Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Coating for headphone ear pads?

I have some old Technics headphones for which replacement pads are no
longer sold. They work fine, but the leather-look coating has mostly
flaked off the fabric covering the ear pads, leaving it likely to soak
up perspiration and get smelly.

Has anyone found an acceptable way of re coating such things? Rustoleum
Vinyl spray paint?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 10:15:56 AM UTC-5, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
I have some old Technics headphones for which replacement pads are no
longer sold. They work fine, but the leather-look coating has mostly
flaked off the fabric covering the ear pads, leaving it likely to soak
up perspiration and get smelly.

Has anyone found an acceptable way of re coating such things? Rustoleum
Vinyl spray paint?

Perce

I recently wore out my recording studio type headphones so instead of trying to fix them, I purchased a few different headphones from Amazon. I got the Amazon Basics branded wired headphones which are surprisingly well made and comfortable and I bought the SoundBot branded Bluetooth headset which is well made and works very well. I'm considering the AmazonBasics Premium headphones with inline microphone. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NBEWB4U

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBNG10C

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q3OHI4I

[8~{} Uncle Head Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/17/2015 11:15 AM, I wrote:

I have some old Technics headphones for which replacement pads are no
longer sold. They work fine, but the leather-look coating has mostly
flaked off the fabric covering the ear pads, leaving it likely to soak
up perspiration and get smelly.

Has anyone found an acceptable way of re coating such things? Rustoleum
Vinyl spray paint?

I tried the Rustoleum Vinyl spray paint on one pad, but it made the pad
much harder. I couldn't find online any pads of the same design that
looked like they would be a good fit, so I've ordered some that are
designed for Audio Technica headphones but have an adhesive backing and
should be able to be attached in place of the original ones. They're
coming from China (doesn't everything these days? -- but I mean that
they are coming directly from China by mail), so it will be a while
before they arrive.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:15:52 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

I have some old Technics headphones for which replacement pads are no
longer sold. They work fine, but the leather-look coating has mostly
flaked off the fabric covering the ear pads, leaving it likely to soak
up perspiration and get smelly.

Has anyone found an acceptable way of re coating such things? Rustoleum
Vinyl spray paint?

Perce

Another possibility is spray on Plasti-dip. Might be to rigid though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Sep 2015, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I have some old Technics headphones for which replacement pads are
no longer sold. They work fine, but the leather-look coating has
mostly flaked off the fabric covering the ear pads, leaving it
likely to soak up perspiration and get smelly.

Has anyone found an acceptable way of re coating such things?
Rustoleum Vinyl spray paint?

Are you sure that pads aren't sold? I've replaced the pads on several
old headphones with generic ones bought on eBay, Amazon, and elsewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/26/2015 04:30 PM, Nil wrote:

I have some old Technics headphones for which replacement pads are
no longer sold. They work fine, but the leather-look coating has
mostly flaked off the fabric covering the ear pads, leaving it
likely to soak up perspiration and get smelly.

Has anyone found an acceptable way of re coating such things?
Rustoleum Vinyl spray paint?

Are you sure that pads aren't sold? I've replaced the pads on several
old headphones with generic ones bought on eBay, Amazon, and elsewhere.

Generic foam ear pads are certainly sold, but I haven't seen any that
are big enough to fit over these earpieces, which pretty much engulf the
whole ear. The original pads have a "rib" on the back that fits into a
groove that runs around the whole earpiece; many headphones have such an
arrangement, but I couldn't find any the right size for mine.

I do recall that 30+ years ago, "National Panasonic" (as it was known in
Australia, and "Technics" being a division of Panasonic) announced that
they would not be making parts for devices more than 10 years old.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Sep 2015, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Generic foam ear pads are certainly sold, but I haven't seen any
that are big enough to fit over these earpieces, which pretty much
engulf the whole ear.

OK, if you say so. I see many replacement pads for various models of
Technics headphones.

Headphone socket Manticore UK diy 7 February 14th 11 10:34 AM
headphone with sensor pro Electronics Repair 0 April 2nd 09 10:23 AM
Headphone Ports Darren Teaford Electronics Repair 1 December 11th 05 11:41 PM
No tv headphone sound David Sewell Electronics Repair 2 April 21st 05 10:42 PM
headphone out to line-in Legend Electronics 8 July 3rd 04 11:28 AM