Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,uk.rec.sheds

Default Glasgow bus stop built in cycle lane - BBC News

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 19:52:29 +0100, "Tough Guy no. 1265"
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-33628011

I don't understand the problem, this is common round here. Cycle lane all along the road,
and every so often there's a bus stop marked on the road. The bicycles have to go round
the bus, just like the cars do. The bus clearly has to stop against the pavement to allow
the passengers to get off. If the cycle lane was not broken, the bicycles would crash into
the boarding pedestrians.

But that's what most cyclists TRY to do, Pedro!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-33628011

I don't understand the problem, this is common round here. Cycle lane all along the road,
and every so often there's a bus stop marked on the road. The bicycles have to go round
the bus, just like the cars do. The bus clearly has to stop against the pavement to allow
the passengers to get off. If the cycle lane was not broken, the bicycles would crash into
the boarding pedestrians.

But that's what most cyclists TRY to do, Pedro!

There's a big difference between the bus stopping against the curb to load and unload passengers and the placement of the bus *shelter* directly in the bike path.

In this case, the cyclists would need to leave the bike path regardless of whether there is a bus anywhere in the area or not. They don't even have the choice of staying behind a bus and waiting for it to move. Based on the fact that they built the structure directly in the bike path, they are forcing cyclists to go around it at all times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/22/2015 01:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
In this case, the cyclists would need to leave the bike path regardless of whether there is a bus anywhere in the area or not. They don't even have the choice of staying behind a bus and waiting for it to move. Based on the fact that they built the structure directly in the bike path, they are forcing cyclists to go around it at all times.

One of our brilliant city engineers fell in love with bulb-outs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_extension

"Poorly designed curb extensions can pose a hazard to cyclists, as they
force cyclists from their position at the road side (or in a roadside
bike lane) into the narrowed gap. They can also damage vehicles if the
curbs extend too close to traffic lanes.[3]"

And of course, they're all poorly designed. They also fell in love with
miniature roundabouts.

Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,uk.rec.sheds

Yess indeed and they expect blind people to actually see them as well, as a
number of my friends have found to their cost.

Luckily, the council has been given some money from Bozo the Mayor to make a
proper cycle lane with 'floating' bus stops. Now the debate is how to get
pedestrians across the cycle lane without being run over by bikes.
Tell me, do cyclists suffer some kind of brain freeze when mounted up and
pedalling, as it seems they are oblivious to everything when in a lane with
cycles printed on it.
Must be the saddle.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-33628011

I don't understand the problem, this is common round here. Cycle lane all
along the road,
and every so often there's a bus stop marked on the road. The bicycles
have to go round
the bus, just like the cars do. The bus clearly has to stop against the
pavement to allow
the passengers to get off. If the cycle lane was not broken, the bicycles
would crash into
the boarding pedestrians.

But that's what most cyclists TRY to do, Pedro!

Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,uk.rec.sheds

"Brian-Gaff" wrote in message
Yess indeed and they expect blind people to actually see them as well, as
a number of my friends have found to their cost.

Luckily, the council has been given some money from Bozo the Mayor to make
a proper cycle lane with 'floating' bus stops. Now the debate is how to
get pedestrians across the cycle lane without being run over by bikes.
Tell me, do cyclists suffer some kind of brain freeze when mounted up
and pedalling, as it seems they are oblivious to everything when in a lane
with cycles printed on it.
Must be the saddle.
Brian

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-33628011

I don't understand the problem, this is common round here. Cycle lane
all along the road,
and every so often there's a bus stop marked on the road. The bicycles
have to go round
the bus, just like the cars do. The bus clearly has to stop against the
pavement to allow
the passengers to get off. If the cycle lane was not broken, the
bicycles would crash into
the boarding pedestrians.

But that's what most cyclists TRY to do, Pedro!

Brian,
Are you telling me that you'd wander across a cycle lane with no regard and
just expect cyclists to stop for you with no way that they know you are
blind?

How do you deal with electric cars?

--
David B
http://waterfalls.me.uk

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 16:38:04 +0100, "Brian-Gaff"
wrote:

Yess indeed and they expect blind people to actually see them as well, as a
number of my friends have found to their cost.

Luckily, the council has been given some money from Bozo the Mayor to make a
proper cycle lane with 'floating' bus stops. Now the debate is how to get
pedestrians across the cycle lane without being run over by bikes.
Tell me, do cyclists suffer some kind of brain freeze when mounted up and
pedalling, as it seems they are oblivious to everything when in a lane with
cycles printed on it.
Must be the saddle.
Brian

Indeed. It presses on the prostate gland and causes all kinds of
mental aberrations.