Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wire For Floor Lamp ?

Hello,

Have to re-wire a floor lamp.

I see that one can purchase #16 gauge wire for it in apparently two flavors.

One, being the conventional rubber coated two conductor wire.

The other being wire with what looks like a pretty tough plastic coating.

Is the plastic "better" and tougher ? A better choice ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 08:05:58 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Have to re-wire a floor lamp.

I see that one can purchase #16 gauge wire for it in apparently two flavors.

One, being the conventional rubber coated two conductor wire.

The other being wire with what looks like a pretty tough plastic coating.

Is the plastic "better" and tougher ? A better choice ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Take a piece of the old wire with you to the hardware store. Lamp
wire is on spools and can be cut to the length you need. Black, white,
gold/bronze or brown colors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/30/2015 07:05 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have to re-wire a floor lamp.

I see that one can purchase #16 gauge wire for it in apparently two
flavors.

One, being the conventional rubber coated two conductor wire.

The other being wire with what looks like a pretty tough plastic coating.

Is the plastic "better" and tougher ? A better choice ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Although the plastic coated wire /might/ be better... the standard cord
should be fine. I have several lamps here with the original 50+ year old
cord...that are still fine.

When you replace the cord you might as well put on a polarized plug and
ensure the lamp switch is on the "hot" side and the bulb tip goes to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 8:06:04 AM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have to re-wire a floor lamp.

I see that one can purchase #16 gauge wire for it in apparently two flavors.

One, being the conventional rubber coated two conductor wire.

The other being wire with what looks like a pretty tough plastic coating.

Is the plastic "better" and tougher ? A better choice ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Did you apply for a permit to rewire this lamp? It may take 2 or more
presentations before the town board or HOA before they'll even consider
voting on this project.

Where will you source the new wire from? Will you be using an approved
vendor? Will 52% of the business be conducted with a minority and/or women
owned business?

How will you dispose of the old wire? Have you completed an environmental
impact study?

Who will perform the actual work? Is that person or persons licensed in
the jurisdiction granting the aforementioned approval? Are they insured for
the maximum possible damage that might occur if something goes terribly
wrong during the rewiring?

Do you carry an umbrella policy to cover yourself for damages not caused
by the contractor but that occurred as a result of this undertaking? Can
you supply proof that the carrier of this policy has the funds to actually
pay the full amount of the coverage?

I think you have a lot of work to do before you go out and buy any wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 08:05:58 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Have to re-wire a floor lamp.

I see that one can purchase #16 gauge wire for it in apparently two flavors.

One, being the conventional rubber coated two conductor wire.

The other being wire with what looks like a pretty tough plastic coating.

Is the plastic "better" and tougher ? A better choice ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

The biggest issue might be what you can actually pull up through the
lamp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 12:31:11 -0400, wrote:

The biggest issue might be what you can actually pull up through the
lamp.

I'm guessing standard lamp wire ought to fit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 12:37:36 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 12:31:11 -0400, wrote:

The biggest issue might be what you can actually pull up through the
lamp.

I'm guessing standard lamp wire ought to fit.

I bought wire that was too thick to thread through once. Can't remember what gauge it was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 7:06:04 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have to re-wire a floor lamp.

I see that one can purchase #16 gauge wire for it in apparently two flavors.

One, being the conventional rubber coated two conductor wire.

The other being wire with what looks like a pretty tough plastic coating.

Is the plastic "better" and tougher ? A better choice ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Take a trip to your local big box store and purchase a pre-made lamp cord. ^_^

http://www.homedepot.com/s/replaceme...0plug?N CNI-5

[8~{} Uncle Lamp Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-10-01 8:31 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 7:06:04 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have to re-wire a floor lamp.

I see that one can purchase #16 gauge wire for it in apparently two flavors.

One, being the conventional rubber coated two conductor wire.

The other being wire with what looks like a pretty tough plastic coating.

Is the plastic "better" and tougher ? A better choice ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Take a trip to your local big box store and purchase a pre-made lamp cord. ^_^

http://www.homedepot.com/s/replaceme...0plug?N CNI-5

If you can't find a premade lamp cord, by an extension cord of the
appropriate gauge cut the female end off and you are done.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-10-01 8:31 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 7:06:04 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have to re-wire a floor lamp.

I see that one can purchase #16 gauge wire for it in apparently two flavors.

One, being the conventional rubber coated two conductor wire.

The other being wire with what looks like a pretty tough plastic coating.

Is the plastic "better" and tougher ? A better choice ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Take a trip to your local big box store and purchase a pre-made lamp cord. ^_^

http://www.homedepot.com/s/replaceme...0plug?N CNI-5

If you can't find a premade lamp cord, by an extension cord of the
appropriate gauge cut the female end off and you are done.
--
Froz...

AHEIEEEEEE! BLASPHEMY! HOW DARE YOU?! O_o

[8~{} Uncle Shocked Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2015 1:51 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 12:28:06 PM UTC-5, FrozenNorth wrote:
If you can't find a premade lamp cord, by an extension cord of the
appropriate gauge cut the female end off and you are done.
--
Froz...

AHEIEEEEEE! BLASPHEMY! HOW DARE YOU?! O_o

[8~{} Uncle Shocked Monster

I'd have gone to Dollar Tree, buy extension cord there
which is lamp cord. Cut the female end off.

I know. Heretic.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 8:06:49 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/1/2015 1:51 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 12:28:06 PM UTC-5, FrozenNorth wrote:
If you can't find a premade lamp cord, by an extension cord of the
appropriate gauge cut the female end off and you are done.
--
Froz...

AHEIEEEEEE! BLASPHEMY! HOW DARE YOU?! O_o

[8~{} Uncle Shocked Monster

I'd have gone to Dollar Tree, buy extension cord there
which is lamp cord. Cut the female end off.

I know. Heretic.
-
.

INFIDEL! I KEEL YOU! _

[8~{} Uncle Cord Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Thanks Derby. I enjoyed your reality check.

John G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 9:06:49 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd have gone to Dollar Tree, buy extension cord there
which is lamp cord. Cut the female end off.

I know. Heretic.

No need to waste a dollar.

There's never been a trash pickup day when there wasn't at least one appliance sitting by the curb.

Pull over, grab the diagonal cutter out of the glovebox, 15 seconds later you've got a free lamp cord.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 13:06:44 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 12:37:36 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 12:31:11 -0400, wrote:

The biggest issue might be what you can actually pull up through the
lamp.

I'm guessing standard lamp wire ought to fit.

I bought wire that was too thick to thread through once. Can't remember what gauge it was.

I'm sure the wire would have fit if you cleaned out the cockroaches
BEFORE trying to feed the wire thru the lamp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 12:37:36 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 12:31:11 -0400, wrote:

The biggest issue might be what you can actually pull up through the
lamp.

I'm guessing standard lamp wire ought to fit.

I bought wire that was too thick to thread through once. Can't remember what gauge it was.

I'm sure the wire would have fit if you cleaned out the cockroaches
BEFORE trying to feed the wire thru the lamp.

Hey, hey, hey, I'm not the one living in a trailer!