Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Jaguar crusis

Friend with a Jaguar gets a message on the dash, Cruise Control Not
Available.

Wife checks Jaguar forums. Finds suggestion to tape up a crack in the
air intake pipe.

No crack, but lid for window washer fluid not on perfectly. Replaced
lid.

Message disappears and cruise works well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2015 09:44 PM, Micky wrote:
Friend with a Jaguar gets a message on the dash, Cruise Control Not
Available.

Wife checks Jaguar forums. Finds suggestion to tape up a crack in the
air intake pipe.

No crack, but lid for window washer fluid not on perfectly. Replaced
lid.

Message disappears and cruise works well.

Is Lucas still doing electrical stuff for British cars?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2015 11:41 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/30/2015 09:44 PM, Micky wrote:
Friend with a Jaguar gets a message on the dash, Cruise Control Not
Available.

Wife checks Jaguar forums. Finds suggestion to tape up a crack in the
air intake pipe.

No crack, but lid for window washer fluid not on perfectly. Replaced
lid.

Message disappears and cruise works well.

Is Lucas still doing electrical stuff for British cars?

Good old Lucas

I owned a TR-3 for 30 years and under the hood there were two fuses.

One day I was careless in replacing a fuse and stuck a replacement in
the empty space between the fuse holders...it fit there just fine.

Caused no harm but starting the car required no key.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/01/2015 06:04 AM, philo wrote:
Good old Lucas

I owned a TR-3 for 30 years and under the hood there were two fuses.

One day I was careless in replacing a fuse and stuck a replacement in
the empty space between the fuse holders...it fit there just fine.

Caused no harm but starting the car required no key.

Lucas was just anticipating key fobs by a decade or three.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 22:41:55 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 11/30/2015 09:44 PM, Micky wrote:
Friend with a Jaguar gets a message on the dash, Cruise Control Not
Available.

Wife checks Jaguar forums. Finds suggestion to tape up a crack in the
air intake pipe.

No crack, but lid for window washer fluid not on perfectly. Replaced
lid.

Message disappears and cruise works well.

Is Lucas still doing electrical stuff for British cars?

Ahh, The Prince of Darkness.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2015 8:54 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/01/2015 06:04 AM, philo wrote:
Good old Lucas

I owned a TR-3 for 30 years and under the hood there were two fuses.

One day I was careless in replacing a fuse and stuck a replacement in
the empty space between the fuse holders...it fit there just fine.

Caused no harm but starting the car required no key.

Lucas was just anticipating key fobs by a decade or three.

The back of the ignition switch was easily accessible and even a rank
amateur car thief could easily have hot wired the TR-3.

That said, they would be pretty hard to steal because getting one
started at all was not a sure thing...especially if the temp. got the
least bit on the cool side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2015 11:44 PM, Micky wrote:
Friend with a Jaguar gets a message on the dash, Cruise Control Not
Available.

Wife checks Jaguar forums. Finds suggestion to tape up a crack in the
air intake pipe.

No crack, but lid for window washer fluid not on perfectly. Replaced
lid.

Message disappears and cruise works well.

Sounds like a Jag. To drain the radiator, remove the fuse behind the
left taillight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky wrote:
Friend with a Jaguar gets a message on the dash, Cruise Control Not
Available.

Wife checks Jaguar forums. Finds suggestion to tape up a crack in the
air intake pipe.

No crack, but lid for window washer fluid not on perfectly. Replaced
lid.

Message disappears and cruise works well.

A friend had this problem. In her case the connector to the stop
light switch (under the dash) had come loose for whatever reason.

--
Electronic 'Voting' Isn't Real Voting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 12:45:30 -0800, "Jack Myers"
wrote:

Micky wrote:
Friend with a Jaguar gets a message on the dash, Cruise Control Not
Available.

Wife checks Jaguar forums. Finds suggestion to tape up a crack in the
air intake pipe.

No crack, but lid for window washer fluid not on perfectly. Replaced
lid.

Message disappears and cruise works well.

A friend had this problem. In her case the connector to the stop
light switch (under the dash) had come loose for whatever reason.

But that really is related to the Cruise. You need the stop light
switch to disengage it. I'm not sure what the windshield washer lid
does.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:
philo posted for all of us...

night of darknessbowman wrote:
On 12/01/2015 06:04 AM, philo wrote:
Good old Lucas

I owned a TR-3 for 30 years and under the hood there were two fuses.

One day I was careless in replacing a fuse and stuck a replacement in
the empty space between the fuse holders...it fit there just fine.

Caused no harm but starting the car required no key.

Lucas was just anticipating key fobs by a decade or three.

The back of the ignition switch was easily accessible and even a rank
amateur car thief could easily have hot wired the TR-3.

That said, they would be pretty hard to steal because getting one
started at all was not a sure thing...especially if the temp. got the
least bit on the cool side.

+1 HAA

I kinda pity British people driving cars like that. Lucas, knight of
darkness. Really fitting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/01/2015 03:18 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I kinda pity British people driving cars like that. Lucas, knight of
darkness. Really fitting.

They deserve it... I went through my British sports car phase as did
most of my friends. They were marginally better than Italian sports cars
but that's another story.

I found some of the performance specs for the '60s generation of sports
cars on line. Sadly, my Yaris would smoke most of them, handles a lot
better, starts in the morning, and has a working heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/01/2015 09:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sounds like a Jag. To drain the radiator, remove the fuse behind the
left taillight.

That's a step up from the XK150's. To do anything, start removing
bodywork and wheels. But they were classy looking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 22:50:08 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 12/01/2015 09:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sounds like a Jag. To drain the radiator, remove the fuse behind the
left taillight.

That's a step up from the XK150's. To do anything, start removing
bodywork and wheels. But they were classy looking.

My friend has only had his Jag for 3 months but he loves it. Even his
wife says it will be hard for her to drive her car. He lived in NYC
until 9 months ago, had a Cadillac for a while, and then rented cars.
Now he's in Georgia.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 11:46:40 PM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:
On 12/01/2015 03:18 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I kinda pity British people driving cars like that. Lucas, knight of
darkness. Really fitting.

They deserve it... I went through my British sports car phase as did
most of my friends. They were marginally better than Italian sports cars
but that's another story.

I found some of the performance specs for the '60s generation of sports
cars on line. Sadly, my Yaris would smoke most of them, handles a lot
better, starts in the morning, and has a working heater.

Yaris made the list...there are *much* worse!

http://www.carspoon.com/article/32-u...of-all-time/1/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/01/2015 09:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sounds like a Jag. To drain the radiator, remove the fuse behind the
left taillight.

That's a step up from the XK150's. To do anything, start removing
bodywork and wheels. But they were classy looking.

My friend has only had his Jag for 3 months but he loves it. Even his
wife says it will be hard for her to drive her car. He lived in NYC
until 9 months ago, had a Cadillac for a while, and then rented cars.
Now he's in Georgia.

Ford did a lot to get them on the right path and Tata dumped a lot of
money into them and sales have increased. the style of the sedans is
bland, but the F-type series has some potential. In any case, way
overpriced for what you get.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/01/2015 09:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sounds like a Jag. To drain the radiator, remove the fuse behind the
left taillight.

That's a step up from the XK150's. To do anything, start removing
bodywork and wheels. But they were classy looking.

My friend has only had his Jag for 3 months but he loves it. Even his
wife says it will be hard for her to drive her car. He lived in NYC
until 9 months ago, had a Cadillac for a while, and then rented cars.
Now he's in Georgia.

Ford did a lot to get them on the right path and Tata dumped a lot of
money into them and sales have increased. the style of the sedans is
bland, but the F-type series has some potential. In any case, way
overpriced for what you get.

The model he wanted was no longer made. Maybe that's the only reason
why he bought a used car, or maybe he would have anyhow.