Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Quartz counter material finishing?

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
I was given a butt load of "granite" and it turned out to be "quartz"
(a buzz word for a manufactured stone in a matrix of something)
product.
I have a bit of experience and the tools to work granite but I don't
know if it works on this stuff. I really do not want to clog my
diamond pads with plastic if that is an issue. Reading on the interweb
has been pretty discouraging so far.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 14:32:57 -0400, "dadiOH"

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
I was given a butt load of "granite" and it turned out to be "quartz"
(a buzz word for a manufactured stone in a matrix of something)
product.
I have a bit of experience and the tools to work granite but I don't
know if it works on this stuff. I really do not want to clog my
diamond pads with plastic if that is an issue. Reading on the interweb
has been pretty discouraging so far.

The binder is acrylic; how much mineral content is bound by the same is a
mysyery as is their type...could be anything from calcite (soft) to quartz
(hard) or maybe even corundum (still harder). Try wet or dry paper.

If it just needs a polish, try on orbital buffer pad? _How It's Made_
had an episode on the top finishing - buffed out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 12:21:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 14:32:57 -0400, "dadiOH"

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
I was given a butt load of "granite" and it turned out to be "quartz"
(a buzz word for a manufactured stone in a matrix of something)
product.
I have a bit of experience and the tools to work granite but I don't
know if it works on this stuff. I really do not want to clog my
diamond pads with plastic if that is an issue. Reading on the interweb
has been pretty discouraging so far.

The binder is acrylic; how much mineral content is bound by the same is a
mysyery as is their type...could be anything from calcite (soft) to quartz
(hard) or maybe even corundum (still harder). Try wet or dry paper.

If it just needs a polish, try on orbital buffer pad? _How It's Made_
had an episode on the top finishing - buffed out.

I did hit a cut edge with an 800 grit diamond pad and it got smooth
but not shiny. Licking my finger and wiping it made it shine ... until
it dried. I am going to look into that polish. I heard about it
somewhere else too. It seems to be a special product and I hope I can
get some without having to buy a 55 gallon drum of it ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You can, I have a couple of 8 oz. bottles out in my shop. Look for polishing
compound for plastic. It is very fine corundum (1000-10000 and more) in a
vehicle. You do NOT have to work up though sucessively finer grits to get a
shine as it will shine whatever is there, minute rough edges and all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Go to a place that sells automotive finishes and get some 3M Finesse-it .
Use it with a terry buff on a soft pad , you can get a *VERY* nice polish
with this stuff . I used it on a motorcycle (urethane clear coat) , after
stepping 600/1000.1500/2000 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper . Finish looked like
you could fall in and drown .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 07:11:33 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

[...]

Thanks guys. That is exactly what I needed to know.

Counter tops what material? S. Barker Home Repair 49 March 26th 08 11:19 PM
Counter top material Rudy Woodworking 20 July 14th 06 07:15 PM
Counter top material Robatoy Woodworking 0 July 14th 06 07:07 PM
quartz vs granite counter tops [email protected] Home Repair 30 October 19th 05 04:00 AM
Finishing birch counter top Elling Woodworking 2 November 26th 04 05:36 PM