Posted to alt.home.repair

Default find the dead mouse

in my car! phew it stinks!

it's not in the heating system, it wasn't under
the back seat, but i did find a nest under the
carpeting along the edge of the back seat. no
dead mouse in it though. it's not under or in the
wheel well for the spare. nor is it anywhere i
can see along the edges of the trunk or under
that carpeting.

what i need is a nice enough day again where i
can air the car out and then sit there and see if
i can trace the stink back to the source (yes, i'll
have a shower sometime before then).

thanks to youtube i was able to find out how to
take out the back seats. there was some chewing
going on in the foam under there and a stinky spot
where the mice were peeing but not nearly as bad
as i expected it to be. no dead mouse tho.

any other ideas of spots to look? i've looked
in the central console where the shifter and parking
brake are at, also looked up under the dash, but see
no signs of anything like mouse nest. it may be in
one of the side panels along the seats in the back
but that might take some study to figure out how to
get into those places.

or i just leave it to stink up the car until it
freeze dries this winter? ew... ah well...

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 11:59:44 -0400, songbird
wrote:

[...]

Do you have a dog? See if it will point to a spot while in the
vehicle. Observe what he/she does. YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2015 11:59 AM, songbird wrote:
[...]

Did you check the engine compartment? Animals like to enter there after
the car has stopped due to the warmth. He could be cooking somewhere in
there.

Reminds me of an incident many moons ago. I loaned my car to my dad.
When he returned it, I could smell the stench of a decaying corpse. I
found a possum fried to the side of the engine. I took the car to a
local service station and offered the kid $25 to get it out. The elder
mechanics egged him on to go for it. He reached down and grabbed a paw.
After a yank, the paw came off but the animal still remained. The kid
took a 10 minute breather after gagging, choking and almost puking. His
co-workers were laughing their asses off as was I but they stilled egged
him on. He finally took a broom handle and force it through to the
bottom while all of us were laughing hysterically. It was the best and
most entertaining $25 I ever spent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 14:27:44 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

[...]

....an old prank was to open a can of sardines, put it in the engine
compartment so it would permeate the vehicle cabin.

Never four wheel in a field with rotten tomatoes after a harvest. You
will be sorry :0
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie wrote:
Did you check the engine compartment? Animals like to enter there after
the car has stopped due to the warmth. He could be cooking somewhere in
there.

yep, it's fine, i did find the start of a
nest in the air filter but that was removed
and wire mesh was put over the air intake
opening so they can't get back in again.

Reminds me of an incident many moons ago. I loaned my car to my dad.
When he returned it, I could smell the stench of a decaying corpse. I
found a possum fried to the side of the engine. I took the car to a
local service station and offered the kid $25 to get it out. The elder
mechanics egged him on to go for it. He reached down and grabbed a paw.
After a yank, the paw came off but the animal still remained. The kid
took a 10 minute breather after gagging, choking and almost puking. His
co-workers were laughing their asses off as was I but they stilled egged
him on. He finally took a broom handle and force it through to the
bottom while all of us were laughing hysterically. It was the best and
most entertaining $25 I ever spent.

probably close to the least amount you ever spent
at a mechanic's place too!

i took a cat for a ride down the road for a half
mile before it jumped out. i heard it and then saw
it tumbling in the road in the rearview mirror. we
don't have cats or dogs so it was either one of the
neighbor's cats or one of the feral cats that are
sometimes around.

songbird

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
Do you have a dog? See if it will point to a spot while in the
vehicle. Observe what he/she does. YMMV

no dogs, no cats...

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 11:00:12 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
[...]

A dead mouse can turn up anywhere. ^__^

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dead-mou...ich-in-oregon/

[8~{} Uncle Mouse Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default find the dead mouse (who smoked....)

On 10/17/2015 11:59 AM, songbird wrote:
in my car! phew it stinks!

Similar problem, here. Bought a car that
stinks of cigarettes. Sigh. Will do some
cleaning of surfaces, spray some stuff in
the air, and possibly do some upholstery
cleaning.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
songbird wrote:
in my car! phew it stinks!

Similar problem, here. Bought a car that
stinks of cigarettes. Sigh. Will do some
cleaning of surfaces, spray some stuff in
the air, and possibly do some upholstery
cleaning.

good luck!

years ago, rented a place that was previously
inhabited by a heavy smoker. i thought it just
needed to be aired out... was i wrong...

aired it out, had the landlord steam clean
the carpets twice. scrubbed the walls (many
buckets of nasty brown water later) used a few
gallons of febreeze after that to try to get the
stench out (rolled it on with a paint roller).
scrubbed and cleaned every other surface, it
still stank.

when i moved out i threw away almost every-
thing, luckily i had most of the good stuff in
storage so i didn't have to get rid of it too,
but i did have to get a new bed.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 7:51:00 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/17/2015 11:59 AM, songbird wrote:
in my car! phew it stinks!

Similar problem, here. Bought a car that
stinks of cigarettes. Sigh. Will do some
cleaning of surfaces, spray some stuff in
the air, and possibly do some upholstery
cleaning.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

I will never buy a car that stinks of tobacco ......

the odor gets into everything and actually makes me ill

i have been tld that a ion generator left running in a empty vehicle can cut the odor.

you need a powerful ion generator, and avoid its output its bad for living things

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2015 7:51 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/17/2015 11:59 AM, songbird wrote:
in my car! phew it stinks!

Similar problem, here. Bought a car that
stinks of cigarettes. Sigh. Will do some
cleaning of surfaces, spray some stuff in
the air, and possibly do some upholstery
cleaning.

Some Simple Green, bucket of hot water,
towel, and some wiping. Much better.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 6:43:00 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
songbird wrote:
[...]

About 40 years ago I moved into my first apartment. My smoker aunt gave me a room sized carpet. I took it and had it professionally cleaned by one of those places that had a machine big enough to clean it, top and bottom, while flat. They would not guarantee that they could get the smell out.

I thought it smelled fine when I brought it home so I laid it out in the living room. When I got home from work the next night I rolled it back up and tossed it in the dumpster. The whole apartment reeked for 3 days, even with all the windows open and fans drawing air in from some windows and blowing out from others.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Go to your computer case. On the back there are lots of wires. Follow
them. If you get to the end of the wire and it's plugged into the wall,
that's the wrong wire. Try again. If you get to your keyboard or monitor
or anything else, that dont appear to be a mouse, it's still the wrong
wire.

Eventually you'll follow the right wire and find the mouse. Just
remember the wire is the mouse's tail. Once you find the dead mouse,
replace it with a new one and your computer will work properly once
again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

it smelled like something died near the front of my garage.

sometime later months had gone by I found a mouse hanging by its tail, tail was stuck between some romex.

I guess he must of fallen got his tail stuck and died that way......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 14:03:28 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

sometime later months had gone by I found a mouse hanging by its tail, tail was stuck between some romex.

I guess he must of fallen got his tail stuck and died that way......

....she should have chewed her tail off and escaped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

it smelled like something died near the front of my garage.

sometime later months had gone by I found a mouse hanging by its tail, tail was stuck between some romex.

I guess he must of fallen got his tail stuck and died that way......

No air coming out from under my fridge. There should be. Rolled the
fridge out from the wall, took off the cardboard cover. In the
little fan, a dead mouse was stuck.

I never smelled anything. The fan wasn't running for at least 2
weeks, but that was 10 years ago and I guess it didn't hurt the
fridge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Your electric bill was probably higher all that time due to less efficient running of the fridge...
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
[...]

Ion generators will make smoke stick to everything. I think that an ozone
generator is one of the better options to get rid of smoke odor. In useful
quantities though, it's not good for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

sometime later months had gone by I found a mouse hanging by its tail, tail was stuck between some romex.

I guess he must of fallen got his tail stuck and died that way......

...she should have chewed her tail off and escaped.

might not have been able since the mouse was hanging upside down
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

sometime later months had gone by I found a mouse hanging by its tail, tail was stuck between some romex.

I guess he must of fallen got his tail stuck and died that way......

...she should have chewed her tail off and escaped.

Easy for you to say.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 13:49:51 -0400, Micky
wrote:

I guess he must of fallen got his tail stuck and died that way......

...she should have chewed her tail off and escaped.

Easy for you to say.

Maybe you missed the story of a man cutting his own limb off to
survive being trapped. Might have been Utah.

We animals can do extraordinary things, even rodents chewing off a leg
to escape a trap.