Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carpet smells after steam-clean

On Wednesday, May 6, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Leslie Fowler wrote:
Help! Our carpets were steam-cleaned before we moved into our house. The
previous owners did not have pets, and I don't think the original owners
did either. The living room has original carpeting (16 years). It was fine
prior to the cleaning but now it smells like cat pee! My father-in-law
suspects the foam underneath the carpet is disintegrating (aided by the
steam-clean) and is causing the smell. Any opinions on this or what we
should do to alleviate the smell? We didn't want to replace the carpet so
soon (we're thinking about putting in hardwood flooring a year or two from
now when we have some $ saved up for this). Thanks for any advice.

Leslie

Just want to chime in here to give hope to anyone else googling this problem. We had our carpets steam cleaned on Saturday. They were all dry by Sunday except the basement stairs. By Monday they stunk real bad, like cat ****. We didn't have a cat. The carpet everywhere else smelled fresh. Even if the previous owners had a cat, the stairs is an unlikely spot for a cat to pee. I googled this and a popular opinion was the pad got wet, and the solution was to get the carpet and padding DRY. I couldn't believe the smell would ever go away. I put a fan on it and called the carpet cleaner guy. He came that night with a big industrial size fan and said with the lack of airflow the stairs didn't dry quickly enough and he conceded that perhaps the water wasn't extracted well enough in the first place. He said he would come back the next day and redo the stairs and/or deodorize. By the next day the smell was completely GONE. Even with your nose down to the carpet. I am not a professional, I just wanted to say get those carpets DRY quick. And at least for us the unbelievable bad smell did go completely away!