Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing Floor Lamp?

It's not the best quality, came in one of those 3-lamp sets, but it is
NEW--maybe a year old and barely used. When I turn it on, nothing happens.
Yes, it is plugged in and I have tested the lightbulbs to make sure it is
not the bulb. I have also tried different outlets.

I don't want to throw this lamp away! What is my first step in finding out
what the problem is?

Posted to alt.home.repair

cybercat wrote:

It's not the best quality, came in one of those 3-lamp sets, but it is
NEW--maybe a year old and barely used. When I turn it on, nothing happens.
Yes, it is plugged in and I have tested the lightbulbs to make sure it is
not the bulb. I have also tried different outlets.

I don't want to throw this lamp away! What is my first step in finding out
what the problem is?

Get yourself a continuity tester (or an ohmmeter) and a little education
about simple electrical circuits.

Then, find the open circuit in the cord, a "loose disconnection"
somewhere or the bad switch or socket that's causing the problem, and
fix or replace it.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote:

Get yourself a continuity tester (or an ohmmeter) and a little education
about simple electrical circuits.

Then, find the open circuit in the cord, a "loose disconnection" somewhere
or the bad switch or socket that's causing the problem, and fix or replace
it.

Okay, to Google I will go. Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote in
om:

It's not the best quality, came in one of those 3-lamp sets, but it is
NEW--maybe a year old and barely used. When I turn it on, nothing
happens. Yes, it is plugged in and I have tested the lightbulbs to
make sure it is not the bulb. I have also tried different outlets.

I don't want to throw this lamp away! What is my first step in finding
out what the problem is?

Make sure the lamp is UNPLUGGED, use your finger nail or some other
implement and slightly pull upwards on the little silver tab inside the
middle of the socket. It's a fairly common cause of lamp sockets not
working. The base of the bulb may not be touching the tab resulting in
your current problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HaLiGoOn" wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote in
om:

Make sure the lamp is UNPLUGGED, use your finger nail or some other
implement and slightly pull upwards on the little silver tab inside the
middle of the socket. It's a fairly common cause of lamp sockets not
working. The base of the bulb may not be touching the tab resulting in
your current problem.

Hey good Idea!

If you do have to replace the cord or the socket, make sure the Hot wire is
wired to the screw that goes to the center contact. Also make sure the plug
has one wide and one narrow prong, so it can only be plugged in one way.
It WILL work fine either way, but you don't want the side "shell" where the
bulb screws into to be hot,in case you would be grounded and also contact
the side "shell" say when changing a bulb.
Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HaLiGoOn" wrote:

Make sure the lamp is UNPLUGGED, use your finger nail or some other
implement and slightly pull upwards on the little silver tab inside the
middle of the socket. It's a fairly common cause of lamp sockets not
working. The base of the bulb may not be touching the tab resulting in
your current problem.

This is good to know, thank you! I tried it, but in this case, it is not the
problem.