Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. All American Makers

It's a show on the Science Channel, Wednesday evenings. Inventors try
to convince Marc Portney to give
them money to progress with their inventions. Portney has two guys that
test the products.
He also has average group of folk to give their opinion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Very odd, someone flagged your post as abusive. Are you in league with Burkaboy? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Odd Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/04/2015 10:22 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

It's a show on the Science Channel, Wednesday evenings. Inventors try to convince Marc Portney to give
them money to progress with their inventions. Portney has two guys that test the products.
He also has average group of folk to give their opinion.

The Science Channel is in my cable company's ultra-mega-jumbo programming pack
that adds $80/month more to the basic cable bill. That's $960/year!
Too rich for my blood. I trimmed my cable bill years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/4/2015 10:22 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

It's a show on the Science Channel, Wednesday evenings. Inventors
try to convince Marc Portney to give
them money to progress with their inventions. Portney has two guys that
test the products.
He also has average group of folk to give their opinion.

I was in a Kwik Fill gasoline station this week. On
the shelf next to the sales counter they had
telescoping rod for sale with a plastic bracket. I
read the box, they were "extendign selfie sticks"
or some such name. So you could hold your cell phone
out and take a picture of your self. I rolled my eyes
and said a prayer for the selfish, self absorbed dumb
Americans. I bet they sell a million.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2015 6:09 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/4/2015 10:22 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

It's a show on the Science Channel, Wednesday evenings. Inventors
try to convince Marc Portney to give
them money to progress with their inventions. Portney has two guys
that
test the products.
He also has average group of folk to give their opinion.

I was in a Kwik Fill gasoline station this week. On
the shelf next to the sales counter they had
telescoping rod for sale with a plastic bracket. I
read the box, they were "extendign selfie sticks"
or some such name. So you could hold your cell phone
out and take a picture of your self. I rolled my eyes
and said a prayer for the selfish, self absorbed dumb
Americans. I bet they sell a million.

They were a thing, then they became passe nearly as fast. Now they're
being unloaded at discounters everywhere. I keep wondering if I should
get one to use as an extension rod when I need to shoot a photo in a
space I can't reach or fit my arm in. Inside a pipe, for instance, or
under a car, or hanging over the eave to get a better view of
something under the overhang. Or even just to shoot photos at ground
level when I don't feel like getting flat on the ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-05, Dean Hoffman wrote:

It's a show on the Science Channel, Wednesday evenings.

"Makers"! As if.....

They usta be called tinkerers, hobbyists, DIY'ers, even inventors.
Some quick-buck artists figured "makers" would launch a whole new
generation of clueless consumers and they seem to have gotten it
right. Now, everyone is a maker. No longer satisfied with being a
mere electronics hobbyist or an ancient ham radio aficionado, they
gotta be electronics "makers". Buy "maker" books. Join "maker"
clubs. Attend "maker" fairs. I prefer the term, "rubes".

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 04:14:38 -0600, Arnie
wrote:

On 11/04/2015 10:22 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

It's a show on the Science Channel, Wednesday evenings. Inventors
try to convince Marc Portney to give
them money to progress with their inventions. Portney has two guys
that test the products.
He also has average group of folk to give their opinion.

The Science Channel is in my cable company's ultra-mega-jumbo
programming pack
that adds $80/month more to the basic cable bill. That's $960/year!
Too rich for my blood. I trimmed my cable bill years ago.

DISH has it on their bottom tier of channels. That puts it in line
with my budget.
I think the invention Portney funded last time was the Coffeeboxx.
It's
a coffee maker for construction sites. A design expert looked at it
and made a couple suggestions Ordinary people gave it their once over.
Portney's
guys set it between a couple concreter blocks then drove the left rear
tire of a car
on it. It's interesting to see what the tests for the inventions will be.
I hear about some folk's cable or phone bills and am amazed. I can
understand
for older people or handicapped that can't get around. Healthy people
need to
get off their butts.
I just read that a brisk walk is as good as a hard workout for some
things.
Article about it here in the Daily Record: http://tinyurl.com/orrs2a3

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/05/2015 09:05 AM, notbob wrote:
They usta be called tinkerers, hobbyists, DIY'ers, even inventors.
Some quick-buck artists figured "makers" would launch a whole new
generation of clueless consumers and they seem to have gotten it
right. Now, everyone is a maker. No longer satisfied with being a
mere electronics hobbyist or an ancient ham radio aficionado, they
gotta be electronics "makers". Buy "maker" books. Join "maker"
clubs. Attend "maker" fairs. I prefer the term, "rubes".

Beats the **** out of watching cat videos on an iPhone. At least they're
doing something more or less constructive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 8:18:51 AM UTC-6, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
[...]

I have a grabber I use to pick things up from the floor or get something out of my reach when I'm in the bed or wheelchair. I wonder if I could use one of those selfie sticks to drag something to me that rolls under the bed or under a table so I can bend down from my wheelchair and pick it up? It would be easier to take a collapsible stick than carrying a 36" grabber with me everywhere I roll. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Rolling Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-05, Dean Hoffman wrote:

It's a show on the Science Channel, Wednesday evenings.

"Makers"! As if.....

They usta be called tinkerers, hobbyists, DIY'ers, even inventors.
Some quick-buck artists figured "makers" would launch a whole new
generation of clueless consumers and they seem to have gotten it
right. Now, everyone is a maker. No longer satisfied with being a
mere electronics hobbyist or an ancient ham radio aficionado, they
gotta be electronics "makers". Buy "maker" books. Join "maker"
clubs. Attend "maker" fairs. I prefer the term, "rubes".

nb

Hell, Redneck and Polish engineers are very creative. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Inventive Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. All American Makers / selfie sticks as grabbers

On 11/6/2015 10:24 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I have a grabber I use to pick things up from the floor or get something out of my reach when I'm in the bed or wheelchair. I wonder if I could use one of those selfie sticks to drag something to me that rolls under the bed or under a table so I can bend down from my wheelchair and pick it up? It would be easier to take a collapsible stick than carrying a 36" grabber with me everywhere I roll. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Rolling Monster

From what I've seen of selfie sticks, no. They
don't open and close. Just a semi rigid holder
for the camera phone.

Useless for picking items off the floor.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 6:52:31 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/6/2015 10:24 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I have a grabber I use to pick things up from the floor or get something out of my reach when I'm in the bed or wheelchair. I wonder if I could use one of those selfie sticks to drag something to me that rolls under the bed or under a table so I can bend down from my wheelchair and pick it up? It would be easier to take a collapsible stick than carrying a 36" grabber with me everywhere I roll. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Rolling Monster

From what I've seen of selfie sticks, no. They
don't open and close. Just a semi rigid holder
for the camera phone.

Useless for picking items off the floor.
--
.

Dragging towards me, not picking up. I can bend down and pick it up if it's next to the chair. I can't get on my hands and knees but I can use a stick to pull something towards me. My bamboo backscratcher is a great retrieval tool and I have a 26 inch wooden dressing stick with an eye hook on one end and a formed plastic coated wire pusher puller thing on the other end. Then I have the 32 inch grabber. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Economy-Reache.../dp/B0015T947U

http://www.amazon.com/Duro-Med-Alumi.../dp/B0009STNME

[8~{} Uncle Stick Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

http://www.amazon.com/Duro-Med-Alumi.../dp/B0009STNME

[8~{} Uncle Stick Monster

I have several of these. The only problem is they can't grab small items at
the end. Also the cord needs to be adjusted every so often. Don't lift
anything heavy (like a bottle of soda) and twist the jaws while doing it.
No, I am not criticizing but warning what can one expect for $15 ? I haven't
found anything to replace them either.

I will find the name of another aid that I find useful.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 3:49:09 PM UTC-6, Tekkie® wrote:
Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

http://www.amazon.com/Duro-Med-Alumi.../dp/B0009STNME

[8~{} Uncle Stick Monster

I have several of these. The only problem is they can't grab small items at
the end. Also the cord needs to be adjusted every so often. Don't lift
anything heavy (like a bottle of soda) and twist the jaws while doing it.
No, I am not criticizing but warning what can one expect for $15 ? I haven't
found anything to replace them either.

I will find the name of another aid that I find useful.
--
Tekkie

The stick also allows me to drag heavy items toward me so I can bend down and pick them up. If I can get a robot body like Iron Man has without all the weapons and rockets, I'd be happy. ^__^

[8~{} Uncle Iron Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2015 3:49 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

http://www.amazon.com/Duro-Med-Alumi.../dp/B0009STNME

[8~{} Uncle Stick Monster

I have several of these. The only problem is they can't grab small items at
the end. Also the cord needs to be adjusted every so often. Don't lift
anything heavy (like a bottle of soda) and twist the jaws while doing it.
No, I am not criticizing but warning what can one expect for $15 ? I haven't
found anything to replace them either.

I will find the name of another aid that I find useful.

You need a PikStik. Stronger and with textured silicone pads so it can
pick up even small stuff. I bought one for my mom and ended up buying
a couple more for the yard and the garage. They come in several
lengths, you can get them on Amazon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dragging towards me, not picking up. I can bend down and pick it up if
it's next to the chair. I can't get on my hands and knees but I can use
a stick to pull something towards me. My bamboo backscratcher is a great
retrieval tool and I have a 26 inch wooden dressing stick with an eye
hook on one end and a formed plastic coated wire pusher puller thing on
the other end. Then I have the 32 inch grabber. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Economy-Reache.../dp/B0015T947U

http://www.amazon.com/Duro-Med-Alumi.../dp/B0009STNME

[8~{} Uncle Stick Monster

Remember the Popeil Pocket Fisherman? Make a sport of grabbing
things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 7:01:57 PM UTC-6, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Dragging towards me, not picking up. I can bend down and pick it up if
it's next to the chair. I can't get on my hands and knees but I can use
a stick to pull something towards me. My bamboo backscratcher is a great
retrieval tool and I have a 26 inch wooden dressing stick with an eye
hook on one end and a formed plastic coated wire pusher puller thing on
the other end. Then I have the 32 inch grabber. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Economy-Reache.../dp/B0015T947U

http://www.amazon.com/Duro-Med-Alumi.../dp/B0009STNME

[8~{} Uncle Stick Monster

Remember the Popeil Pocket Fisherman? Make a sport of grabbing
things.
--

Is Ron still alive or is he now using the Popeil Pocket Coffin? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Pocket Monster

Private Banking Made Simple - because patsy wasted American Soldiers will just refuse to defend American values - Torture is a crime against God and Humanity. - Bush closed 911 investigations according to the FBI. Gunner Asch[_4_] Woodworking 0 February 9th 09 02:40 AM
Ice Makers Dottie Home Repair 6 April 15th 08 02:06 AM
Music Makers Woodworking 2 January 30th 06 04:56 PM
Music Makers Woodworking 1 January 30th 06 01:25 AM
American Only (was: charge an american device in Europe) Adrian Brentnall Electronics Repair 0 January 18th 05 08:14 AM