Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Check Your Emissions Warranty Prior to Paying for Repairs at anIndependent Shop

I got my DMV registration renewal in the mail and was going to take the
vehicle to a smog check station. I always scan the codes via the OBD-II
port first. One oxygen sensor was throwing a code, and there was one
other code.

I thought I was in for a costly repair, then the VW scandal made me look
at the warranty booklet. Emissions equipment is guaranteed for 15 years
or 150K miles. Anything needed to pass a smog check is included. This is
for California, YMMV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2015 12:09 PM, sms wrote:
I got my DMV registration renewal in the mail and was going to take the vehicle
to a smog check station. I always scan the codes via the OBD-II port first. One
oxygen sensor was throwing a code, and there was one other code.

I thought I was in for a costly repair, then the VW scandal made me look at the
warranty booklet. Emissions equipment is guaranteed for 15 years or 150K miles.
Anything needed to pass a smog check is included. This is for California, YMMV.

The same is often true of certain safety equipment (e.g., airbags, seat belts,
etc.) Reading the paperwork that came with your vehicle (OhMiGosh!) is
usually worth the time and effort, regardless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

sms wrote:
I got my DMV registration renewal in the mail and was going to take the
vehicle to a smog check station. I always scan the codes via the OBD-II
port first. One oxygen sensor was throwing a code, and there was one
other code.

I thought I was in for a costly repair, then the VW scandal made me look
at the warranty booklet. Emissions equipment is guaranteed for 15 years
or 150K miles. Anything needed to pass a smog check is included. This is
for California, YMMV.

Is it VW vehicle? I always peruse thru owner's manual when I purchase
new vehicle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2015 5:47 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I thought I was in for a costly repair, then the VW scandal made me look
at the warranty booklet. Emissions equipment is guaranteed for 15 years
or 150K miles. Anything needed to pass a smog check is included. This is
for California, YMMV.

Is it VW vehicle? I always peruse thru owner's manual when I purchase
new vehicle.

I do, but I look at it again three months later and find a little useful
thing missed the first time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 24, 2015 at 10:00:27 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/24/2015 5:47 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I thought I was in for a costly repair, then the VW scandal made me look
at the warranty booklet. Emissions equipment is guaranteed for 15 years
or 150K miles. Anything needed to pass a smog check is included. This is
for California, YMMV.

Is it VW vehicle? I always peruse thru owner's manual when I purchase
new vehicle.

I do, but I look at it again three months later and find a little useful
thing missed the first time.

We bought a used Honda Civic for my college aged daughter. When we dropped
it off at her apartment last weekend I handed her the owner's manual and
advised her to read it, cover to cover.

Tuesday night she texted me, concerned about a blinking red light on the
dash board. I replied with "Page 57".

Maybe she'll take the hint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 12:29:13 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 9/24/2015 12:09 PM, sms wrote:
I got my DMV registration renewal in the mail and was going to take the vehicle
to a smog check station. I always scan the codes via the OBD-II port first. One
oxygen sensor was throwing a code, and there was one other code.

I thought I was in for a costly repair, then the VW scandal made me look at the
warranty booklet. Emissions equipment is guaranteed for 15 years or 150K miles.
Anything needed to pass a smog check is included. This is for California, YMMV.

The same is often true of certain safety equipment (e.g., airbags, seat belts,
etc.) Reading the paperwork that came with your vehicle (OhMiGosh!) is
usually worth the time and effort, regardless.

not sure what the current law might say but buried in the owners
manual for my 92 Ford Explorer was an item regarding the PCV valve.
Seems that it was a covered item for replacement at no cost at 60,000
miles. But the fine print said you had to get to the dealer no more
then 200 miles before or after the 60K point. 23 years later and I
still have the original valve since I didn't see the fine print till I
was several hundred miles past 60K.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/24/2015 12:09 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

It's an inexpensive part. We used to just clean it periodically
and stuff it right back in place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 24, 2015 at 12:09:20 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
I got my DMV registration renewal in the mail and was going to take the
vehicle to a smog check station. I always scan the codes via the OBD-II
port first. One oxygen sensor was throwing a code, and there was one
other code.

I thought I was in for a costly repair, then the VW scandal made me look
at the warranty booklet. Emissions equipment is guaranteed for 15 years
or 150K miles. Anything needed to pass a smog check is included. This is
for California, YMMV.

Even though you fix the problem and erase the code, the smog station's computer hook-up may detect it and fail ya. There's a specific method of driving that will re-learn you car's ECM. Don't listen when the guy tells ya to just go drive it 200 miles and come back. I have a print-out somewhere of the procedure
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 13:15:05 -0700 (PDT), Shade Tree Guy
wrote:

[...]

All they will detect, as I understand it, is that some of the "test
cycles" have not yet run. You clear the codes and then the car has to
be driven so that the computer can run the periodic self-tests. That
can take quite a few miles for some of them because it may require
that the car was started from dead cold, then run for at least 20
minutes, and a few more things before it will do the self-test and
fill in the "box" saying "test completed". Last time I went thru this
and looked up the rules they allowed you to have one or two of the
self-tests missing but more then that and you "failed", not because of
any past fails but because there was no record of the self-test having
yet been run.