Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does anyone run cable tv wire through the house anymore?

Hello all.
Finishing my basement.
My wife wants a 50+" tv on the basement wall ..."whenever I'm done." We're NOT trying to make a "media screening room" with perfect seating and acoustics. Just a big tv with some comfy sofas.

My question is, is it worth the effort to extend the cable tv wire to this location from the main floor tv/cable/dvr box? Or are today's tvs and perhaps a dvr box upgrade so fantastic that I can just as well do everything via my local wifi network in the house? I haven't stayed current with the latest A/V tech and I just don't want to go through all the trouble to run the cable wire for nothing.

Related follow up question: my wife wants surround-sound and is asking me to install speakers in the walls and ceiling. Is this sort of thing done anymore? or strictly a 1990's thing? Again, I don't want to install something that is obsolete or even regrettable.

Experienced opinions greatly appreciated.
Online references and guides appreciated too.
Thanks
Theodore

Cable-tidy wire? Lobster UK diy 30 January 5th 13 08:18 PM
wire and cable broker [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 November 14th 09 02:10 PM
how to add a ground wire to my two wire house? torino Home Repair 32 June 26th 07 10:02 PM
Wire cable in deck railing riverhome Home Repair 9 April 27th 06 03:50 PM
FS: 4/0 Copper Cable / Wire Jess Metalworking 0 July 26th 05 01:33 AM