Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED Bulbs not Satisfactory in Trouble Lights

Last night I was doing some work outdoors after dark, and was using a
trouble light. The old incandescent 100W bulb died, so I went to get
another. But it turned out that I did not have any handy. Before they
outlawed them, I bought several cases of them, but to save on space in
the house, I put them in a shed which is well filled with stuff. I was
not about to go dig thru that shed last night, when I was in the middle
of a job. I had just bought some of those low cost 60W LED bulbs at
Walmart, and they were right in front of my face, so I grabbed one of
them.

I knew that I never liked any bulbs less than 100W for trouble lights,
but this had to do for now.

Besides the (expected) lower wattage issue, I found that the LED bulb
did not focus the light in the same way as a convential bulb. LEDs seem
to focus the light out of their TOP, where all the light used from a
trouble light comes from the side of the bulb. I came to the conclusion
that LED bulbs are not the best for trouble lights.

Any light is better than no light, so I lived with it, knowing I was
almost done with my outside work for the night. Otherwise I may have
gone in the house and grabbed one of the CFL bulbs I have been replacing
with LED lately.

Unless they design a LED that focuses the light from the SIDE of the
bulb, the common trouble lights wont work the best with LED bulbs. Maybe
the solution is to redesign the shields on trouble lights, rather than
change the LED bulbs ?????

One other comment: I recently wanted to buy some of the incandescent
ROUGH SERVICE bulbs when I was at Walmart. I know those were not
outlawed, yet none were on the store shelves. The Rough Service bulbs
were always better for trouble lights and lasted much longer. Walmart
did have halogen type bulbs in the 100W range, but I avoid them. I've
burned myself enough times on trouble lights, using common incandescent
bulbs, and halogen burns much hotter. No thanks on a hotter shield near
me when I'm working.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So LED is not bright enough and incandescent or
halogen risks burns? Is there a question there?
I don't know what other options you might think
there are.

I like the 70w halogen (100 w equiv) for work lights.
I never thought about the heat, frankly. I don't
touch them when they're on and I never sit them
on dropcloths, so it's not an issue. I also use a
300 watt halogen shop light sometimes. There's
nothing to match when you need bright, clear light.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 2:32:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

there are led troublelights that look liikea paddle, covered on one side with leds.

they appear similar to the free led lights from harbor freight.....

they work awesome, espically since they are free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

One great thing about the HF trouble lights (besides they are free sometimes) is the magnet on the back and the folding hook that make it possible to use the light in almost any situation,

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

2 possible solutions:

A few years ago I bought one of these for "outside in the dark" work.

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-wat...ght-40123.html

As designed, the light only goes as high as 44", which I found too low for lighting
large areas. In addition, at that height they are too close to eye level. At
500 Watts, it really hurts when you accidentally look into them.

I still have some adjustable aluminum tent poles from our Boy Scout troop of
50 years ago. I inserted one of them between the 2 sections of the base. Now
the work light starts at about 6 ft and goes as high as 10. At 10 ft, you can light up
a pretty wide area.

Another option is an LED headlamp. I just bought one a few weeks ago and used
it for the first time this week. I strapped it on and proceeded to take all the
Halloween decorations out of my front yard as if it was mid-day. Everywhere I looked,
I had light. No shadows, no accidental blindings, just light wherever I needed it. Sweet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 13:31:03 -0600, wrote:

Last night I was doing some work outdoors after dark, and was using a
trouble light. The old incandescent 100W bulb died, so I went to get
another. But it turned out that I did not have any handy. Before they
outlawed them, I bought several cases of them, but to save on space in
the house, I put them in a shed which is well filled with stuff. I was
not about to go dig thru that shed last night, when I was in the middle
of a job. I had just bought some of those low cost 60W LED bulbs at
Walmart, and they were right in front of my face, so I grabbed one of
them.

Some cut.

The LED headlamps Derby Dad mentioned work pretty well. One can
choose
how many of the bulbs are lit on the ones I have. I think
Walmart also has some LED lights that look like a book. There are rows
of lights on each half.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 7:30:44 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

The one I bought at HD has 3 settings. I used High for the work I was doing, but
I can see (no pun intended) Low and Medium being good for camping, etc.

When SWMBO and I went camping in Maine this summer, a lot of our neighbors
from north of the border were wearing those headlamps around the campground.

I gotta admit, it seems to beat carrying a flashlight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2015 6:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I also use strap on head lamps. Great invention.
This one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

Can pull out the bulb, and put in a Mini Mag LED
conversion. Head lamp runs on two AA cells which
last a long time. Lamp is bright, and totally useful.
Pivots so I can look through distance or near vision
and still have light on the subject.

Bought one of these work lights.

http://www.harborfreight.com/110-vol...ork-light.html

It is a failure as area light, just shines
a spot on the far wall.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Last night I was doing some work outdoors after dark, and was using a
trouble light. The old incandescent 100W bulb died, so I went to get
another. But it turned out that I did not have any handy. Before they
outlawed them, I bought several cases of them, but to save on space in
the house, I put them in a shed which is well filled with stuff. I was
not about to go dig thru that shed last night, when I was in the middle
of a job. I had just bought some of those low cost 60W LED bulbs at
Walmart, and they were right in front of my face, so I grabbed one of
them.

Can't say which might work. Been using CFLs for ages. Seem more rugged and
I don't get burned.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 1:32:32 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

I have a few of these which are excellent work lights and are great power outage lights which will run for a very long time from the 3 D cells in the base. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y15ZSW

[8~{} Uncle Light Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2015 4:16 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I have a few of these which are excellent work lights and are great power outage lights which will run for a very long time from the 3 D cells in the base. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y15ZSW

[8~{} Uncle Light Monster

These used to be called Jeep lights, and I
got two of them. Later found em at Kmart in
the camping section for less than I paid
(sob!). I like them for working, the tilt
head is nice. The button allows me to select
10 or 20 LED, for bright or longer battery
life.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/07/2015 09:13 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I got a couple of the blue ones, off, 3 LED, 27 LED.

A friend was working under my trailer, I let him use
one of these. Loved it, lay the light on the ground,
puts light on the work. Better than the 3D mag light.

Keep one with batteries, just in case.

I have a small fleet '98 Blazers.
I mounted one under each hood.