Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to seal ends of underground conduit ??

Newser wrote:
With some foresight I had put empty 1-1/2" PVC pipe under the driveway and
capped it, in case I ever had to run wire -- and now I do.

My question now is how to reasonably seal the ends of the conduit once I've
run wire into it. It's bury-able wire, but I don't want to leave the ends
of the conduit open and have it fill up at the ends with mud and dirt,
thereby creating a problem if I want to run more wire in the future.

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers ideas or solutions.

Andy writes:
I did the same thing.....

I didn't do any of the things listed here to seal the ends--- I
just crumpled
up some Walmart plastic bags and stuffed them in each end. A couple
years later, when I wanted to add a small water line for a sprinkler
system,
I just dug up a hole around each end and pulled the plastic bags out
and
ran my pipe thru. Then I stuffed the plastic bags back in each end
and
covered them up again...

Another year later, I wanted to add some outdoor lighting.... I
dug
around the ends again, pulled the crumpled plastic out from each end,
and ran my 20-2wg UF wire thru it. Then I stuffed the plastic back
in
each end.....

No point getting exotic about this. All you want to do is keep
the ductway
from filling up with dirt.. My way is simple, cheap, and works
perfectly.

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 19:27:05 -0800 (PST), Andy wrote:
I didn't do any of the things listed here to seal the ends--- I
just crumpled
up some Walmart plastic bags and stuffed them in each end.

No point getting exotic about this. All you want to do is keep
the ductway
from filling up with dirt.. My way is simple, cheap, and works
perfectly.

Yup.

And even if the conduit does fill with dirt, it is not difficult to use
water from a hose to clear out 20-30ft of 1-1/2" pipe.

sdb

--
What's seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com