Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Carpet smells after steam-clean

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:22:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/5/2014 1:21 AM, wrote:
Mark, can you explain why nearly two year-old carpet with medium grade pad would smell so strongly of dog odor after being steam cleaned with the rotary steamer, enzyme pre-treatment and enzyme after treatment?

We have two dogs but their coats do not smell. When they do start to develop an odor we bathe them and it takes care of it. The odor after the clean is terrible. Overwhelming dog-coat smell. The cleaners came back two days later to clean again. They did not enzyme treat after the clean initially because there was no odor and we didn't have stains. They used the after treatment the second time. For most of the day, all we could smell is the treatment. Gradually, the smell started coming through the treatment scent.

I'm not Mark, but I did talk to him. He recommends you get rid of the
carpet and put in wood or tile floors. Dogs leave dander, hair, and
other stuff that gets deep into the carpet and stinks when wet.

Ceramic tile would be best in hallways and slab floors.

When our "stinker" dog died, we replaced the rugs and the chair she
sometimes lounged on. Unbelievable stench after repeated washings.
Hosing the rugs outside, scrubbing with a brush and suds 3 times
didn't make a dent in the smell. Wool rugs. Threw them out.
Didn't use an anti-bacterial, and it's probably a good idea to use it,
She never smelled bad, just doggy, but apparently her oils got in the
rugs and chair. Our two other dogs are no problem, but they sleep on
pads/pillows which get machine washed when they get ripe.
The pads/pillows smell fresh after washing. Mostly cotton.
Different dogs do have different odors.