Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default England and Ireland Need U.S. Plumbers

I spent 18 days in England and Ireland. The plumbing is something from
the 19th century or earlier.

Someone needs to inform the English plumbers that there's a way to have
sink with hot and cold water but only one spout as they are unfamiliar
with single spouts with integrated mixing valves, either with a single
handle or with separate hot and cold handles.

Actually in Ireland I saw a sink that had been retrofitted with a single
spout with a single handle with a cover placed in the hole where the
other spout used to be, so at least one person figured it out.

At one place we stayed I wrote up a set of instructions for flushing the
toilet:

1. Remove tank lid
2. Hold blue piece "A" into white tube in center of tank with left hand
3. Move the flush handle up and down until it flushes (may take up to 20
handles moves before it flushes).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 13:55:48 -0700, sms
wrote:

[...]

Is it still like that? I noticed that back in the 70's but I'd have
thought most of those sinks and fixtures would have been replaced by
now with something a bit newer with a proper mixing valve. Maybe it's
partly because so many euro places had those little point of use
instant hot water heaters and they simply didn't want people turning
on the hot water tap and figured by keeping the hot and cold separate
and not mixable people just would mostly not use hot water.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

wrote:

[...]

It's still like that, and someone I know said that even new
installations often use the two separate faucets.

I was trying to think of a plausible reason for this. Yours may be one
answer. The other thing I thought of is that many of these sinks don't
extend far from the wall so two diagonally placed faucets are more
practical than one that extends straight out in the middle. The one I
saw that was retrofitted with a single faucet might be annoying to some
users as well.

I took some photos of them: http://oi59.tinypic.com/3304cx2.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/08/2015 02:55 PM, sms wrote:
Someone needs to inform the English plumbers that there's a way to have
sink with hot and cold water but only one spout as they are unfamiliar
with single spouts with integrated mixing valves, either with a single
handle or with separate hot and cold handles.

At least they probably label them correctly. Nothing like being faced
with knobs marked C and F and choosing wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/08/2015 03:55 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

I'd be curious about the toilets in Germany.

When I was stationed there in the 70's the toilet bowl had no water in
it and your "business" would land on a flat slab, which when flushed (a
few times) would wash things down.

I figured someone could have gotten very wealthy selling them
American-style toilets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo" wrote in message

I'd be curious about the toilets in Germany.

When I was stationed there in the 70's the toilet bowl had no water in it
and your "business" would land on a flat slab, which when flushed (a few
times) would wash things down.

I figured someone could have gotten very wealthy selling them
American-style toilets.

This may be a significant cultural difference. Americans rarely
want to inspect their product i.e. would rather flush it unseen,
but the older European tradition was that your poo could provide
valuable information about health.

The display toilet described above is still the norm in Germany/
Denmark/Netherlands (I think.) My brother in law's flushes clean
first time (but then he was in the building trades.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/09/2015 08:49 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
"philo" wrote in message

I'd be curious about the toilets in Germany.

When I was stationed there in the 70's the toilet bowl had no water in it
and your "business" would land on a flat slab, which when flushed (a few
times) would wash things down.

I figured someone could have gotten very wealthy selling them
American-style toilets.

This may be a significant cultural difference. Americans rarely
want to inspect their product i.e. would rather flush it unseen,
but the older European tradition was that your poo could provide
valuable information about health.

The display toilet described above is still the norm in Germany/
Denmark/Netherlands (I think.) My brother in law's flushes clean
first time (but then he was in the building trades.)

I read a book, I think it was Carl Hiaasen who wrote a book taking place
on a tropical island and the natives went down to the beach each morning
to take a dump and inspect each other's waste...to see if they were OK.
The tides would then wash is all away.

For those who like to inspect, you can still do so if the stuff is under
water...it's just not as smelly I guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo posted for all of us...

I read a book, I think it was Carl Hiaasen who wrote a book taking place
on a tropical island and the natives went down to the beach each morning
to take a dump and inspect each other's waste...to see if they were OK.
The tides would then wash is all away

And it would end up at the New Jersey shore.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo" wrote in message

[...]

Years ago, at a hotel in Austria, we stayed a a place that had a toilet
with a shelf in the bowl above the water line where your dump would sit
high and dry until flushed. Not only that, the toilet was in the same
enclosure as the shower and if you took a shower the toilet would get
all wet. Think I have a picture of it somewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo" wrote in message

[...]

You can always use a bedpan or bedside commode. I learned something during my stays in the hospital and nursing homes, a bedpan will hold 10 pounds. (~_^)

[8~{} Uncle Stinky Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank posted for all of us...

Years ago, at a hotel in Austria, we stayed a a place that had a toilet
with a shelf in the bowl above the water line where your dump would sit
high and dry until flushed. Not only that, the toilet was in the same
enclosure as the shower and if you took a shower the toilet would get
all wet. Think I have a picture of it somewhere.

If it's after use don't post it. I've already been scarred for life.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*