Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Temp faucet repair

Dual o-ring bathroom faucet

Disassembled.
Wiped dry then wrapped Teflon tape around the stem.
Reassembled and no leak.

Will need to pick up some 1/2" o-rings next time I go near the plumbing
supply...but maybe this will hold up for a while?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 4:12:46 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
Dual o-ring bathroom faucet

Disassembled.
Wiped dry then wrapped Teflon tape around the stem.
Reassembled and no leak.

Will need to pick up some 1/2" o-rings next time I go near the plumbing
supply...but maybe this will hold up for a while?

When you get your new O-rings, get a small tube of plumbers grease to lubricate the O-rings. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle O Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not knowing what kind of faucet that is, this guess may be way off.

But is there packing in that one? You may have replaced some missing packing and your O-rings are fine. Packing comes in little graphite impregnated strings; if that's what happened you'd want to eventually replace the teflon with the right stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/23/2015 07:08 AM, TimR wrote:
Not knowing what kind of faucet that is, this guess may be way off.

But is there packing in that one? You may have replaced some missing packing and your O-rings are fine. Packing comes in little graphite impregnated strings; if that's what happened you'd want to eventually replace the teflon with the right stuff.

Ok thanks ...it was a snug fit so maybe they are OK
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 7:08:22 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
Not knowing what kind of faucet that is, this guess may be way off.

But is there packing in that one? You may have replaced some missing packing and your O-rings are fine. Packing comes in little graphite impregnated strings; if that's what happened you'd want to eventually replace the teflon with the right stuff.

I switched to Teflon cord valve packing years ago. It's like Teflon tape rolled into a string. I've also used it to replace rubber washer valve stem seals. It forms a very good seal when the gland nut is tightened. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Teflon Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2015 5:12 AM, philo wrote:
Dual o-ring bathroom faucet

Disassembled.
Wiped dry then wrapped Teflon tape around the stem.
Reassembled and no leak.

Will need to pick up some 1/2" o-rings next time I go near the plumbing
supply...but maybe this will hold up for a while?

What was the customer's original complaint?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2015 7:26 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

When you get your new O-rings, get a small tube of plumbers grease to lubricate the O-rings. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle O Monster

I like silicone plumbers grease. Expensive,
but seems to work nicely.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/23/2015 08:51 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 7:08:22 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
Not knowing what kind of faucet that is, this guess may be way off.

But is there packing in that one? You may have replaced some missing packing and your O-rings are fine. Packing comes in little graphite impregnated strings; if that's what happened you'd want to eventually replace the teflon with the right stuff.

I switched to Teflon cord valve packing years ago. It's like Teflon tape rolled into a string. I've also used it to replace rubber washer valve stem seals. It forms a very good seal when the gland nut is tightened. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Teflon Monster

Since it is no longer leaking I'm just going to leave well enough alone
for now
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 5:12:46 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:
Dual o-ring bathroom faucet

Disassembled.
Wiped dry then wrapped Teflon tape around the stem.
Reassembled and no leak.

Will need to pick up some 1/2" o-rings next time I go near the plumbing
supply...but maybe this will hold up for a while?

It's only temporary...unless it works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 08:24:11 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

As I've said numerous times:

It's only temporary...unless it works.

I forgot your exact quote from before. So I tried to paraphrase in my
ice maker fix thread

Posted to alt.home.repair

As I've said numerous times:

It's only temporary...unless it works.

A local mechanic claims there is nothing more permanent
than temporary. Your version is better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As I've said numerous times:

It's only temporary...unless it works.

A local mechanic claims there is nothing more permanent
than temporary. Your version is better.

When spoken, you have to use the "..." pause for effect.

You let the "It's only temporary" sink in for a second, then bring the hammer down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

As I've said numerous times:

It's only temporary...unless it works.

A local mechanic claims there is nothing more permanent
than temporary. Your version is better.

Everything is temporary...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 11:50:56 -0500, philo wrote:

Everything is temporary...

...."unless it works"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 04:12:40 -0500, philo wrote:

Dual o-ring bathroom faucet

Disassembled.
Wiped dry then wrapped Teflon tape around the stem.
Reassembled and no leak.

Will need to pick up some 1/2" o-rings next time I go near the plumbing
supply...but maybe this will hold up for a while?

I got tired of chasing O rings after a disappointing experience with
my air hose reels (is it SAE or metric etc)
I bought a metric and SAE assortment (2 kits) from Harbor Fright that
has a good selection of both.
Posted to alt.home.repair

As I've said numerous times:

It's only temporary...unless it works.

A local mechanic claims there is nothing more permanent
than temporary. Your version is better.

Everything is temporary...

Our existence is temporary and our lives fleeting. Unless we're pickled. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Live Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2015 10:45 AM, philo wrote:

Since it is no longer leaking I'm just going to leave well enough alone
for now

That is wisdom.

I may have missed it, but what was the
original complaint?