Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New gas furnaces are a rip off!

Our old Amana 92% after 20 yrs is still working good but they say we
should buy a new one at twice the price of the old one. For this kind of
money around $8000.00 they ought to last atleast 30 yrs! why can't they
make the heat exchangers better?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 19:44:01 +0000, Gary
wrote:

Our old Amana 92% after 20 yrs is still working good but they say we
should buy a new one at twice the price of the old one. For this kind of
money around $8000.00 they ought to last atleast 30 yrs! why can't they
make the heat exchangers better?

Who is "THEY"?

If you're talking about advertisers, you should know they're only trying
to get into your wallet, and will tell any lie in order to get into it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Our old Amana 92% after 20 yrs is still working good but they say we
should buy a new one at twice the price of the old one. For this kind of
money around $8000.00 they ought to last atleast 30 yrs! why can't they
make the heat exchangers better?

Who is "THEY"?

If you're talking about advertisers, you should know they're only trying
to get into your wallet, and will tell any lie in order to get into it.

+1

If he has a 92% one that is still working OK, IDK why he thinks he
needs a new one. $8K sounds like furnace plus AC. Maybe the AC died?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Our old Amana 92% after 20 yrs is still working good but they say we
should buy a new one at twice the price of the old one. For this kind of
money around $8000.00 they ought to last atleast 30 yrs! why can't they
make the heat exchangers better?

Who is "THEY"?

If you're talking about advertisers, you should know they're only trying
to get into your wallet, and will tell any lie in order to get into it.

+1

If he has a 92% one that is still working OK, IDK why he thinks he
needs a new one. $8K sounds like furnace plus AC. Maybe the AC died?

My Amana furnace heat exchanger is 10 years old - no wield seams,
stainless steel. Not really a chance for a leak. Maybe they want to
take Gary to the bank?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2015 3:44 PM, Gary wrote:
Our old Amana 92% after 20 yrs is still working good but they say we
should buy a new one at twice the price of the old one. For this kind of
money around $8000.00 they ought to last atleast 30 yrs! why can't they
make the heat exchangers better?

They can, but it costs more.
How much is a heat exchanger? At 92% not much reason to do more than
replace the exchanger and make it safe again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2015 02:44 PM, Gary wrote:
Our old Amana 92% after 20 yrs is still working good but they say we
should buy a new one at twice the price of the old one. For this kind of
money around $8000.00 they ought to last atleast 30 yrs! why can't they
make the heat exchangers better?

Maybe you should find another dealer.

Last year I had my 22 year old 80% efficient furnace replace with a 96%
efficiency model and it was only a few hundred more that the one I
bought back then.

It was under $3000 (including installation of course)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/24/2015 3:44 PM, Gary wrote:
Our old Amana 92% after 20 yrs is still working good but they say we
should buy a new one at twice the price of the old one. For this kind of
money around $8000.00 they ought to last atleast 30 yrs! why can't they
make the heat exchangers better?

They can, but it costs more.
How much is a heat exchanger? At 92% not much reason to do more than
replace the exchanger and make it safe again.

Some heat exchangers are life time warranteed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 2:20:52 AM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/24/2015 3:44 PM, Gary wrote:
Our old Amana 92% after 20 yrs is still working good but they say we
should buy a new one at twice the price of the old one. For this kind of
money around $8000.00 they ought to last atleast 30 yrs! why can't they
make the heat exchangers better?

They can, but it costs more.
How much is a heat exchanger? At 92% not much reason to do more than
replace the exchanger and make it safe again.

Some heat exchangers are life time warranteed.

And some crooks can tell you that the heat exchanger is shot when
there is nothing wrong with it. From the OP, it's not even clear
that anyone has told him anything is wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2015 12:44 PM, Gary wrote:
Our old Amana 92% after 20 yrs is still working good but they say we
should buy a new one at twice the price of the old one. For this kind of
money around $8000.00 they ought to last atleast 30 yrs! why can't they
make the heat exchangers better?

Only a ****ing idiot pays that much for furnace, you poor old sot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2015 03:44 PM, Gary wrote:
Our old Amana 92% after 20 yrs is still working good but they say we
should buy a new one at twice the price of the old one. For this kind of
money around $8000.00 they ought to last atleast 30 yrs! why can't they
make the heat exchangers better?

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453069463

I got a 15-year old Goodman, paid $450, still going strong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

If your furnace has a stainless steel heat exchanger, I'd keep it and have it checked for leakage every year at the start of heating season. I've never seen any stainless steel furnace parts fail due to corrosion. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Stainless Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2015 12:44 PM, Gary wrote:
Our old Amana 92% after 20 yrs is still working good but they say we
should buy a new one at twice the price of the old one. For this kind of
money around $8000.00 they ought to last atleast 30 yrs! why can't they
make the heat exchangers better?

They got you hook, line, and sinker.
LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Our old Amana 92% after 20 yrs is still working good but they say we
should buy a new one at twice the price of the old one. For this kind of
money around $8000.00 they ought to last atleast 30 yrs! why can't they
make the heat exchangers better?

Who is "THEY"?

If you're talking about advertisers, you should know they're only trying
to get into your wallet, and will tell any lie in order to get into it.

+1

If he has a 92% one that is still working OK, IDK why he thinks he
needs a new one. $8K sounds like furnace plus AC. Maybe the AC died?

Maybe the AC died?

A single post from 2 months ago. Maybe the troll died?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 04:25:19 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

If your furnace has a stainless steel heat exchanger, I'd keep it and have it checked for leakage every year at the start of heating season. I've never seen any stainless steel furnace parts fail due to corrosion. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Stainless Monster

My furnace heat exchanger is extruded (?) SS. No welds involved. Less
chance of a leak but we have the system serviced and inspected each
year.