Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ice Makers

I am getting a new refrigerator today and will put the old one in the
garage. I would like to remove the old ice maker so I would have more
space in the freezer. Does anyone know how difficult this is?
(Frigidaire) And is it safe to just take it out? I mean, I assume
there won't be any wires left just dangling....but I don't know for
sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You should be able to just remove it. As an example, my refrigerator
has as an option an ice maker that I can install, and there is an
electrical connector flush to the inside wall that I can connect it
to. Presumaby therewould also be a hole in the refrigerator somewhere
where the water line used to be that you would have to plug.

I am assuming that your ice maker is entirely inside the refrigerator,
as opposed to the type with a feed in the door (which you can probably
also just disconnect, but I personally wouldn't know).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 7:17 am, Dottie wrote:
I am getting a new refrigerator today and will put the old one in the
garage. I would like to remove the old ice maker so I would have more
space in the freezer. Does anyone know how difficult this is?
(Frigidaire) And is it safe to just take it out? I mean, I assume
there won't be any wires left just dangling....but I don't know for
sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Information on the model would be best as there are website that offer
schematics that will show the installation and removal procedures for
appliance components. However on average the removal of the in
freezer ice maker mechanism is not too difficult providing you have
basic mechanical/tool knowledge. What you want to check for is post
removal openings that will allow outside air to enter the compartment
and reduce the efficiency of your unit. Post your Refrigerator make
and model and I'll try to find a web site for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 7:17 am, Dottie wrote:
I am getting a new refrigerator today and will put the old one in the
garage. I would like to remove the old ice maker so I would have more
space in the freezer. Does anyone know how difficult this is?
(Frigidaire) And is it safe to just take it out? I mean, I assume
there won't be any wires left just dangling....but I don't know for
sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here is one web site to get you started
Have a good day!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 7:17 am, Dottie wrote:
I am getting a new refrigerator today and will put the old one in the
garage. I would like to remove the old ice maker so I would have more
space in the freezer. Does anyone know how difficult this is?
(Frigidaire) And is it safe to just take it out? I mean, I assume
there won't be any wires left just dangling....but I don't know for
sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ooops!! Forgot the paste: http://www.appliance411.com/parts/partslists.shtml

Sorry about that!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 9:53 am, gigster wrote:
On Apr 14, 7:17 am, Dottie wrote:

I am getting a new refrigerator today and will put the old one in the
garage. I would like to remove the old ice maker so I would have more
space in the freezer. Does anyone know how difficult this is?
(Frigidaire) And is it safe to just take it out? I mean, I assume
there won't be any wires left just dangling....but I don't know for
sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ooops!! Forgot the paste:http://www.appliance411.com/parts/partslists.shtml

Sorry about that!

The man who delivered the new one also moved the old refrigerator to
the garage for us. He removed the old ice maker which had stopped
working. He said I could just leave it the way it is - with a small
hole where the water came in. I can feel no cold air coming out
anywhere and it appears to be working fine. The freezer is still a
lot colder on it than on the new one. Guess it will catch up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

He said I could just leave it the way it is - with a small
hole where the water came in. I can feel no cold air coming out
anywhere and it appears to be working fine.

Oh no...you should definitely plug it no matter how small. Even if you
only put some tape over the inside and another piece over the outside. If
there is a thickness being spanned then maybe stuff something in there like
a wisp of fiberglass, a sliver of a Styrofoam packing peanut or even some
plumber's putty or caulk and then tape over that. If it's just a rubber
grommet with a 1/4" hole then just tape both inside and out. Electricity
is too expensive to leave any hole.

The freezer is still a
lot colder on it than on the new one. Guess it will catch up.

A new fridge can take a surprisingly long time to cool down. The machinery
can fill the compartments with cold air in minutes but there's a lot of
thermal mass with the inner walls, racks, etc. that take time to chill
down.

Music Makers Woodworking 2 January 30th 06 05:56 PM
Music Makers Woodworking 1 January 30th 06 02:25 AM
Portable Ice Makers Ed Hayes Home Repair 8 August 6th 05 03:08 PM
Bread makers Maurice Hood UK diy 16 October 26th 04 12:06 AM