Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Air sampling fixture

On 11/8/2015 6:10 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 11:53:39 -0600, Don Y wrote:

On 11/8/2015 6:08 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Would a fake security camera dome strike your fancy?

The third URL, above, is exactly that -- though masquerading as a smoke
detector.

But, I think most cameras tend to be larger (at least all of mine are).
And, like my original desire NOT to have this be mistaken for a smoke
detector, I think being mistaken for a *camera* might be even more
unsettling. What would you do if you walked into someone's bathroom
and saw something that *looked* like a camera affixed to the ceiling
(or wall)?

:-/

The bathroom thing completely slipped by me. You've

Yeah, you have to think real hard about *all* aspects of a problem
instead of just taking the easy/obvious route to a solution! :-/

[Many years ago, I designed a medical instrument whose full, lengthy name
abbreviated to "PID". Apparently, bad choice: "Pelvic Inflammatory Disease".
So, we had to change the name so it didn't conjure up the wrong impressions
in the market we were addressing!]

already thought about exhaust fan covers. Something from an automotive
ventilation system maybe? My Ford company pickup has vents about 4" in
diameter.

The smoke detector is the ideal "model" for what I'm after. In a sense,
it "samples air". It is intended to be unobtrusive. Can be encountered
on a wall or a ceiling. Typically mates to a standard Jbox.

I just need something that's very similar -- without being "the same"
(hence the "russian" unit I mentioned... unlikely any US homes or
businesses will ever encounter one of *those*!)