Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carpet smells after steam-clean

Mark, can you explain why nearly two year-old carpet with medium grade pad would smell so strongly of dog odor after being steam cleaned with the rotary steamer, enzyme pre-treatment and enzyme after treatment?

We have two dogs but their coats do not smell. When they do start to develop an odor we bathe them and it takes care of it. The odor after the clean is terrible. Overwhelming dog-coat smell. The cleaners came back two days later to clean again. They did not enzyme treat after the clean initially because there was no odor and we didn't have stains. They used the after treatment the second time. For most of the day, all we could smell is the treatment. Gradually, the smell started coming through the treatment scent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Mark, can you explain why nearly two year-old carpet with medium grade pad
would smell so strongly of dog odor after being steam cleaned with the
rotary steamer, enzyme pre-treatment and enzyme after treatment?

We have two dogs but their coats do not smell. When they do start to develop
an odor we bathe them and it takes care of it. The odor after the clean is
terrible. Overwhelming dog-coat smell. The cleaners came back two days later
to clean again. They did not enzyme treat after the clean initially because
there was no odor and we didn't have stains. They used the after treatment
the second time. For most of the day, all we could smell is the treatment.
Gradually, the smell started coming through the treatment scent.

---

I'm not Mark and I can't explain it but I do know that smell. Daughter used
to go to a tutor with a dog and I could always tell when she had cleaned the
carpets. It wasn't pleasant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 22:21:26 -0700, wrote:

Mark, can you explain why nearly two year-old carpet with medium grade
pad would smell so strongly of dog odor after being steam cleaned with
the rotary steamer, enzyme pre-treatment and enzyme after treatment?

We have two dogs but their coats do not smell. When they do start to
develop an odor we bathe them and it takes care of it. The odor after
the clean is terrible. Overwhelming dog-coat smell. The cleaners came
back two days later to clean again. They did not enzyme treat after the
clean initially because there was no odor and we didn't have stains.
They used the after treatment the second time. For most of the day, all
we could smell is the treatment. Gradually, the smell started coming
through the treatment scent.

not Mark, but will 'guess'...

dog skin dander flaking off and working down everywhere into the carpet.
Gets wet. Bacteria starts breaking it down. and you get dog coat smell.
You can break the cycle with a small amount of bleach added to the carpet
'rinse' water. Or Febreze, if you carpet is not color stable to bleach.

Again, my guess here, maybe Nestork will wade in.
Senior Member

Well, my name isn't Mark, but I can explain what's happening and why.

Basically, when a carpet smells after a bath just the same way as a dog smells after a bath, the reason is because in both cases you're providing perfect conditions for a bacterial population explosion, and it's the growth and multiplication of bacteria that causes the smell.

Dust, which is mostly organic matter (dead skin cells, fabric and paper fibers, pollen, etc) provides food for bacteria. No matter how good your vaccuum cleaner is, organic dust will eventually accumulate way down deep into the carpet pile. When you then get that carpet wet, you provide what a bacterium would consider "Heaven"; plenty of food and the ability to move around easily in the wettness in the carpet. So, when you shampoo a carpet, the bacteria in it start to multiply like crazy, and it's that bacterial population explosion that makes the wet carpet smell much the same as a wet dog, and for exactly the same reason.

New carpets and dogs that regularily get baths (like show dogs) don't smell like that after a bath because they don't have large amounts of organic food accumulated in them, so there's no bacterial population explosion when they get wet.

To eliminate the smell as quickly as possible, dry the carpet as quickly as possible. That will eliminate the bacteria's ability to multiply, thereby ending the population explosion and the smell. Maybe beg, borrow or steal a dehumidifier and set that up in the middle of the carpet.

And, what you're carpet is telling you is that it's at the end of it's life. You can try vaccuuming it vigorously, but when carpets smell after getting wet the usual cause is that there's so much organic food accumulated so deep in the carpet that vaccuuming won't get it out, and it'll smell every time you shampoo it.

When a professional carpet cleaner is hired to shampoo an old carpet that he suspects is going to stink after cleaning, he'll add a bacteriacide to the solution tank water. So, the water he sprays down on the carpet kills all the bacteria it contacts, and that prevents the carpet smell. It's not the best way of doing things, but he'd rather do that than get complaints about the smell afterwards, or explain to the customer that they really need a new carpet and not get the job at all. You can buy bacteriacide for carpet cleaning at any place listed under "Janitorial Equipment & Supplies" in your Yellow Pages phone directory, and one bottle should be considered a life time supply since your best bet now is to replace that carpet.

And now you know why regular cleaning with a good vaccuum cleaner is the most effective way to increase the life of your carpet. Regular vaccuuming removes organic matter from the surface of the carpet before it has a chance to fall deep into the carpet pile where it can't be removed, but will provide food for the bacteria.

I am also surprised that your carpet will have accumulated this much organic matter in it in only two years. Normally, one would expect that to happen after 20 or 30 years. The only thing I can think of that might explain that is the presence of two dogs rubbing on the carpet combined with a lack of effective vaccuuming.

Last edited by nestork : September 5th 14 at 02:54 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:22:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/5/2014 1:21 AM, wrote:
Mark, can you explain why nearly two year-old carpet with medium grade pad would smell so strongly of dog odor after being steam cleaned with the rotary steamer, enzyme pre-treatment and enzyme after treatment?

We have two dogs but their coats do not smell. When they do start to develop an odor we bathe them and it takes care of it. The odor after the clean is terrible. Overwhelming dog-coat smell. The cleaners came back two days later to clean again. They did not enzyme treat after the clean initially because there was no odor and we didn't have stains. They used the after treatment the second time. For most of the day, all we could smell is the treatment. Gradually, the smell started coming through the treatment scent.

I'm not Mark, but I did talk to him. He recommends you get rid of the
carpet and put in wood or tile floors. Dogs leave dander, hair, and
other stuff that gets deep into the carpet and stinks when wet.

Ceramic tile would be best in hallways and slab floors.

When our "stinker" dog died, we replaced the rugs and the chair she
sometimes lounged on. Unbelievable stench after repeated washings.
Hosing the rugs outside, scrubbing with a brush and suds 3 times
didn't make a dent in the smell. Wool rugs. Threw them out.
Didn't use an anti-bacterial, and it's probably a good idea to use it,
She never smelled bad, just doggy, but apparently her oils got in the
rugs and chair. Our two other dogs are no problem, but they sleep on
pads/pillows which get machine washed when they get ripe.
The pads/pillows smell fresh after washing. Mostly cotton.
Different dogs do have different odors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2014 1:21 AM, wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Also female vs. male and neutered or spayed and not makes difference too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Question:

wrote in message ...
Mark, can you explain why nearly two year-old carpet with medium grade pad would smell so strongly of dog odor after being steam cleaned with the rotary steamer, enzyme pre-treatment and enzyme after treatment?

Answer:

We have two dogs

....but their coats do not smell. When they do start to develop an odor we bathe them and it takes care of it. The odor after the clean is terrible. Overwhelming dog-coat smell. The cleaners came back two days later to clean again. They did not enzyme treat after the clean initially because there was no odor and we didn't have stains. They used the after treatment the second time. For most of the day, all we could smell is the treatment. Gradually, the smell started coming through the treatment scent.

Senior Member

Quote:
You do have to let the dogs outside to use the potty. After 2 years
with the dogs pooping and peeing inside, I'm surprised you can live in
that nasty place you call home.
Aren't you reading a little too much into the question there, Mark?

If the dogs were messing all over the carpet for the past two years, I expect the lady wouldn't be wondering why the carpet stinks. I'm guessing she'd be able to figure out that much without any help.

Last edited by nestork : September 6th 14 at 03:37 AM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Mark, can you explain why nearly two year-old carpet with medium grade pad would smell so strongly of dog odor after being steam cleaned with the rotary steamer, enzyme pre-treatment and enzyme after treatment?
If the carpet cleaners told you they used an enzyme "after treatment", then they didn't know what they were talking about.

The best way to clean a carpet is as follows:
1. Spray on an enzyme pre-cleaner and allow at least 20 minutes for it to work.
(Spray on a traffic lane cleaner if you need to clean tracked in asphalt off the carpet.)
2. Shampoo the carpet, and then
3. Apply an acidic rinse.

An enzyme is nothing more than a protein that breaks other proteins down into small pieces, thereby making them more readily soluble in water. Spraying down an enzyme "pre-spray" is always the first step in cleaning a carpet. Typically, carpet cleaning enzymes need at least 15 to 20 minutes to work, but there's no harm done by leaving them on longer.

Some people also spray "traffic lane cleaner" down before shampoo'ing, before or after the enzyme pre-spray, but "heavy duty traffic lane cleaner" is really just a detergent like Simple Green; it's formulated to remove petroleum based dirt rather than normal household dirt. When people walk over asphalt, they track asphalt onto the carpet and regular carpet soaps won't work well to remove that asphalt. Traffic lane cleaners are used to remove asphalt. If you don't have any asphalt involved in your situation, you don't need to use a traffic lane cleaner. If, on the other hand, you just finished paving your driveway with new asphalt, then a large percentage of the dirt on your carpet will be asphalt, and you need to use Simple Green or a traffic lane cleaner to remove that asphalt from your carpet.

I've used different carpet soaps to clean the living room carpets in my building, and I can't say any one of them worked any better than any other one. So, now, I just use ordinary Mr. Clean in my carpet extractor, and I find it does as good a job of getting my carpets clean as any so-called "professional" carpet cleaning soap I've used in the past.

After shampoo'ing the carpet, it's best to either spray on a very mild acid, or go over the carpet again with a very mild acid in the solution tank. The reason for this is that detergents (and soaps in general) tend to be alkaline (basic). Most foods, and hence most food stains on carpets, tend to be acidic. By using an acidic rinse on the final pass over the carpet, or spraying down a mild acid, you make the carpet slightly acidic and therefore more resistant to food stains. (Think "opposites attract", so an acidic carpet will repel acidic food stains.)

Janitorial Supply stores will sell acids to be used as the final rinse in carpet cleaning, but most carpet cleaning contractors that bother with an acidic rinse will just use 1 to 2 cups of vinegar diluted in 5 gallons (CDN) of water in their solution tank.

That three step process above; enzyme pre-spray, shampoo, then acidic rinse is generally regarded to be the best way to shampoo a carpet. In most cases, carpet cleaning contractors will do the prespray but not the acidic rinse. After spraying on the enzyme, they use the 20 minutes the enzyme needs to work to set up their equipment. After shampoo'ing, going over the carpet with acidic rinse water in the solution tank is as much work as shampoo'ing the carpet a second time, so no one's going to do that acidic rinse unless you pay them double. And, truth be told, I kinda doubt that final acidic rinse really makes much of a difference. Certainly, MOST of the dirt comes out of the carpet during the middle stage, when you're shampoo'ing the carpet.

Last edited by nestork : September 6th 14 at 04:54 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:

When a professional carpet cleaner is hired to shampoo an old carpet
that he suspects is going to stink after cleaning, he'll add a
bacteriacide to the solution tank water. So, the water he sprays down
on the carpet kills all the bacteria it contacts, and that prevents the
carpet smell. It's not the best way of doing things, but he'd rather do
that than get complaints about the smell afterwards, or explain to the
customer that they really need a new carpet and not get the job at all.

Why not? I'm not arguing just curious why a bacteriacide wouldn't be a good
SOP?
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbowman View Post
nestork wrote:

When a professional carpet cleaner is hired to shampoo an old carpet
that he suspects is going to stink after cleaning, he'll add a
bacteriacide to the solution tank water. So, the water he sprays down
on the carpet kills all the bacteria it contacts, and that prevents the
carpet smell. It's not the best way of doing things, but he'd rather do
that than get complaints about the smell afterwards, or explain to the
customer that they really need a new carpet and not get the job at all.

Why not? I'm not arguing just curious why a bacteriacide wouldn't be a good
SOP?
That's a good question.

I regularily shampoo the carpets in 19 rented apartments after tenants move out, and I never have to use a bacteriacide so it's something that just never crossed my mind. Why not use a bacteriacide just in case? The chemicals aren't expensive, and if I were going to shampoo someone else's carpet, where I really didn't know the condition of the carpet, it would be smart to use a bacteriacide in the solution tank just to make sure I didn't get complaints about the carpet smelling afterwards.

I guess the same question could be rephrased as: "Why don't we add a bottle of methyl hydrate everytime we fill up our gas tanks in the winter?" It wouldn't cost very much, and it would prevent our cars from stalling if water got into the gas tank. And I guess the best answer to that question is that it's normally not a problem.

It's very possible that most carpet cleaning contractors automatically add bacteriacides to their solution tank as standard operating procedure, just to prevent customer complaints about smelly carpets. It's just that I don't know if they all do that all the time. My understanding is that they only do it when they suspect a carpet will smell.

Last edited by nestork : September 6th 14 at 07:06 PM

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had Stanley Steamer clean my carpet and have had a horrible smell since they had done it. Called them back and told them about the odor and they came back out and redid my carpets and both times used a live enzyme deodorizer done. My carpet still has a horrible smell and it's not from any pets. What could be causing this smell?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09-Oct-17 8:11 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

No idea, but then you haven't given sufficient hints.

I suggest you open the windows and doors and turn on any fans you have.

I suspect since the original post was in May, 1998, OP's either gotten
used to it or replaced them or moved by now...

In reality, as the posters back then responded, in all likelihood there
was a previous owner with pets and the steam cleaning dissolved
existing pet urine in the carpet and pad and left the residual odors
therefrom for the (then) current resident...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb writes:

On 09-Oct-17 8:11 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

No idea, but then you haven't given sufficient hints.

I suggest you open the windows and doors and turn on any fans you have.

I suspect since the original post was in May, 1998, OP's either gotten
used to it or replaced them or moved by now...

In reality, as the posters back then responded, in all likelihood
there was a previous owner with pets and the steam cleaning dissolved
existing pet urine in the carpet and pad and left the residual odors
therefrom for the (then) current resident...

Goodness, I missed the "" in front of the post but
linda seemed to be posting about a new issue.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09-Oct-17 9:54 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

Goodness, I missed the "" in front of the post but
linda seemed to be posting about a new issue.

New response to old post; I'd venture the problem is the same, however;
there is something in the carpet/pad from previous owner(s) that has
been reactivated by the steam cleaning that is now the source of the odor.

With time the carpet/pads will fully dry again and it'll again abate and
become "the new normal"...

'Tis a risk any time you try such a procedure if you don't have complete
knowledge of the past it may come back to haunt.