Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Mob mentality, herd instinct

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ptq8x54 talks about the herd instinct in us
being worse online. The speaker cites at least one study from a school on
the
east side of the huge puddle.
The video is a bit over four and a half minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 6:57 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ptq8x54 talks about the herd instinct in us
being worse online. The speaker cites at least one study from a school
on the
east side of the huge puddle.
The video is a bit over four and a half minutes.

OMG!!! This is awesome and so on the money.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/15 7:57 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ptq8x54 talks about the herd instinct in us
being worse online. The speaker cites at least one study from a school
on the
east side of the huge puddle.
The video is a bit over four and a half minutes.

When a niece was a kid, her parents would often ignore her contributions
to conversations. I might be sitting like a fly on the wall, but I'd
often pop in to respond. It was as much to goad them as to include her.

Now she's 35. For years, I've noticed that if I make a remark at a
gathering, she'll be the first to respond. When she responds, the whole
group will respond enthusiastically. I realize that if she hadn't been
there, it would have gone over like a lead balloon.

For a herd, not responding to a remark is a political matter and a way
the herd dominates individuals. Individuals eager for acceptance
concentrate on the banal because that's what the herd likes, just as
cattle like to chew their cud. My niece makes a much better boss than
Bruce Springsteen!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/15 7:57 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ptq8x54 talks about the herd instinct in us
being worse online. The speaker cites at least one study from a school
on the
east side of the huge puddle.
The video is a bit over four and a half minutes.

The anti Vietnam War movement alienated me. I could relate to anyone who
was genuinely against the war, but, like the video says, the movement
was mostly a herd who didn't really care. Bob Dylan seems to have agreed
with me.

This is from a 1966 Playboy interview:

***********
PLAYBOY: How do you feel about those who have risked imprisonment by
burning their draft cards to signify their opposition to U. S.
involvement in Vietnam, and by refusing - as your friend Joan Baez has
done - to pay their income taxes as a protest against the Government's
expenditures on war and weaponry? Do you think they're wasting their time?

DYLAN: Burning draft cards isn't going to end any war. It's not even
going to save any lives. If someone can feel more honest with himself by
burning his draft card, then that's great; but if he's just going to
feel more important because he does it, then that's a drag. I really
don't know too much about Joan Baez and her income-tax problems. The
only thing I can tell you about Joan Baez is that she's not Belle Starr.
************

This is from a 1968 interview with Happy Traum, who had released Blowin'
in the Wind before Dylan:

**********
Traum: Probably the most pressing thing going on in a political sense is
the war. Now I'm not saying any artist or group of artists can change
the course of the war, but they still feel it their responsibility to
say something.

Dylan: I know some very good artists who are for the war.

Traum: Well, I'm just talking about the ones who are against it.

Dylan: That's like what I'm talking about; it's for or against the war.
That really doesn't exist. It's not for or against the war. I'm speaking
of a certain painter, and he's all for the war. He's just about ready to
go over there himself. And I can comprehend him.

Traum: Why can't you argue with him?

Dylan: I can see what goes into his painting, and why should I?

Later in the interview:

Traum: My feeling is that with a person who is for the war and ready to
go over there, I don't think it would be possible for you and him to
share the same values.

Dylan: I've known him a long time, he's a gentleman and I admire him,
he's a friend of mine. People just have their views. Anyway, how do you
know that I'm not, as you say, for the war?
**********

I love the part where he observed that Baez wasn't Belle Star.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NafrFdBXfrk
Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns quoted: "Dylan: I've known him a long time,
he's a gentleman and I admire him, he's a friend of
mine. People just have their views. Anyway, how do you
know that I'm not, as you say, for the war?"

$$$$$$!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2015 2:54 AM, J Burns wrote:
[...]

I've always wondered how herds ever manage a unique thought amongst the
members. From what I can tell herds are threatened by any form of
uniqueness.

--
Maggie