Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there any use for scrap treated wood?

Is there any use for scrap treated wood?

I had to buy an 8' post when I only needed 6' (39" above ground and I
guess 33" below ground)

And I had to buy 10' poles** to make 8' half-round fence rails,
because no one had 8' in 3.5-4" diameter. I bought 7 poles, which
makes 14 rails, and soon I'll have 14 two-foot pieces of treated
semi-round wood.

What useful thing can I possibly do with them?

**It turned out to be good, maybe, that I had to buy poles two feet
too long, because the sawyer had trouble pushing the last foot or so
through his saw (a circular saw with a blade about 4 feet in diameter)
and I didn't have to ask him to try harder to cut through the center
(even though he pretty much did anyhow).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2015 6:30 PM, Micky wrote:
Is there any use for scrap treated wood?

I had to buy an 8' post when I only needed 6' (39" above ground and I
guess 33" below ground)

And I had to buy 10' poles** to make 8' half-round fence rails,
because no one had 8' in 3.5-4" diameter. I bought 7 poles, which
makes 14 rails, and soon I'll have 14 two-foot pieces of treated
semi-round wood.

What useful thing can I possibly do with them?

**It turned out to be good, maybe, that I had to buy poles two feet
too long, because the sawyer had trouble pushing the last foot or so
through his saw (a circular saw with a blade about 4 feet in diameter)
and I didn't have to ask him to try harder to cut through the center
(even though he pretty much did anyhow).

Build a raised flower bed with it.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 23:03:18 -0500, Muggles wrote:

Build a raised flower bed with it.

I've read that is a bad idea as chemicals can leech into the soil,
then into the food crop. At least in the earlier treated wood. I'm
not sure about the new type of treated lumber.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2015 7:30 PM, Micky wrote:
Is there any use for scrap treated wood?

I had to buy an 8' post when I only needed 6' (39" above ground and I
guess 33" below ground)

And I had to buy 10' poles** to make 8' half-round fence rails,
because no one had 8' in 3.5-4" diameter. I bought 7 poles, which
makes 14 rails, and soon I'll have 14 two-foot pieces of treated
semi-round wood.

What useful thing can I possibly do with them?

**It turned out to be good, maybe, that I had to buy poles two feet
too long, because the sawyer had trouble pushing the last foot or so
through his saw (a circular saw with a blade about 4 feet in diameter)
and I didn't have to ask him to try harder to cut through the center
(even though he pretty much did anyhow).

Years ago, before I learned it was advised against, I'd burn it in my
fireplace.

Older treatment was with arsenic and chromium compounds now banned by
the EPA and replaced with copper salts. The newer woods will not
survive in the ground nearly as long.

If you are not breathing the smoke or smoking food with it, I think
burning limited quantities presents no hazard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2015 4:30 PM, Micky wrote:
Is there any use for scrap treated wood?

I had to buy an 8' post when I only needed 6' (39" above ground and I
guess 33" below ground)

And I had to buy 10' poles** to make 8' half-round fence rails,
because no one had 8' in 3.5-4" diameter. I bought 7 poles, which
makes 14 rails, and soon I'll have 14 two-foot pieces of treated
semi-round wood.

What useful thing can I possibly do with them?

**It turned out to be good, maybe, that I had to buy poles two feet
too long, because the sawyer had trouble pushing the last foot or so
through his saw (a circular saw with a blade about 4 feet in diameter)
and I didn't have to ask him to try harder to cut through the center
(even though he pretty much did anyhow).

Maybe you could build a burd cage?
Ever think of that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 11:02:05 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
[...]

WTF is wrong with government wonks who take away stuff that does the job from the people they're supposed to be working for? Treated lumber used to last, insecticides used to kill insects and government agencies never polluted waterways. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Dissident Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 19:30:51 -0400, Micky
wrote:

Is there any use for scrap treated wood?

I had to buy an 8' post when I only needed 6' (39" above ground and I
guess 33" below ground)

And I had to buy 10' poles** to make 8' half-round fence rails,
because no one had 8' in 3.5-4" diameter. I bought 7 poles, which
makes 14 rails, and soon I'll have 14 two-foot pieces of treated
semi-round wood.

What useful thing can I possibly do with them?

**It turned out to be good, maybe, that I had to buy poles two feet
too long, because the sawyer had trouble pushing the last foot or so
through his saw (a circular saw with a blade about 4 feet in diameter)
and I didn't have to ask him to try harder to cut through the center
(even though he pretty much did anyhow).

There are people who can use that. Craft people for instance. If they'd
be square blocks, like from a 4x4, they would be useful for blocking
tires on vehicles or trailers. But round ones are not good for that.

There is some guy I've seen at flea markets who takes all sorts of
objects, such as statues, a casting of a deer, dog, horse, angel, etc
and mounts then on a base. Then he always puts about a 2' piece of post
on it, and has a solar light on top. Then the whole thing has artificial
flowers or ferns, or similar around the whole base.
Someone like that would take them off your hands and might even pay you.

Or put 4 of them in the ground and using treated 2x8's make small raised
flower gardens or something like that.

Post them on Craigslist at $1 each and see what happens......

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

WTF is wrong with government wonks who take away stuff that does the job
from the people they're supposed to be working for? Treated lumber used to
last, insecticides used to kill insects and government agencies never polluted
waterways. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Dissident Monster

I am from the gov't and here to help! (snicker)

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 14:53:42 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

WTF is wrong with government wonks who take away stuff that does the job
from the people they're supposed to be working for? Treated lumber used to
last, insecticides used to kill insects and government agencies never polluted
waterways. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Dissident Monster

I am from the gov't and here to help! (snicker)

You left out the part about "trust me". (G)
--
"Trust me, I'm from the government. I'm here to help."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

WTF is wrong with government wonks who take away stuff that does the job
from the people they're supposed to be working for? Treated lumber used to
last, insecticides used to kill insects and government agencies never polluted
waterways. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Dissident Monster

I am from the gov't and here to help! (snicker)

You left out the part about "trust me". (G)
--
"Trust me, I'm from the government. I'm here to help."

When I able to drive again, I'll get a bumper sticker that reads,"Don't Blame Me I Didn't Vote For Him" ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Vote Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 6:31:16 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
Is there any use for scrap treated wood?

I had to buy an 8' post when I only needed 6' (39" above ground and I
guess 33" below ground)

And I had to buy 10' poles** to make 8' half-round fence rails,
because no one had 8' in 3.5-4" diameter. I bought 7 poles, which
makes 14 rails, and soon I'll have 14 two-foot pieces of treated
semi-round wood.

What useful thing can I possibly do with them?

**It turned out to be good, maybe, that I had to buy poles two feet
too long, because the sawyer had trouble pushing the last foot or so
through his saw (a circular saw with a blade about 4 feet in diameter)
and I didn't have to ask him to try harder to cut through the center
(even though he pretty much did anyhow).

Have you ever seen wris****ches made from wood? ^_^

http://eluxemagazine.com/fashion/wat...ches-for-2015/

[8~{} Uncle Watch Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

WTF is wrong with government wonks who take away stuff that does the job
from the people they're supposed to be working for? Treated lumber used to
last, insecticides used to kill insects and government agencies never polluted
waterways. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Dissident Monster

I am from the gov't and here to help! (snicker)

You left out the part about "trust me". (G)
--
"Trust me, I'm from the government. I'm here to help."

When I able to drive again, I'll get a bumper sticker that reads,"Don't Blame Me I Didn't Vote For Him" ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Vote Monster

Maybe it will be a her in there when this happens. Not trying to hex you but
accelerate this process.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's a thought. Not for me, because I'm in a townhouse and don't
have space.

Post them on Craigslist at $1 each and see what happens......

Good idea.

Thanks everyone
Posted to alt.home.repair

WTF is wrong with government wonks who take away stuff that does the job from the people they're supposed to be working for? Treated lumber used to last, insecticides used to kill insects and government agencies never polluted waterways. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Dissident Monster

lead in paint made paint last a long time, lead in gasoline helped valve life.

of course small kids injested the lead and lost intelligence. i guess that doesnt matter to you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 11:28:41 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

WTF is wrong with government wonks who take away stuff that does the job from the people they're supposed to be working for? Treated lumber used to last, insecticides used to kill insects and government agencies never polluted waterways. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Dissident Monster

lead in paint made paint last a long time, lead in gasoline helped valve life.

of course small kids injested the lead and lost intelligence. i guess that doesnt matter to you?

The kids who ate lead paint became Democrats. I consider that to be very, very tragic. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Smart Monster

Pressure treated wood outdoor swing/slide: should I use wood sealer?? millinghill Home Repair 6 November 4th 12 04:44 PM
HO Buildings from scrap wood Puckdropper[_2_] Woodworking 3 September 24th 11 03:32 AM
They wouldn't let me burn pressure-treated lumber scrap in the campfire Kat Rabun Home Repair 14 February 2nd 10 11:35 PM
Which wood is treated? mm Home Repair 5 October 13th 09 03:52 AM
Scrap wood? Locutus Woodworking 9 March 6th 06 11:40 PM