Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Should I seal the ends of large fir beams?

I have four 16x4 fir beams sticking out of the side of my house. I'm in the
process of "renewing" them, which includes cutting them back a bit. So I end
up with a new end, and I wondered what if anything I should do to seal the
end-grain other than just prime and paint. These beams are out in the sun
and rain, with nothing above them.

I'm using Abatron Liquid Wood and WoodEpox to consolidate and fill in on the
top and sides where there's some rot, so I could use Liquid Wood on the end
grain. That would put a layer of hard epoxy on the end that has soaked into
the grain a bit, and I believe make it impervious to water. And then of
course primer and paint on top of that. That might make for a very long-
lasting surface.

But I'm not sure that's the best thing to do. Maybe wood is supposed to
breathe.

Does anyone here have any experience dealing with this issue? What do you
think?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 12:38:05 -0500, Peabody
wrote:

[...]

I can only say what I did on a 22' lam beam for my patio cover. I
used primer and paint on the end grain where the beam is exposed to
weather elements. Little rain, plenty of sun here in the desert but I
sealed the ends. 10 years looks like the day it was built. Check
acrylic latex paint and primers. YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

The epoxy sounds like an interesting idea. My only
doubt with that is that those products are fairly
new, so it's hard to know whether it will turn out
to provide good protection years later. The products
I've seen say you can paint them, but the surface
is not porous, so paint on top of that is not going
to serve anything other than a cosmetic role. Thus
you'd be depending entirely on the epoxy sealer., and
on no moisture getting in behind it.

I would at least prime them with linseed oil primer.
(Don't use water-base primer. It doesn't soak in.)
Personally I'd be tempted to add some extra linseed
oil to the primer. Current paints are not what they
used to be, and exposed ends was never a good idea
in the first place.

Fir is fairly tough but it will rot if exposed. There's
no reason for it to "breathe". (If you look at hardwood
stock in lumber yards you'll see that much of it is
sealed on the ends with wax, to prevent excessive
moisture uptake, which could cause warping.)

--
-