Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Check Your Emissions Warranty Prior to Paying for Repairs atan Independent Shop

On 9/24/2015 12:09 PM, sms wrote:
I got my DMV registration renewal in the mail and was going to take the vehicle
to a smog check station. I always scan the codes via the OBD-II port first. One
oxygen sensor was throwing a code, and there was one other code.

I thought I was in for a costly repair, then the VW scandal made me look at the
warranty booklet. Emissions equipment is guaranteed for 15 years or 150K miles.
Anything needed to pass a smog check is included. This is for California, YMMV.

The same is often true of certain safety equipment (e.g., airbags, seat belts,
etc.) Reading the paperwork that came with your vehicle (OhMiGosh!) is
usually worth the time and effort, regardless.