Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Does anyone run cable tv wire through the house anymore?

wrote:
Hello all.
Finishing my basement.
My wife wants a 50+" tv on the basement wall ..."whenever I'm done." We're NOT trying to make a "media screening room" with perfect seating and acoustics. Just a big tv with some comfy sofas.

My question is, is it worth the effort to extend the cable tv wire to this location from the main floor tv/cable/dvr box? Or are today's tvs and perhaps a dvr box upgrade so fantastic that I can just as well do everything via my local wifi network in the house? I haven't stayed current with the latest A/V tech and I just don't want to go through all the trouble to run the cable wire for nothing.

Related follow up question: my wife wants surround-sound and is asking me to install speakers in the walls and ceiling. Is this sort of thing done anymore? or strictly a 1990's thing? Again, I don't want to install something that is obsolete or even regrettable.

Experienced opinions greatly appreciated.
Online references and guides appreciated too.
Thanks
Theodore

If you have a smart TV and home network with good router it is possible.
Where is your cable entry point in your house? At my house, all cable
entry point is basement utility room and upper two floors have cable
connector in every room and loft.