Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small, constant basement leak pipe

I found a dripping leak in the drain down the basement from my kitchen at the nut connection. I suspect a plumber most likely suggest replacing the entire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a slow, constant leak at that area. Is there something I can do to stop it from leaking? I would take a picture of it but i am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not knowing sizes of pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nut. Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 2:21:35 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/11/2015 2:15 PM, Frank wrote:
I found a dripping leak in the drain down the basement from my kitchen at the nut connection. I suspect a plumber most likely suggest replacing the entire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a slow, constant leak at that area. Is there something I can do to stop it from leaking? I would take a picture of it but i am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not knowing sizes of pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nut. Thanks

Given the size, are you talking about a drain pipe? If so, take it
apart and get a new washer at the hardware store. Another option is to
just try tightening it to see if that takes care of it.

Not clear what kind of connection this "nut" even is. It doesn't
sound like the typical slip joint fitting under a sink at the P trap
because he says it's in the basement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
I found a dripping leak in the drain down the basement from my kitchen at
the nut connection. I suspect a plumber most likely suggest replacing the
entire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a slow, constant leak at
that area. Is there something I can do to stop it from leaking? I would take
a picture of it but i am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not knowing
sizes of pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nut.
Thanks

You could just wrap it with self-vulcanizing rubber tape till
you get a chance to do it right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 11:15:40 -0700 (PDT), Frank
wrote:

I found a dripping leak in the drain down the basement from my kitchen at the nut connection. I suspect a plumber most likely suggest replacing the entire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a slow, constant leak at that area. Is there something I can do to stop it from leaking? I would take a picture of it but i am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not knowing sizes of pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nut. Thanks

Hard to tell in Brooklyn New York. Nobody knows the composition of the
pipe or if a union/coupling is leaking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski writes:

On 9/11/2015 2:15 PM, Frank wrote:
I found a dripping leak in the drain down the basement from my
kitchen at the nut connection. I suspect a plumber most likely
suggest replacing the entire pipe, which would put me in a bind,
just for a slow, constant leak at that area. Is there something I
can do to stop it from leaking? I would take a picture of it but i
am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not knowing sizes of
pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2"
nut. Thanks

Given the size, are you talking about a drain pipe? If so, take it
apart and get a new washer at the hardware store. Another option is
to just try tightening it to see if that takes care of it.

Yep, try to tighten first.

But don't do anything in the middle of the night.
Wait until you can run out to the hardware store if needed.
Sometimes you just touch a problem and it gets worse and then it really
needs to be fixed.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/11/2015 01:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/11/2015 2:15 PM, Frank wrote:
I found a dripping leak in the drain down the basement from my kitchen
at the nut connection. I suspect a plumber most likely suggest
replacing the entire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a
slow, constant leak at that area. Is there something I can do to stop
it from leaking? I would take a picture of it but i am waiting for my
nephew with his camera. Not knowing sizes of pipes, but to me it looks
like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nut. Thanks

Given the size, are you talking about a drain pipe? If so, take it
apart and get a new washer at the hardware store. Another option is to
just try tightening it to see if that takes care of it.

yep.

I had one that leaked and I fixed it by putting RTV around it.

One day I decided to do things right...figured the washer might have
been mis-seated.

Took it apart and there was no washer at all...
when I added one...no leak ever again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 13:52:02 -0500, philo
wrote:

[...]

I read this as, there was no water at all.

No wonder it wasn't leaking anymore, I thought.

when I added one...no leak ever again.

Well of course. No water.

--

Stumpy Strumpet
the bimbus
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 11:15:40 -0700 (PDT), Frank
wrote:

I found a dripping leak in the drain down the basement from my kitchen at the nut connection. I suspect a plumber most likely suggest replacing the entire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a slow, constant leak at that area. Is there something I can do to stop it from leaking? I would take a picture of it but i am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not knowing sizes of pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nut. Thanks

Metal or plastic.

If you can't fix it the right way, described by others, and it's metal,
use PC-70. You can put it on while it's dripping and it will still
harden and stop the drip. But while it's hardening, it can sag and you
have to keep pushing whatever sags back where it was. This took abou
10 minutes. Use enough to go all around the pipe and be an inch wide
and 1/4 to 1/2" thick. Buy the pair of 4 oz cans. It lasts more than
20 years if you make sure none of part A ever touches the stuff in the
part B can, and vice versa. I use two popsicle sticks or two
screwddrivers, and I mix it on a glossy piece of cardboard, so I can
throw that away. Like frozen vegetables come packaged in. it washes
right up before it hardens, so you can clean off the screwdrivers and
your hands easily. . if you want smooth, lick your finger and wipe it
smooth. Oh yeah, it tastes terrible, That's why God gave you 10
fingers.

It's strong so if this leak is at a joint where you might want to take
it appart, bear iln mind that it may be hard to break off.

--

Stumpy Strumpet
the bimbus
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 2:15:44 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
I found a dripping leak in the drain down the basement from my kitchen at the nut connection. I suspect a plumber most likely suggest replacing the entire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a slow, constant leak at that area. Is there something I can do to stop it from leaking? I would take a picture of it but i am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not knowing sizes of pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nut. Thanks

[/url]
This is the problem i am the OP i hope this forum accepts photos..otherwise i do not know how to include a pic here and search did not help

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 2:15:44 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
I found a dripping leak in the drain down the basement from my kitchen at the nut connection. I suspect a plumber most likely suggest replacing the entire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a slow, constant leak at that area. Is there something I can do to stop it from leaking? I would take a picture of it but i am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not knowing sizes of pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nut. Thanks

[/url]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:10:18 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Link made easy:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w120/Boothbay_bucket/P1010003%20Mobile_1.jpg

That joint is a union, not the typical drain found under the sink.
Trying a simple fix can cause some problems, but there are simple work
arounds. The joint look like it is rather corroded and the pipe can
break or get worse just replacing it.

It was suggested to use a sealer. That may work and be all you ever
need. If that does not work . .

Is the pipe supported if you were to cut it? You can cut out the union
and cut the pipe back a bit. Get a section of pipe a but shorter than
the gap and splice it in using Fernco couplers, You slip then onto the
pipe and the once the middle is in place you slip half over the joining
pipe and tighten the clamps.

+1 on the Fernco.

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexible-couplings
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message

I found a dripping leak in the drain down the basement from my kitchen at
the nut connection. I suspect a plumber most likely suggest replacing the
entire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a slow, constant leak at
that area. Is there something I can do to stop it from leaking? I would take
a picture of it but i am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not knowing
sizes of pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nut.
Thanks

Frank? Some folks say yer the nexus of the so-called Nut Connection.
What about that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 12 Sep 2015 06:45:47 -0700 (PDT), Frank
wrote:

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 2:15:44 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
I found a dripping leak in the drain down the basement from my kitchen at the nut connection. I suspect a plumber most likely suggest replacing the entire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a slow, constant leak at that area. Is there something I can do to stop it from leaking? I would take a picture of it but i am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not knowing sizes of pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nut. Thanks

http://s174.photobucket.com/user/Boo...ile_1.jpg.html
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...20Mobile_1.jpg[

images are a log easier to read without the html tags on them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 2:15:44 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
I found a dripping leak in the drain down the basement from my kitchen at the nut connection. I suspect a plumber most likely suggest replacing the entire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a slow, constant leak at that area. Is there something I can do to stop it from leaking? I would take a picture of it but i am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not knowing sizes of pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nut. Thanks

http://s174.photobucket.com/user/Boo...ile_1.jpg.html
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...20Mobile_1.jpg[

images are a log easier to read without the html tags on them.

Image is what i copied..don't know why both showed up and BTW, that was not the edited version I thought i sent. I turned the pic which is horizontal, not upright as shown. Don't know how much or how little of water drops unless i stand there all day..i assume whenever i use the kitchen sink and the water drains that is when it happens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 10:38:20 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

ED Pawlowski ...thanks..i had no idea my pic showed, so i took a chance. Home repair does not show how to include a picture so i took a chance. Could you tell me how u viewed the picture. I see by the url i included, it involved 2 copies...aside from that i did use Rustoleum sealer this morning and could only get at the bottom and front of that unio/pipe. Maybe i will do it double after the first one dries. I guess i will have to get a tool to cut that pipe...any suggestions?

The bad news is that's an old galvanized pipe and when it starts leaking
like that it's usually a sign that the pipe is deteriorating, ie it's
probably not just an isolated leak at a joint, but it could be. I agree
with Ed, I'd try to seal it, probably with an epoxy product and that
may buy you some time, years maybe. If that doesn't work, I agree with
cutting it out. But I wouldn't be surprised that you'll find that there
isn't much left of the rest of the pipe either. In which case you'll have
to work back to where something is solid and then replace the cut out part
with PVC or ABS and use Ferncos.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 2:15:44 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
I found a dripping leak in the drain down the basement from my kitchen at the nut connection. I suspect a plumber most likely suggest replacing the entire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a slow, constant leak at that area. Is there something I can do to stop it from leaking? I would take a picture of it but i am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not knowing sizes of pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nut. Thanks

http://s174.photobucket.com/user/Boo...ile_1.jpg.html
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...20Mobile_1.jpg[

images are a log easier to read without the html tags on them.

NASTY galvanized pipe. You need to be carefull any time you hit,
move, or shake old galvanized water or drain pipe.
If the pipe is still solid, and well supported, you COULD try
disconnecting the union, removing the union from the pipe, and
replacing just the union with a new one - using good pipe dope on the
threads - not tape. - but I "strongly supect" going this route will
break a pipe somewhere - giving you the incentive and opportunity to
replace the galvanized drain with PVC.