one of my screens over a drain wasn't all the way in.
You won't be done with the problem until you find how they're
getting in.

Yep, I'll have to check around. It first appeared in the bathroom. I
have a sneaking suspicion there are oversize holes around the pipes
under the bathroom sink. I found that same problem in the kitchen, when
I put a new plywood base under the cabinet, because the particle board
cabinet base was deterioratingt. I may have to just replace the base in
that bathroom cabinet too, since it's too much work to remove the whole
cabinet. In the kitchen they had a 3" hole for a 1-1/2" drain pipe and
2" holes for 1/2" copper pipes. I plugged them with 1/4" hardware cloth,
then pumped a half can of "rodent proof" spray foam in each hole.

I don't get the part about little things setting you off
though. What's the point of that?

Mice may be little, but they completely freak me out. I couldn't even
sleep last night knowing that mouse was in here. I finally screwed a 2x4
onto the floor, by the door, so the mouse could not come under the
bedroom door.
Just a phobia of mine, but I'm aware of it. I'll get between 2 fighting
horse stallions and break up the fight with no fear at all. Just dont
show me a mouse or rat. I've actually been covering all the floor joists
in the crawl space under the house with sheets of galvanized steel to
keep mice out, but that steel is very costly, so I can only do a little
at a time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 00:15:46 -0600, "dangerous dan"
wrote:

They sell glue pads that when mice run across them they stick to the pad. You can
also get them from Amazon and EBay. They work great. I put them in corners and
under things where mice like to go. I caught a large field rat in the garage the other day.

-

They sell them at my local farm supply store. I always wondered if they
were any good. I'll have to buy a few and try them. Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wrote in message:
[...]

Never heard the old saying 'build a better mousetrap and the world
will beat a path to your door'?

Seems that some might take that to mean that it's possible to
improve on the technical and mechanical perfection of the
traditional model.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/15 10:51 PM, wrote:
[...]

Build a better mousetrap, son, and the world will beat a path to your
door...

--
If your wife catches you looking at another woman, turn to her and say
“I’m sure glad you don’t dress like that.”
Posted to alt.home.repair

Like you said, none of them are made real well. But I used to just toss
them anyhow, since I cant stomach touching a mouse. But lately I use a
paper towel and a jam a stick under the spring to release it. But these
are so hard to set compared to the old ones. What I also dont understand
is that the package says, "Pre-baited". What the heck does that mean? I
still have to put peanut butter in the slot....

i dunno, some of the glue traps are made to smell like
peanut butter so perhaps the plastic has peanut butter
smell in it?

one thing i do know for sure is that to really get the
mouse i put a tiny amount of peanut butter on the top
and then put some also on the bottom of the trip lever.
that way when they go for it under the lever they really
have a good chance of setting it off.

i've admired the higher tech plastic traps that are
also said to be easy setting, but as of yet have not
bought any because the ones i have are working fine.
once they fall apart and i have to replace them again
i'll try a few of the new all plastic ones.

i have been using them in the car to get all the mice
out (i think i finally cleared the most recent round of
miscreants) so they are protected from the rains and
the raccoons which like to mess with them at times.

since we've discovered the pail trick we've not had
to use rat traps for the chipmunks. major invasion
this past spring and we had to set the buckets up but
within a few weeks had caught most of them (over 30)
and also some mice will get caught by the buckets. if
the buckets would take care of raccoons and groundhogs
we'd be all set for trapping.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 10:28:14 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

Wow.

When I was about 10 I caught a little mouse wandering around outside.
Cute little sucker, they love to crawl up your sleeve and wander around
under your clothes.

Just reading this gives me the creeps. Even if they show mice on TV, I
have to look away.

My parents were convinced it was a rat.

Maybe it was

They don't bother me at all.
No hesitation in killing them either.
I live in the suburbs so when I kill one I throw the body outside.
There's all kinds of wildlife waiting for a pre-killed meal.

Anyway, a solitary mouse sure won't hurt you, but they
aren't clean so wash if you handle one.

I live in the country, so mice are inevitable. As long as they stay
outdoors, I have little choice but to tolerate them, but when they come
indoors, I can not.

I used to have about 10 outdoor cats, and they seemed to keep the mice
down, but then the coyotes killed the cats, or they'd get run over by
cars, and that would upset me too. So, no more cats. I cant have a cat
in the house because of allergy reasons.