Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air sampling fixture

I need a (cosmetic) cover for a wall/ceiling mounted "air sampling station".

In a sense, this is similar to what a smoke detector does (i.e., a smoke
detector "samples the air" for signs of smoke) so I started looking at
those for ideas.

But, I don't want anything that resembles a smoke detector too much
lest it be thought of *as* a smoke detector (leading to a false
sense of security). So, I've been looking for more visually
distinct "enclosures"/covers. For example:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Smoke_detector,_Russia.JPG

http://www.ontariooregon.org/images/Fire/smokedetector.gif

http://image.dhgate.com/albu_398144475_00-1.0x0/ufo-wifi-camera-security-photoelectric-cordless.jpg

The first looks like it would be the best choice as it *least*
resembles a smoke detector (at least in the US!)

Any other suggestions as to similar devices that I might want to consider?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe the enclosure from a small stereo speaker ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 7:51:24 AM UTC-5, Retired wrote:
Maybe the enclosure from a small stereo speaker ?

I think the concern about it resembling a smoke detector
is largely irrelevant. If it does, so what? In buildings
you see a variety of gizmos on the ceiling. Make sure you
have the required smoke detectors and what the air sampler
looks like doesn't matter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 03:21:24 -0600, Don Y
wrote:

[...]

Would a fake security camera dome strike your fancy?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/08/2015 04:21 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

http://www.lowes.com/pd_234-41698-104800R___

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2015 5:51 AM, Retired wrote:
Maybe the enclosure from a small stereo speaker ?

I think that would tend to be large -- even for a "small" speaker.

The advantage/appeal of a smoke detector "case"/cover is that they
seem to be designed to be as unobtrusive as possible -- folks
don't really want to *notice* the smoke detectors in their homes, etc.

Along that same line of reasoning, I've seen some *indoor* PIr detectors
for alarm systems that "try to be unobtrusive" (same rationale: folks
don't want to *see* the stuff that comprises their alarm system) that
might be usable in wall-mount scenarios.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2015 6:08 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

The third URL, above, is exactly that -- though masquerading as a smoke
detector.

But, I think most cameras tend to be larger (at least all of mine are).
And, like my original desire NOT to have this be mistaken for a smoke
detector, I think being mistaken for a *camera* might be even more
unsettling. What would you do if you walked into someone's bathroom
and saw something that *looked* like a camera affixed to the ceiling
(or wall)?

:-/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2015 6:25 AM, Shirley U. Jest wrote:
[...]

Ooo! That's pretty! But, probably *large* (sticks off the "mounting surface"
too far). I have Lowe's on the list for today so I will see if they have
one to examine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 02:21:24 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

[...]

Look at small - loosely woven - wicker baskets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Nov 2015 07:51:19 -0500, Retired wrote:

Maybe the enclosure from a small stereo speaker ?

Or make it look like an air outlet like used in some central air
conditioning systems?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Nov 2015 08:25:21 -0500, "Shirley U. Jest"
wrote:

[...]

What i envision is something like a "disk valve" ventilation outlet
like in this page http://www.maico-fans.com/index.php?id=g6014&L=1
from Maico.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2015 11:23 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

The first looks like it would be the best choice as it *least*
resembles a smoke detector (at least in the US!)

Any other suggestions as to similar devices that I might want to consider?

Look at small - loosely woven - wicker baskets.

frown I think if you saw wicker baskets hanging all over the place, you'd
wonder, "WTF???" And, ceiling mounted would *really* make folks wonder!

Clever idea, though! For "one off", it would probably be ideal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 12:09:00 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 11/8/2015 11:23 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

The first looks like it would be the best choice as it *least*
resembles a smoke detector (at least in the US!)

Any other suggestions as to similar devices that I might want to consider?

Look at small - loosely woven - wicker baskets.

frown I think if you saw wicker baskets hanging all over the place, you'd
wonder, "WTF???" And, ceiling mounted would *really* make folks wonder!

Clever idea, though! For "one off", it would probably be ideal.

How many "air sampling stations" are you planning on hanging?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/8/2015 11:23 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

The first looks like it would be the best choice as it *least*
resembles a smoke detector (at least in the US!)

Any other suggestions as to similar devices that I might want to consider?

Look at small - loosely woven - wicker baskets.

frown I think if you saw wicker baskets hanging all over the place, you'd
wonder, "WTF???" And, ceiling mounted would *really* make folks wonder!

Clever idea, though! For "one off", it would probably be ideal.

How many "air sampling stations" are you planning on hanging?

In a home, at least one per heating/cooling zone. In homes
where air flow to/from rooms/areas can be controlled (e.g.,
servo'd dampers), at least one for each such controlled area.
Add to that areas where you would want to know about other
aspects of air "quality" and its easy to see having LOTS
of them.

I.e., any place where you would want to know qualities of
the air in order to make control decisions.

As you're typically dealing with a bunch of loosely coupled
systems (e.g. "rooms"), what you do in one affects others
and what you *see* in one reflects what's happening in
others.

In commercial spaces, this gets even more intertwined -- more
rooms, more ways for things (air) to interact.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm... this would "look different" so fits that bill. But, while
it *seems* very low profile, there's actually a lot of cruft hidden up
behind it. I assume it is intended to fit in a round conduit?

I could probably remove the "insides" but don't know if that wouldn't
leave me with a bigger problem to solve...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you plan on battery power or do you need standard 120 Volt electricity via the mounting boxes you referred to?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Would not be hard to make a housing like that - if you hace any
volume at all. Could be as simple as vacuum forming snd cutting with
an xacto knife.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 11:53:39 -0600, Don Y
wrote:

On 11/8/2015 6:08 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Would a fake security camera dome strike your fancy?

The third URL, above, is exactly that -- though masquerading as a smoke
detector.

But, I think most cameras tend to be larger (at least all of mine are).
And, like my original desire NOT to have this be mistaken for a smoke
detector, I think being mistaken for a *camera* might be even more
unsettling. What would you do if you walked into someone's bathroom
and saw something that *looked* like a camera affixed to the ceiling
(or wall)?

:-/

The bathroom thing completely slipped by me. You've
already thought about exhaust fan covers. Something from an automotive
ventilation system maybe? My Ford company pickup has vents about 4" in
diameter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2015 6:10 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 11:53:39 -0600, Don Y wrote:

On 11/8/2015 6:08 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Would a fake security camera dome strike your fancy?

The third URL, above, is exactly that -- though masquerading as a smoke
detector.

But, I think most cameras tend to be larger (at least all of mine are).
And, like my original desire NOT to have this be mistaken for a smoke
detector, I think being mistaken for a *camera* might be even more
unsettling. What would you do if you walked into someone's bathroom
and saw something that *looked* like a camera affixed to the ceiling
(or wall)?

:-/

The bathroom thing completely slipped by me. You've

Yeah, you have to think real hard about *all* aspects of a problem
instead of just taking the easy/obvious route to a solution! :-/

[Many years ago, I designed a medical instrument whose full, lengthy name
abbreviated to "PID". Apparently, bad choice: "Pelvic Inflammatory Disease".
So, we had to change the name so it didn't conjure up the wrong impressions
in the market we were addressing!]

already thought about exhaust fan covers. Something from an automotive
ventilation system maybe? My Ford company pickup has vents about 4" in
diameter.

The smoke detector is the ideal "model" for what I'm after. In a sense,
it "samples air". It is intended to be unobtrusive. Can be encountered
on a wall or a ceiling. Typically mates to a standard Jbox.

I just need something that's very similar -- without being "the same"
(hence the "russian" unit I mentioned... unlikely any US homes or
businesses will ever encounter one of *those*!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 3:21:14 AM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Round ceiling speaker grill. It has holes in it that can be used for intake and exhaust. Air filter material can also be put behind it. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-.../dp/B0002BSQUI

[8~{} Uncle Grill Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2015 6:23 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 20:38:51 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 11/8/2015 5:18 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 12:51:56 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 11/8/2015 11:24 AM,
wrote:
On Sun, 8 Nov 2015 07:51:19 -0500, Retired wrote:

Maybe the enclosure from a small stereo speaker ?
Or make it look like an air outlet like used in some central air
conditioning systems?

I'd like to build on a standard round Jbox (for ceiling mounts)
or a 4" square (for wall mounts). This gives me a place to stuff
"bits" as well as a scheme that would be familiar to installers.
Get your hands on a Maiko TK of the appropriate size and see how it
is made. I believe the plastic bits come off of the metal bits quite
easily, and you could very easily make it fit on a JBox

I'd like not to have to go into business making "covers".
So, would prefer to find something that can easily be repurposed
(and, if part of someone else's product, just approach them
to buy that component from them directly)

Check with Maico (or a similar manufacturer) if, after checking their
product for useable parts, you find it could be useable. Often you can
buy the shole thing for way less than the cost of the parts and just
drill out a few rivets or spotwelds, or cut off a part with a band-saw
and have what you need.

As I said, I'd not like to have to go into business making covers.
Making two or three (or even ten) "by hand" as a "one time deal"
is not a problem. What *is* a problem is having to make hundreds
at a time -- and having to do so for "the foreseeable future".

It's much easier to find someone who is already using a "component"
(cover) that is suited to my needs and then approach them to just
"add X units" to their next purchase (as most folks don't do their
own injection molding but, rather, contract that out to a "supplier").

The downside (for this "someone") is that they have to deal with my
added needs, billing me, separating "my" part of the shipment from
*theirs*, etc. So, they should expect to make a bit of money on
the transaction.

The upside for them is they look like a bigger customer to *their*
supplier and don't have any real "obligations" to me (as their
customer) beyond just passing along the items.

The upside to me is I can get the benefits of hard tooling without
having to incur that cost. And, avoid even soft-tooling costs as
well!

The downside to me is I'm captive to a particular "supplier" -- who
may opt to redesign that product (or, this *part* of that product)
and leave me stuck looking for an alternative supplier.

OTOH, I can always take a sample piece of the cover (with or without
their consent) and create tooling from it. It's not like they'll
have any (legal) protections against that (assuming I don't incorporate
any patented features or any corporate logos).

[But, then I'm back with the tooling costs to address]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y posted for all of us...

I need a (cosmetic) cover for a wall/ceiling mounted "air sampling station".

Any other suggestions as to similar devices that I might want to consider?

How about a Maxwell House coffee can with holes punched in it?
How about a pill bottle with holes in it?
How about a weather sensor cover?
How about a tampon?
How about a CCTV cover?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 15:31:43 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

Don Y posted for all of us...

I need a (cosmetic) cover for a wall/ceiling mounted "air sampling station".

Any other suggestions as to similar devices that I might want to consider?

How about a Maxwell House coffee can with holes punched in it?
How about a pill bottle with holes in it?
How about a weather sensor cover?
How about a tampon?
How about a CCTV cover?

Those don't sound like a "cosmetic" solution. Maybe makeup?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 15:31:43 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

Don Y posted for all of us...

I need a (cosmetic) cover for a wall/ceiling mounted "air sampling station".

Any other suggestions as to similar devices that I might want to consider?

How about a Maxwell House coffee can with holes punched in it?
How about a pill bottle with holes in it?
How about a weather sensor cover?
How about a tampon?
How about a CCTV cover?

Those don't sound like a "cosmetic" solution. Maybe makeup?

He's just installing a fart sensor so "What difference does it make?"

Maybe an air scoop from a AMC Pacer?

--
Tekkie