Posted to alt.home.repair

Default avoiding lightning

http://stormhighway.com/safety.php

This is interesting:

if you are unable to reach shelter and you experience any of these
signs, or if you otherwise feel that you are in immediate danger, assume
the following position quickly:

Move your feet close together, crouch down, and grab your ankles. Tuck
your head down as far as you can. Don't lie flat on the ground.

Even so, this traditionally-recommended 'crouch' position may not
prevent injury from a strike (there is no evidence to support it having
any effect). Again, your focus should be avoiding getting into such a
situation - it's never good to have to consider using such dubious 'last
resorts' to begin with.

So they recommend the crouch even though it says there is no evidence it
helps. And why isn't lying on the ground good? That was my
plan. Why should I change to crouching when it says there is no
evidence it works?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 6:23:23 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Move your feet close together, crouch down, and grab your ankles. Tuck
your head down as far as you can. Don't lie flat on the ground.

Why should I change to crouching when it says there is no
evidence it works?

It's so you'll be in the proper position to kiss your ass goodbye.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 5:23:23 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
[...]

You minimize the lateral distance to prevent the voltage drop from foot to foot. I imagine you crouch to prevent falling over. If a strike occurs, it's best to be short on the ground. If it's really direct, you're dead. All the instructions seem to be shortening any path the lightning may take.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| So they recommend the crouch even though it says there is no evidence it
| helps. And why isn't lying on the ground good? That was my
| plan. Why should I change to crouching when it says there is no
| evidence it works?

I think the crouching probably just makes you
less of a target. Lying on the ground is bad
because it's important to prevent it going through
your heart. Four-legged animals are thus at
greater risk than us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I would imagine one of those spikey Punk hairdos would be quite dangerous too. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Sparkly Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 16:05:46 -0700 (PDT), Uncle
Monster wrote:

[...]

Dang. My mother told me to get a haircut and I don't want to.

[8~{} Uncle Sparkly Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2015 6:32 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 6:23:23 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Move your feet close together, crouch down, and grab your ankles. Tuck
your head down as far as you can. Don't lie flat on the ground.

Why should I change to crouching when it says there is no
evidence it works?

It's so you'll be in the proper position to kiss your ass goodbye.

Winter storms, lay over a three foot diameter
log.

Makes it easier for the park rangers to remove
your body from the forest, over the back of
pack mules.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 18:01:41 -0500, Mayayana
wrote:

| So they recommend the crouch even though it says there is no evidence
it
| helps. And why isn't lying on the ground good? That was my
| plan. Why should I change to crouching when it says there is no
| evidence it works?

I think the crouching probably just makes you
less of a target. Lying on the ground is bad
because it's important to prevent it going through
your heart. Four-legged animals are thus at
greater risk than us.

The wiring for livestock buildings has special
provisions just because of livestock sensibility to
stray voltages.
We won't even notice voltage that might discourage critters
from drinking from a tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per micky:
Move your feet close together, crouch down, and grab your ankles. Tuck
your head down as far as you can. Don't lie flat on the ground.

Sounds a little like the "Atomic bomb survival position" we were taught
in grade school - except yours ended with "... and kiss your ass
goodbye"...
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per (PeteCresswell):
Sounds a little like the "Atomic bomb survival position" we were taught
in grade school - except yours ended with "... and kiss your ass
goodbye"...

Oops... Trader_4 beat me to it...
--
Pete Cresswell