Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Foundation Repairs

We have been getting a musty smell in our basement and I think I finally found a spot in the corner where water is starting to come in. I have to admit this scared me a bit, but I contacted a guy at http://nocrackfoundationrepair.com in Arkansas area, and he was extremely helpful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 12:42:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
We have been getting a musty smell in our basement and I think I finally found a spot in the corner where water is starting to come in. I have to admit this scared me a bit, but I contacted a guy at http://nocrackfoundationrepair.com in Arkansas area, and he was extremely helpful.

you need a interior french drain ideally with a gravity drain to daylight, or a sump pump.

first fix obvious issues like overflowing gutters, clogged drain pipes, ground sloped wrong way toward home etc etc.

note you cannot seal water out! drylock paint is fine for tiny moisture issues but not for real water in basement issues.

I worked ne summer as a laborer on my moms house wet basement. installed exterior french drain, resloed entire yard, all new downspout underground lines. i worked hard. spent over 8 grand. new sidewalks etc

had nice dry basement for a couple months. then the water returned coming up thru floor......

gave up and had interior french drain installed for $3500 bucks, that eded the water problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:42:39 -0800 (PST), wrote:

We have been getting a musty smell in our basement and I think I finally found a spot in the corner where water is starting to come in. I have to admit this scared me a bit, but I contacted a guy at
http://spamcrackfoundationrepair.com in Arkansas area, and he was extremely helpful.

I bet he filled it with SPAM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 6:02:00 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:42:39 -0800 (PST), wrote:

We have been getting a musty smell in our basement and I think I finally found a spot in the corner where water is starting to come in. I have to admit this scared me a bit, but I contacted a guy at
http://spamcrackfoundationrepair.com in Arkansas area, and he was extremely helpful.

I bet he filled it with SPAM

You may be right. According to the last fact on this page, Arkansans
are tied for 3rd in the country for SPAM consumption:

http://www.wackyuses.com/wf_spam.html

"The average Hawaiian eats twelve cans of SPAM a year, followed by
the average Alaskan with six cans, and Texans, Alabamians, and
Arkansans with three cans apiece."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 20:21:31 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

[...]

Which just means your outer drain was not properly installed. (unless
you had an artesian well under the house)
An interior drain is "virtually always" a secondary choice and
inferior solution to a properly installed and functioning exterior
footing drainage system. (and a sump pump system is always a less
desireable solution than a "gravity" drain to "daylight" - although
unavoidable in too many instances)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I live on top of a sandy hill, so drainage is not a problem. As long
as the grading is done properly, dry basements are the norm.

However, I work with a number of people who have sump pumps. All I
ever hear about is problems. Right now one of my co-workers is using
the pump he uses to drain his pool cover down in the basement while
he gather the parts to build a dual-pump set-up so he has a back-up.

Another coworker just installed a water powered back-up pump because
he lost power during a recent storm and his basement flooded.

I am so glad I don't have to deal with that issue.

On a somewhat similar note, my grandparents didn't have a drainage
problem per se, they had storm related sewer problems. Back when
Pepe built the house, the storm and waste sewers were one and the
same (or were connected in some manner. Overflow? I forget.)

Other houses on his street were having problems with sewage backing
up into the house during bad storms, so as part of the build, he
installed one of these in the basement floor:

http://blog.worldwidemetric.com/wp-c...Gate-valve.jpg

Whenever a storm was predicted or if they were leaving the house for
an extended period of time, they would close the valve. Of course, that
meant no flushing while the valve was closed so things sometimes got
interesting, especially when they had company. Grandma's sister lived
on the next street over, but their back yards were connected. Ciocia
Josie's house didn't have the same sewer problem and I remember running
through the yards in the rain to use her bathroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

you need a interior french drain ideally with
a gravity drain to daylight, or a sump pump.

I'm sure the poster is a spammer. But... for the sake
of discussion I would just make one point: More often
than not a leaky cellar wall can be cured by getting
water away from the house. The typical problem is a
downspout that's not diverted. Another typical problem
is leaky soil. That can often be cured by burying a
plastic rubbish bag to act like an underground umbrella
over the spot. I wouldn't consider a French drain unless
I were certain that the water table is going above the
cellar floor level when it rains.

As for the spam post....

The whois for that domain turns up this:

Registrant Email:
Admin Name: Jim Rigney
Admin Organization: SEO Kenosha

SEO, for those who don't know, is search engine
optimization. SEO Kenosha is in the business of
helping (some would say fleecing) website owners
to improve their traffic (some would say cheat) by
using various tricks in hopes of increasing Google
search rating. (Various things other than having
useful webpage content, that is.)

One good way to increase incoming links, which
can help with Google ratings, is to put his clients'
URLs in newsgroups.

nocrackfoundationrepair.com website is an amateur
hack job put together with Wordpress. (Wordpress
is a set of free tools for people who don't know how
to do webpage coding.) I'm guessing that the foundation
repair people are a client of our friend Jim. (At best.
It could just be a scam.) Their homepage looks very
fishy. They claim to be licensed, but licensed in what?
And no license number is provided. They don't even show
an address. A search on the first phone number turns
up another website -- m-r-po-wer-s-lab.c-o-m. They
seem to be listed in Yelp, though with no reviews. So
it may be a real company that just had the misfortune to
turn over their website management to someone who's
more interested in SEO tricks of dubious value than in
good web design.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 10:49:34 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
you need a interior french drain ideally with
a gravity drain to daylight, or a sump pump.

I'm sure the poster is a spammer. But... for the sake
of discussion I would just make one point: More often
than not a leaky cellar wall can be cured by getting
water away from the house. The typical problem is a
downspout that's not diverted. Another typical problem
is leaky soil. That can often be cured by burying a
plastic rubbish bag to act like an underground umbrella
over the spot. I wouldn't consider a French drain unless
I were certain that the water table is going above the
cellar floor level when it rains.

Another solution is a dry well.

I have an addition that was built long before I moved in. My house
is on kind of a sloped lot, flat in the front and flat in the back,
with about an 8' elevation change handled by slopes on both sides.

When they built the addition, the back door ended up below the grade
of the back yard by about 4". There is a small "patio" (~5' x ~5') in
front of the door that you step down onto from the yard. The patio is
bordered by double landscape timbers on 3 sides, like a short
retaining wall.

When we first moved in, we found that during the worst of the worst
storms (it happened twice in 4 years) the small patio area would fill
with water and once it reached about 3" it would come in under the door.

I solved the problem by digging a hole to fit a 55 gallon poly drum. I
lined the bottom of the pit with gravel and cut big holes in the top
and bottom of the drum. I then built a 4' x 4' PT "deck" on 2" x 2"
joists and laid it in the patio space.

I now have an almost level transition from the yard into the house but
more importantly it would take at least 55 gallons of rain to fill
the drum then at least another 30 gallons to fill the patio up to the
bottom of the door.

In the 25 years since I installed the dry well, I've never seen any
standing water in the patio area even during the worst of the worst
storms.