Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Quartz counter material finishing?

wrote:
On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 12:21:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 14:32:57 -0400, "dadiOH"

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
I was given a butt load of "granite" and it turned out to be
"quartz" (a buzz word for a manufactured stone in a matrix of
something) product.
I have a bit of experience and the tools to work granite but I
don't know if it works on this stuff. I really do not want to clog
my diamond pads with plastic if that is an issue. Reading on the
interweb has been pretty discouraging so far.

The binder is acrylic; how much mineral content is bound by the
same is a mysyery as is their type...could be anything from calcite
(soft) to quartz (hard) or maybe even corundum (still harder). Try
wet or dry paper.

If it just needs a polish, try on orbital buffer pad? _How It's Made_
had an episode on the top finishing - buffed out.

I did hit a cut edge with an 800 grit diamond pad and it got smooth
but not shiny. Licking my finger and wiping it made it shine ... until
it dried. I am going to look into that polish. I heard about it
somewhere else too. It seems to be a special product and I hope I can
get some without having to buy a 55 gallon drum of it ;-)

Go to a place that sells automotive finishes and get some 3M Finesse-it .
Use it with a terry buff on a soft pad , you can get a *VERY* nice polish
with this stuff . I used it on a motorcycle (urethane clear coat) , after
stepping 600/1000.1500/2000 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper . Finish looked like
you could fall in and drown .

--
Snag