Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vacuum Packing

Some interesting work arounds if you have the sealer already and just
want an alternative to the special bags

This one is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2WTfpJQaY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some interesting work arounds if you have the sealer already and just want an
alternative to the special bags

This one is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2WTfpJQaY

Excellent! That looks like exactly what I want! Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
Some interesting work arounds if you have the sealer already and
just want an alternative to the special bags

This one is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2WTfpJQaY

Excellent! That looks like exactly what I want! Thanks!

Let me add a "me too!!" to that . I'm betting that just the part of the seal
with the lines will allow this to work . My oldest and his wife gave me a
vac saeler a while back , haven't used it yet because of the special bag
needed . This rocks !

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/22/2015 11:55 AM, Don Y wrote:
Some interesting work arounds if you have the sealer already and just
want an
alternative to the special bags

This one is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2WTfpJQaY

Excellent! That looks like exactly what I want! Thanks!

That's cool!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/22/2015 11:09 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Don Y wrote:
Some interesting work arounds if you have the sealer already and
just want an alternative to the special bags

This one is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2WTfpJQaY

Excellent! That looks like exactly what I want! Thanks!

Let me add a "me too!!" to that . I'm betting that just the part of the seal
with the lines will allow this to work .

I'm not sure that I follow your meaning...? What "lines"?

My oldest and his wife gave me a
vac saeler a while back , haven't used it yet because of the special bag
needed . This rocks !

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
Some interesting work arounds if you have the sealer already and
just want an alternative to the special bags

This one is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2WTfpJQaY

Excellent! That looks like exactly what I want! Thanks!

Let me add a "me too!!" to that . I'm betting that just the part of
the seal with the lines will allow this to work .

I'm not sure that I follow your meaning...? What "lines"?

The zip grooves, I assume.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
Some interesting work arounds if you have the sealer already and
just want an alternative to the special bags

This one is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2WTfpJQaY

Excellent! That looks like exactly what I want! Thanks!

Let me add a "me too!!" to that . I'm betting that just the part of
the seal with the lines will allow this to work .

I'm not sure that I follow your meaning...? What "lines"?

The zip grooves, I assume.

But that's what the guy used in the video...

I originally thought that you could, perhaps, just insert a small
portion of that "seal" in the bag -- like a 1" long strip -- just
enough to bridge the point in the SEALER where the bag gets
pinched at the heating element.

If that was the case, then a machine that temporarily inserted
small diameter metal tubes in key places to allow air to be
extracted by keeping the sides of the bag from being pressed
together would work perfectly (then, withdraw the tubes when
you heat the plastic to seal it).

But, I wonder if you might not need the "spacers" (tubes) to
more fully penetrate the bag -- like in the video. If failing
to do so might not allow all of the air to be evacuated... ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
Some interesting work arounds if you have the sealer already and
just want an alternative to the special bags

This one is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2WTfpJQaY

Excellent! That looks like exactly what I want! Thanks!

Let me add a "me too!!" to that . I'm betting that just the part of
the seal with the lines will allow this to work .

I'm not sure that I follow your meaning...? What "lines"?

My oldest and his wife gave me a
vac saeler a while back , haven't used it yet because of the special
bag needed . This rocks !

If you look at the top of the bag between the lock groove and the edge ,
there are some lines molded in , probably intended to give a better grip .
Those molded lines might act as evacuation vents . I'll have to dig my unit
out and try it .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
Some interesting work arounds if you have the sealer already and
just want an alternative to the special bags

This one is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2WTfpJQaY

Excellent! That looks like exactly what I want! Thanks!

Let me add a "me too!!" to that . I'm betting that just the part of
the seal with the lines will allow this to work .

I'm not sure that I follow your meaning...? What "lines"?

My oldest and his wife gave me a
vac saeler a while back , haven't used it yet because of the special
bag needed . This rocks !

If you look at the top of the bag between the lock groove and the edge ,
there are some lines molded in , probably intended to give a better grip .

Ah, OK. You're hoping they are "thick enough" to play the same role
as the (thick) zipper.

But, what would you gain by doing this? You'd still have cut off the
zipper (or, are you thinking you can keep the zipper and not "melt
seal" the bag)?

Those molded lines might act as evacuation vents . I'll have to dig my unit
out and try it .

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
[...]

This might let the bag seal without repeating the cycle like the guy in the
video . Might not too ... and might not work at all . .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
[...]

Ah! Because those "ridges" (lines) aren't as dramatic as the zipper!
Good point!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
[...]

Mike offers some sound, logical explanations for the process.

Don, I think the use of part of the zip-loc seal, as shown in the video,
if pure genius. If it works as claimed, each zip-loc bag used provides
it's own components. You have a set of fresh "evacuation aides" with
each new bag you use. Snip them off the one you're sealing now or use
the ones from the one you sealed last week. The zip-loc seal is not
used in the videoed process. Seal it once over the "evacuation aide"
and then trim that aide down a tad and seal it again. Job's done and
likely every bit as good as the high priced "dedicated" bags.

I believe you're correct in assuming that you have to provide an air
channel all the way down - at least with contents like meat - think
hamburger - due to Mike's rationale. With nuts and grain products
that's not going to be a problem. With the meat, even if you have a
long bag filled with hamburger or a steak or chicken, once the vacuum
starts I would think just squeezing the contents or pulling up on the
bag here and there would accomplish the desired result: even contact
with the food and some degree of compaction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don, I think the use of part of the zip-loc seal, as shown in the video, if
pure genius. If it works as claimed, each zip-loc bag used provides it's own
components. You have a set of fresh "evacuation aides" with each new bag you
use.

Not only that, but the portion that is *in* the bag is undamaged (thermally)
by the process. So, you can reuse the portion of *it* that remains after
you cut off the sealed portion. I.e., you can reuse a single zip loc
(freezer) bag as Oren described -- getting slightly smaller with each
reuse.

One thing I dislike about the zip loc bags (instead of reusable containers)
is that the seals fail over time. SWMBO will make a heroic effort to
reuse one of these "failing" bags -- much to my frustration! I.e., when
I encounter it in the freezer, I am now faced with trying to get it to
reseal despite the fact that the seal has lost it's mojo.

Snip them off the one you're sealing now or use the ones from the one you
sealed last week. The zip-loc seal is not used in the videoed process. Seal
it once over the "evacuation aide" and then trim that aide down a tad and seal
it again. Job's done and likely every bit as good as the high priced
"dedicated" bags.

Yes. And, if/when you "run out" in the middle of a "packaging frenzy",
you aren't left with a bunch of partially packaged goods that now need
some alternative storage means while you wait to find a new supplier of
(needlessly unique, overpriced) bags!

I believe you're correct in assuming that you have to provide an air channel
all the way down - at least with contents like meat - think hamburger - due to
Mike's rationale. With nuts and grain products that's not going to be a
problem. With the meat, even if you have a long bag filled with hamburger or a
steak or chicken, once the vacuum starts I would think just squeezing the
contents or pulling up on the bag here and there would accomplish the desired
result: even contact with the food and some degree of compaction.

We're not really concerned with reducing the volume of the items.
It's just tedious to individually package items. E.g., when we purchase
chicken breasts, we lay out 3 or four small pieces of saran wrap on
the counter. As I cut the breast, I drop a piece in the center of
each of these while SWMBO wraps them up and tosses them into a large
zip loc bag. The "label" (indicating date code, weight, where bought,
etc.) off the package gets tossed into a baggie and placed alongside
(so, in case of a recall, we can tell which zip loc bags may have affected
contents -- along with keeping track of which meat is oldest).

With this (vacuum) scheme, I could opt to put two "chunks" in a small
(flimsy) sandwich zip loc, side by side but not in contact with each
other. Vacuum pack and then toss the package into a bag (or, container
when I get my wish!). If I then make a point of consuming them two
at a time, I can simply cut the bag in half and have two small chunks
of chicken that will quickly defrost (instead of a single larger piece or
pair of pieces frozen to each other)!

Nutmeats could be vacuum packed in a large (gallon) freezer zip loc
bag which is then repacked each time some are withdrawn from the
bag (which allows the NOW SMALLER bag to remain compatible with the
diminished contents) -- nuts don't "stick together" when frozen so
there would be no problem pouring some particular amount from the
bag.

I'd even consider vacuum packing the 5lb sacks of flour that we
store in the freezer (we typically buy 10 at a time)! Currently,
I wrap each sack in one of those flimsy plastic "grocery bags"
just to act as a vapor barrier when the flour is eventually
removed from the freezer. This cuts down on the formation of
condensate on/in the flour as it comes to room temperature during
the few humid times, here.

I'd have to locate some larger, flimsy bags -- similar to the
sandwich bags -- as the (heavy) *freezer* bags wouldn't be
reusable (they'd be nice and clean but would keep shrinking
after each succesive use!)

[Thankfully, that isn't typical in the pre-holiday season when
sacks come out of the freezer most often]

[[We are heavily invested in our freezer! :]]

Vacuum packing Don Y[_3_] Home Repair 23 November 25th 15 01:56 AM
Packing Nut-How tight? seagar Home Repair 12 January 24th 07 03:07 PM
Packing out tiling? [email protected] UK diy 7 October 9th 06 09:20 PM
How to get rid of packing peanuts? John Rumm UK diy 36 February 5th 05 12:41 PM
'Packing' a stopcock? Richard Blackwood UK diy 7 December 11th 04 04:28 PM