Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Email attachments

J Burns wrote:
On 8/3/15 3:03 PM, Meanie wrote:
I need to send a larger file via email and cannot use the likes of
Dropbox. I am considering an online email service which will do it for
free, but the attachment is sensitive material and I want to ensure a
successful transmission.

Anyone use such a service and can offer a recommendation?

Thanks

---

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...iles-for-free/

I've used FTP years ago, when size restrictions on email were tight.

Nowadays, people use cloud services like Google Drive. OS X comes with 5
GB of cloud availability, but I've never looked into it because I haven't
had anything big to send.

I still upload files into my paid server. It's unlimited. People could have
also used their comcast web space, but they are taking that away soon. FTP
works fine for me but some don't bother. I am Leary of using any cloud or
google.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/15 12:33 AM, gregz wrote:

I still upload files into my paid server. It's unlimited. People could have
also used their comcast web space, but they are taking that away soon. FTP
works fine for me but some don't bother. I am Leary of using any cloud or
google.

Greg

I think the usual appeal of iCloud is synching between devices such as a
desktop, a laptop, a tablet, etc. Grab your tablet and fly to a meeting,
and all your stuff is available.

I have only a desktop. I didn't put anything in the cloud, and I
switched it off, but OS X keeps contacting it. I don't like that. I
assume they aren't taking data without authorization, but it's overhead
on my CPU and my internet connection.

I believe I have exceeded my ISP's email size limit when I tried to send
a video file. I converted it to MP4, which compressed it more than other
formats; so I didn't have to split it. If I were going to send several
emails with pieces of a file, I guess I'd check with the recipient first.

A relative uses email to distribute photo collections that may be 10MB.
The size will go, but her recipient list is too long for her provider.
Some never get her mail, and she doesn't know.