Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does anyone run cable tv wire through the house anymore?

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 06:03:35 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 18:31:25 -0800 (PST), wrote:

My question is, is it worth the effort to extend the cable tv wire to this location from the main floor tv/cable/dvr box? Or are today's tvs and perhaps a dvr box upgrade so fantastic that I can just as well do everything via my local wifi network in the house? I haven't stayed current with the latest A/V tech and I just don't want to go through all the trouble to run the cable wire for nothing.

I'd run the cable for reliability.

Related follow up question: my wife wants surround-sound and is asking me to install speakers in the walls and ceiling. Is this sort of thing done anymore? or strictly a 1990's thing? Again, I don't want to install something that is obsolete or even regrettable.

Some of the new sound bars are rather good. I have a pricey surround
sound with 6.1 but doing it again I'd get a good sound bar and forget
about wiring speakers.

You still end up with